Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

Do you want a pound of flesh, or do you want success? Do you think just anyone off the street would have led to the 10th best win% in P5 at IOWA since then?
First off, Iowa football history in the grand scheme is a very low bar. There were a hell of a lot of down years. So the number argument doesn’t pass the reality test. Secondly, playing the record game is also weak because one of the big criticisms are weak b10 schedules and weak non con schedules. This turns into the tom Davis argument in that they both won tons of games due to longevity since there is no accountability. Way too many fans are ok with being “safe” (6-8 wins) rather than thinking the program has a chance for greater. It looks more and more like we’ll never know . The AD’s middle name is “status quo”

Isn't the upside actually winning games in the B1G? Because it's going to be difficult to beat anyone not named for a direction this year.

They seem more concerned with staying the course than actually win.

First off, Iowa football history in the grand scheme is a very low bar. There were a hell of a lot of down years. So the number argument doesn’t pass the reality test. Secondly, playing the record game is also weak because one of the big criticisms are weak b10 schedules and weak non con schedules. This turns into the tom Davis argument in that they both won tons of games due to longevity since there is no accountability. Way too many fans are ok with being “safe” (6-8 wins) rather than thinking the program has a chance for greater. It looks more and more like we’ll never know . The AD’s middle name is “status quo”
Pretty weak response. Does not pass the reality test. Wins are wins are wins. Every team on the list has their own story.

Since then, we have the 10th best winning % in the country among P5.

View attachment 9392

True, they have been short on titles, but that would be tough for any program to pass on.

This key statistic, will keep Iowa in a don't change anything mode for a while. Even though this years' results will wipe away this standing, they'll point to this span.

We can fus and bitch all we want, this is good enough for Gary and Kirk. I honestly don't think Kirk is especially motivated to take a big swing at offensive prowess. If he was 3 years into his tenure, and his contract was up in 3 years, then yes he'd be decisive.

This key statistic, will keep Iowa in a don't change anything mode for a while. Even though this years' results will wipe away this standing, they'll point to this span.

We can fus and bitch all we want, this is good enough for Gary and Kirk. I honestly don't think Kirk is especially motivated to take a big swing at offensive prowess. If he was 3 years into his tenure, and his contract was up in 3 years, then yes he'd be decisive.
How many of us get upset about KF's first two years or 2014 now? If I think about that, a logical conclusion COULD Be to say ... wait till next year. Never underestimate KF. He's come back before. Maybe he now has even more motivation.

How many of us get upset about KF's first two years or 2014 now? If I think about that, a logical conclusion COULD Be to say ... wait till next year. Never underestimate KF. He's come back before. Maybe he now has even more motivation.
I do think Kirk has earned the benefit of the doubt overall, but the Offense woes have been running on nearly a decade of yearly declines now. And he's shown very little inclination in the last 4 years to actually address it.

I do think Kirk has earned the benefit of the doubt overall, but the Offense woes have been running on nearly a decade of yearly declines now. And he's shown very little inclination in the last 4 years to actually address it.
Can get much worse.

I think it's fair to say "What's the upside" is the new "That's football <snort>". Perhaps a T-shirt with both is due.

That should have been the reporters follow up response. Add to it maybe the Iowa QB would go from 127 rating to below 100.
I would have asked what's the upside to keeping Brian on as O/C? Of course that would have been the only question I would have been allowed to ask.

Do you want a pound of flesh, or do you want success? Do you think just anyone off the street would have led to the 10th best win% in P5 at IOWA since then?
Yea, but we aren't talking about overall success at Iowa. The overall success at Iowa has undoubtedly been because of two great D coordinators and Iowa's terrific D and special teams over the years. The offense has been an issue for years and now it's finally rearing its ugly head. It's to the point the D and special teams can't completely pull the offense in games.

The OP is about the upside of the offense, not Iowa historical winning %. The thought is that if the offense doesn't improve, it's going to be the demise of Iowa going forward.

Yea, but we aren't talking about overall success at Iowa. The overall success at Iowa has undoubtedly been because of two great D coordinators and Iowa's terrific D and special teams over the years. The offense has been an issue for years and now it's finally rearing its ugly head. It's to the point the D and special teams can't completely pull the offense in games.

The OP is about the upside of the offense, not Iowa historical winning %. The thought is that if the offense doesn't improve, it's going to be the demise of Iowa going forward.
KF put that together, so it's a bit more complicated. HF was great with great assistants and not so great when they left. Brett might lose his DC which would be a huge loss.

I think Kirk values experience too much. Hell he didn't think Brad Banks was ready in '01 even tho it was clear to everyone who watched the games he moved the ball better than McCann. Ferentz thinks a guy who can't move the offense at all but rarely makes mental mistakes is more important than a guy who can move the ball down the field but doesn't have the mental thing down as well.

Kirk thinks he's right that McCann was the better option because Banks ran out of bounds once before the 1st down marker. For all we know there is an '08 Stanzi type qb sitting on the sideline. Not great and makes mistakes, but moves the ball and makes plays. We need someone that can get touchdowns. Those are guaranteed points. Turnovers aren't guaranteed points for the opponent. Especially when you have our defense.
This.

Latest posts