Painter's Thug Defense

Wouldn't players that a floppers be considered floppers because they actually draw charges?

He executes flopping poorly as he does defense in general.

Case in point, not contesting the final Purdue basket in regulation yesterday when he was inserted and Olaseni was removed.

Name a player on our team that has taken more charges the last 3 years than McCabe. You can't. And you are right, he's not good on defense, but he's a hell of a flopper

I'm pretty sure McCabe is the winner for biggest flopper in the Big 10

I wouldn't label him a flopper. He takes charges, but most of them he's getting drilled. Sometimes he doesn't go down after contact and gets called for the foul.
He draws fouls well, can flop on rare occasions, but overall he takes charges. He gets to spots first.

If there's a flopper on Iowa's team, it's Marble but he does it on the offensive end.

I wouldn't label him a flopper. He takes charges, but most of them he's getting drilled. Sometimes he doesn't go down after contact and gets called for the foul.
He draws fouls well, can flop on rare occasions, but overall he takes charges. He gets to spots first.

If there's a flopper on Iowa's team, it's Marble but he does it on the offensive end.

I can't fault Zach; I wish he would go down more often when he draws contact as he might be whistled for fewer fouls himself.

Hand checking and physical play almost destroyed the NBA. After the NBA eliminated it it baecame once more... a "much more" beautiful game.

The NCAA really needs to outlaw hand checking. It's not good defense.. it's grabbing your opponent. It will take a year or 2 for the players and coaches to adjust and college BB will again return to being a beautiful game.

The NCAA also needs to end flopping. First extend the flopping line another foot or two. In addition to that... the defensive player should not be allowed to establish position in the open court without the offensive player being allowed to take a step and a half.

Finally, for now, offensive goal tending should be eliminated. There are way too many tip backs with the ball on the basketball rim anyway. Allow the offensive player to attack the basket where ever the ball is. A much better game and take it away for the ref to make a bad call..

Just a couple of changes that would be great.

btw for you who watch, coach, have kids in HS BB, how much is hand checking allowed?

I'm on board with this. No complaints about any game in particular, but tell the officials to to start fouling out whole lineups until it stops. The other one I see a lot of is over the back. Rebounding position doesn't mean as much as it used to.

Anyone watch the HS and AAU BB games? Still curious about hand checking? Jon, Spank, anyone?

I don't, but I did see your post before it got buried. Watching the way Clemmons and Gesell play D out top, I'd think they get away with a lot of contact at the HS level. Those guys don't grab a ton, but they aren't exactly judicious about slapping at the ball either. Given that they were just in HS last year, they probably play in at least a similar manner as they did then...old habits and all.

Last edited:
ScreenHunter_07_Oct._24_12.24.gif

Latest posts