Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

Thanks, this helps the "what's the upside" comment.

So evidently Brian has all these metrics and how the QBs look in practice that tells him Petras is their guy. Evidently how Petras performs in games does not matter. Padilla didn't look great in the 4 games he played last year but at least Iowa moved the ball and they did go 4-0 in those games. But that doesn't matter because of practice and metrics.

Based on BF description of the offense it seems complex. Everything is timing, 11guys have to be doing their job or it goes to hell in a hand basket. Another way to say it would have sounded like this: I run a offense that takes a talented line and I need a QB who can drop dimes...I have neither. Next question.

Thanks, this helps the "what's the upside" comment.

So evidently Brian has all these metrics and how the QBs look in practice that tells him Petras is their guy. Evidently how Petras performs in games does not matter. Padilla didn't look great in the 4 games he played last year but at least Iowa moved the ball and they did go 4-0 in those games. But that doesn't matter because of practice and metrics.

I don't have a huge problem with his comments. Other than, it was a tough question. Hard not to wind up dumping on either Padilla or Petras, or both, no matter how he answers. So, I forgive him for not answering. Actually, somewhat applaud him for it.

My problem is that the offense looks exactly the same as it did in the first game. This many games in, with this level of performance, there has to be a slightly different look. I need to walk away from a game thinking "well, at least they ran a few more plays where they let Petras roll to his right, he seems pretty good at that" or "well, at least it looks like they tried to run it to the outside a few more times, instead of up the middle every single run play", or "at least they tried to let Petras air it out and trip up the defense". I have to believe those plays are in the playbook. Hell, some of them might even work and hey, we got a spark of life here.

The only thing I've walked away thinking something was different was "at least they tried that one reverse".

Based on BF description of the offense it seems complex. Everything is timing, 11guys have to be doing their job or it goes to hell in a hand basket. Another way to say it would have sounded like this: I run a offense that takes a talented line and I need a QB who can drop dimes...I have neither. Next question.
Brian & Kirk consistently blame the offensive shortcomings on execution.
Translation:
We drew up the play correctly.
We called it at the right time.
Players failed to execute.
Not our fault.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't be thrilled if I were Labas when my coach says I haven't closed the gap at all on the top two QB's when QB1 looks like hot garbage and QB2 doesn't give you a better chance to win either.

I wouldn't be thrilled if I were Labas when my coach says I haven't closed the gap at all on the top two QB's when QB1 looks like hot garbage and QB2 doesn't give you a better chance to win either.
That's what's so damning about of any of the Ferentz's responses. Basically they can't coach their starters and can't coach their replacements either.

Brian says
Given our results thus far, it appears our offense may benefit from less complexity

I think Kirk values experience too much. Hell he didn't think Brad Banks was ready in '01 even tho it was clear to everyone who watched the games he moved the ball better than McCann. Ferentz thinks a guy who can't move the offense at all but rarely makes mental mistakes is more important than a guy who can move the ball down the field but doesn't have the mental thing down as well.

Kirk thinks he's right that McCann was the better option because Banks ran out of bounds once before the 1st down marker. For all we know there is an '08 Stanzi type qb sitting on the sideline. Not great and makes mistakes, but moves the ball and makes plays. We need someone that can get touchdowns. Those are guaranteed points. Turnovers aren't guaranteed points for the opponent. Especially when you have our defense.
Saying that all season, with our defense we CAN take chances, especially throwing deep. Look, Iowa is turning the ball over anyway. Why not make it worth the risk on big plays, just saying....

Latest posts