Patrick Stepping Away From Basketball

Strictly speaking in terms of basketball and on the court stuff…he hasn’t been “right” since the Wisconsin game.

Tough deal... As far as the team is concerned holy smokes. If he's out for very long this team is toast. Heck it may already be too late frankly. What are the odds Iowa makes the dance now? Is what it is as they say. Play the hand you're dealt. Fran has his work cut out for him

The Eastern Illinois game was the killer. If they can get to 9 or 10 wins in conference play and win two in the B1G tourney there’s a shot. They have a lot of work to do and it starts with Indiana tomorrow. As far as I’m concerned, Kris can jack up as many shots as he wants.

Since Iowa St and the proceeding game, the team has really been struggling. Injuries, severe shooting slumps, trying to fill in holes in depth charts (lack of overall team height), losing a Top 4 Draft to the NBA, losing the all-time 3 pointer shooter in program history, the Sweet 16 monkey hanging over the program....

Maybe the goal for the rest of the year for this team really should be just having fun, trying to get better even if baby steps, and focusing on the next team on the schedule. Don't even worry about the NCAA tournament right now.

In all likelihood, this roster is not one that would go very far in March....at least based off of what we have seen, the lack of height, inconsistent or non-existent shooting out of pretty much all of the guards....they have KM and Rebraca....and Connor's experience...but just to many holes.

Hopefully Patrick can heal up and the rest of this team can somehow find a way to relax and not let a miss get into their heads. I'm hoping that the Penn St comeback was a good start in building some confidence. Iowa has the next 4 of 5 games at home so that could help with also building some confidence.

Bottomline, just relax, have fun, and use this year to grow.

Fans, if they have not already, probably also need to re-adjust expectations for this year moving forward.
I agree. I'd give way more time to guys like Bowen and Dix now. (How is Dix too btw he had an ankle or leg injury last game didn't he?) Even big Josh and other big. Just throw them out there. Winning many games as the BIG season gets going doesn't seem to be on the table. We just lost 3 straight all to the 'bottom' of the league. It's not going to get any easier.

The Eastern Illinois game was the killer. If they can get to 9 or 10 wins in conference play and win two in the B1G tourney there’s a shot. They have a lot of work to do and it starts with Indiana tomorrow. As far as I’m concerned, Kris can jack up as many shots as he wants.
Yeah Kris is going to be a marked man out there as if he already wasn't. He's got the greenest of green lights. So who's going to start now I assume Sandfort will... He only got 8 mins last game. Fran finally took away floor time from him due to his play but I don't think he can do that now... Is there a snow balls chance he finds his shot now? Wouldn't be a better time

For somebody his age and the dynamic of playing for his father coming out and being open about this, I have huge respect for him. That is not easy. Props to him and I hope this eases his path to handle this and get better.

Patrick - We all support you. Always remember you are not alone. This is quite common.

If I may add. There are A LOT of people walking around who deal with this along with depression who are not diagnosed as of yet, of all ages. When I am saying he is not alone, he is not alone. He just has the balls to be open about it. Remarkable!

Last edited:
Yeah Kris is going to be a marked man out there as if he already wasn't. He's got the greenest of green lights. So who's going to start now I assume Sandfort will... He only got 8 mins last game. Fran finally took away floor time from him due to his play but I don't think he can do that now... Is there a snow balls chance he finds his shot now? Wouldn't be a better time
Would love to see Kingsbury get a shot here.

This next stretch will tell us a lot about Fran. Last year he pushed rhe right buttons down the stretch and until the NCAA'S. Other years we've had the Phebruary Phran Philly Phade.

They have to pull a win out of their ass that no one seen coming. Where they grind and grind and find a way. Wisconsin got theirs at out expense three in a half weeks ago and it jumped started their season. For a while there it looked like we would steal Penn State. Maybe Indiana will be our turn.

I expected them to come out tomorrow night like a wounded animal. But then again I thought the same last week.

Huge props to Patrick for going public with this. It is not easy. My daughter struggles with anxiety on a daily basis, most of the time it is manageable. But when it gets bad, it's bad. Some people think you can just "suck it up" or "get over it". I wish it were that simple but for a lot of people it is not.

By being such a public figure on a B1G basketball team, Patrick probably made it easier for someone who hasn't spoken up to move forward and get help.

Huge props to Patrick for going public with this. It is not easy. My daughter struggles with anxiety on a daily basis, most of the time it is manageable. But when it gets bad, it's bad. Some people think you can just "suck it up" or "get over it". I wish it were that simple but for a lot of people it is not.

By being such a public figure on a B1G basketball team, Patrick probably made it easier for someone who hasn't spoken up to move forward and get help.

So may I ask?

What are the signs when it gets bad for your daughter? What does she feel or how do you know that it is exacerbating?

This is what I was kind of thinking and trying to say. Well said.

This next stretch will tell us a lot about Fran. Last year he pushed rhe right buttons down the stretch and until the NCAA'S. Other years we've had the Phebruary Phran Philly Phade.

They have to pull a win out of their ass that no one seen coming. Where they grind and grind and find a way. Wisconsin got theirs at out expense three in a half weeks ago and it jumped started their season. For a while there it looked like we would steal Penn State. Maybe Indiana will be our turn.

I expected them to come out tomorrow night like a wounded animal. But then again I thought the same last week.
We already know Fran. He's human. Hes volatile. He blows up. He is uncanny about heading off disaster.

No way to predict this. I have my own issues with anxiety which many confuse with fear and it's not fear. Anxiety can have the opposite impact of fear.

I have 2 kids adopted as older kids due to trauma. Am 7 hours from home and at 2 last night got a frantic panic attack phone call from one of them. Today as dad and employee I am exhausted and not 100 percent. This will impact Fran.

Could be a dozen reasons for PMs situation including health and genetics and multiple factors.. My mind goes back to an interview he did in 2018 in re to AAU team change.

He wouldn't have done this if not severe and impactful.

Hoping the time off will allow Patrick to address the anxiety and its effect on his life. Gotta take care of yourself before you can help anyone else.

So may I ask?

What are the signs when it gets bad for your daughter? What does she feel or how do you know that it is exacerbating?
It is tough to describe but to give you an example, she attends college and basically stayed in her room for several days one week and just couldn't function properly. Her professors and the college were very understanding of her situation, so we are thankful for that.
Over her lifetime, her anxiety has manifested itself in different ways. One year in elementary school, she would only wear one particular shirt that she felt "safe" in. Most of her struggles now center on food safety, or her perception that eating a particular item will make her sick. No logic at all for the average person but for her, a very difficult thing to overcome. (And in case you are wondering, she does not have an eating disorder - totally separate situation).

I've been on meds since I was like 19 for anxiety. If I forget to take a pill even one day it will F with me. I think this season is lost anyway, maybe this will take off some of the pressure I am sure they are all feeling. Pat's facial expressions on the bench in that last game against PSU were horrible. He was like just staring off not engaged. I hope he gets help and gets it turned around. The team will do what the team does. I would put Peyton back in the starting line up. A boost in confidence and we have no real choice but to let him work it out. If not given the opportunity it could create a hell of void on our roster for a couple years with how easy it is to transfer.

I'm really impressed with the responses on this thread. I'll be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe times are changing. There still is such a heavy stigma in many circles. Thank you all.

I've spent 30 years working in psychiatric units, and now lead a psychiatric hospital. It's very heartwarming to see empathy and support. It hasn't always been this way.

I took time off work (I'm an accountant) for about 3 months in 2019, due to depression and anxiety.

I hope Patrick can figure it out. If it gets to a point you have to step back from day-to-day obligations, you're usually in a pretty dark place.

I hope we can continue to stop the stigma against mental health care.

I'm really impressed with the responses on this thread. I'll be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe times are changing. There still is such a heavy stigma in many circles. Thank you all.

I've spent 30 years working in psychiatric units, and now lead a psychiatric hospital. It's very heartwarming to see empathy and support. It hasn't always been this way.
There are a few replies on Twitter that are disgusting, I assumed HN would be way worse but I too am pleasantly surprised. I give Fry a big up for addressing that early. Mental health is a real thing that everyone should make sure to monitor. To come out and say "hey, I need to step away, I'm getting worse and I don't know how to fix it, I need to step away".

Does it have to do with how the team is playing? Probably. He's human, he knows that things have been not great the past month for the team.

There are people calling him soft on Twitter and saying he's bailing on his team and not mentally tough....seriously those people can F the straight off.

Yes the responses here are great. Lots of stigmas still exist in many segments including law enforcement, schools, business medical professionals and so forth. A kind word goes a long way. I have 2 kids (adopted) with PTSD and I personally have PTSD Basically its an anxiety disorder. I've interviewed dozens vets for books and articles with it.

Movies do a lot of disservice for sufferers. So many suffer in silence being afraid to expose it. Glad to see PM be open about it.

There are a few replies on Twitter that are disgusting, I assumed HN would be way worse but I too am pleasantly surprised. I give Fry a big up for addressing that early. Mental health is a real thing that everyone should make sure to monitor. To come out and say "hey, I need to step away, I'm getting worse and I don't know how to fix it, I need to step away".

Does it have to do with how the team is playing? Probably. He's human, he knows that things have been not great the past month for the team.

There are people calling him soft on Twitter and saying he's bailing on his team and not mentally tough....seriously those people can F the straight off.
Twitter is the worst and things like this are the reason I don't have a Twitter account.

Latest posts