Padilla needs to start next game!

Give Padilla enough reps to qualify as having been acclimated, then start to judge him. He displayed an excellent pass; he scampered out of the pocket; he made good yards on a run; he knows how to slide like a QB. Petras can’t slide like a QB. He tears up the artificial turf, barely escapes cervical trauma, and makes the crowd feel uneasy. Padilla will surpass Petras’ passing mechanics in the next two games and surpass Petras’ game management by season’s end. He’ll be at least 50% more effective than Petras would’ve been for all of next year … if KF is prudent enough to make the switch. KF, please make the switch.
Poise is more important than a big arm. What's the use of having a cannon if is inaccurate and goes off at the wrong time, or is fixed in position and cannot be moved. Give Padilla a chance even for just a quarter to see if he has "it"......That one throw to LaPorta was better than any pass Petras made in the entire game because it showed Padilla could improvise when needed. He would have picked up the first down to on the slant to his wideout but for the drop. Perfect pass right on target.

Poise is more important than a big arm. What's the use of having a cannon if is inaccurate and goes off at the wrong time, or is fixed in position and cannot be moved. Give Padilla a chance even for just a quarter to see if he has "it"......That one throw to LaPorta was better than any pass Petras made in the entire game because it showed Padilla could improvise when needed. He would have picked up the first down to on the slant to his wideout but for the drop. Perfect pass right on target.
Yeah, that makes sense. We're on the same page. And Padilla is well liked, and excellent at practices - just needs some game time to feel assimilated and let his mojo skyrocket.

“The second team quarterback is always the most popular guy on the team” was said by quarterback Archie Manning in 1982. Still rings true today.

"With all due respect to Ricky Stanzi, Jake Christensen gives us the best chance to win."
- Kirk Ferentz, 2008

"With all due respect to C.J. Beathard, Jake Rudock gives us the best chance to win." - Kirk Ferentz, 2014

This isn't on Petras alone, but a slow QB and a terrible OL is a recipe for at least two or more losses.

Was at work for the game and gave up watching in the 4th, did not know Padilla played. Just got done watching, ok I change my vote, I don't care if he was playing against reserves, he is mobile and can throw on the run. Honestly, does Iowa have anything to lose? If nothing else it would be a wake-up call to Petras. If this crushes his confidence I don't want him as our QB. Everyone can learn sometimes by watching or being demoted. If he doesn't like the view from the bench, he can do something about it. I think this is the message Kirk needs to send. Wish he would start with his son, but that's not gonna happen. Sitting Petras, even for just a half, sends the team a message that anyone can be benched for poor play. I know Kirk thinks QB's have the fragility of a chicken's egg, but I'm guessing Petras will us it as motivation. Or Padilla takes off and runs with it, I see this as a win, win for Iowa. This isn't on Petras alone, but a slow QB and a terrible OL is a recipe for at least two or more losses.

So I'm confused. You say that "this sends the team a message that anyone can be benched for poor play" but then go on to say "this isn't on Petras alone, but a slow QB and a terrible OL is a recipe for at least two more losses". Am I misreading this? On one hand your saying that Petras should sit to light a fire and send a message to the team that it could happen to anyone, but then your saying that the switch is more in the best interest of the team based on the play of other units.

Not trying to nitpick, but I think that logic is completely off base and contradicting. If the change is going to be and KF would decide to go with Padilla it's because he has a different skillset that may help us win games, not because of Petras' "poor play". I don't think the switch would have anything to do with how Petras' has performed but rather how poorly those in front of him have been.

My other concern is how do you make a switch to a mobile QB when his linemen can't even establish a pocket for a pocket passer. I'm no Oline guru and could be way off base, but with a pocket passer (whether the pocket is there or not) the OLine knows where they need to be (or atleast where they're supposed to be) I think they'd struggle as much if not more with a QB using there feet to buy them some additional time. I thought I heard an former all-pro linemen say it was so much easier blocking for a pocket passer as opposed to a mobile QB. If that's the case I'd be equally as worried about Padilla back there as I would be Petras. I just don't think switching QBs really does anything.

Just for clarification I'm not pretending to know a damn thing about QB or Oline men or saying that anyone that thinks Padilla is the answer is wrong. Hell I don't know anything other than the offense looks far from competent at this point in the season.

So I'm confused. You say that "this sends the team a message that anyone can be benched for poor play" but then go on to say "this isn't on Petras alone, but a slow QB and a terrible OL is a recipe for at least two more losses". Am I misreading this? On one hand your saying that Petras should sit to light a fire and send a message to the team that it could happen to anyone, but then your saying that the switch is more in the best interest of the team based on the play of other units.

Not trying to nitpick, but I think that logic is completely off base and contradicting. If the change is going to be and KF would decide to go with Padilla it's because he has a different skillset that may help us win games, not because of Petras' "poor play". I don't think the switch would have anything to do with how Petras' has performed but rather how poorly those in front of him have been.

My other concern is how do you make a switch to a mobile QB when his linemen can't even establish a pocket for a pocket passer. I'm no Oline guru and could be way off base, but with a pocket passer (whether the pocket is there or not) the OLine knows where they need to be (or atleast where they're supposed to be) I think they'd struggle as much if not more with a QB using there feet to buy them some additional time. I thought I heard an former all-pro linemen say it was so much easier blocking for a pocket passer as opposed to a mobile QB. If that's the case I'd be equally as worried about Padilla back there as I would be Petras. I just don't think switching QBs really does anything.
Right now Iowa is a pocketless pair of jeans. It's doesn't have the luxury of a slow QB that is even slower with his decision making. Plus a running back trying to choose his running lanes. Instinct is the most important quality I'm looking for in a QB and a running back right now. Running for your life, that's the Iowa offense. That doesn't work when your QB can't outrun a DT or buy time to throw. Eight men in a box is the norm until Iowa does something about it. Petras gets another start to see if he can change things but what do you do if we're behind two scores in the second half against NW?

If Padilla beats out a healthy Petras that is fine and the way it should be at every position. Padilla had a very good 2nd qtr but in the second half the offense went back to its norm and Padilla didnt make much of a difference throwing the ball.

He had a bad toss in the dirt but he has a quick delivery and seems to make quick decisions and is pretty accurate. At least now we know he is serviceable.

If Padilla beats out a healthy Petras that is fine and the way it should be at every position. Padilla had a very good 2nd qtr but in the second half the offense went back to its norm and Padilla didnt make much of a difference throwing the ball.

He had a bad toss in the dirt but he has a quick delivery and seems to make quick decisions and is pretty accurate. At least now we know he is serviceable.
I think the second have was due to Uber conservative play calling, which we have all grown accustomed to. Padilla can do things Petras cannot. He has quicker feet, he sets up better, he moves through his progressions and he can thrown on the run. I saw enough last week to think he should play this week. He should start next week.

I think the second have was due to Uber conservative play calling, which we have all grown accustomed to. Padilla can do things Petras cannot. He has quicker feet, he sets up better, he moves through his progressions and he can thrown on the run. I saw enough last week to think he should play this week. He should start next week.
Yep, moves through his progressions much better.

Agree BF and OL are problems #1 & 2, however w had 23 yards at the half. 23!! Does it really matter at this point? Even on the rare occasion when Petras had time his passes still missed the mark more often than not. At this point see what else you have in the other QB with some extended game time reps as you know he will transfer out if Petras stays as statue, I mean QB, 1….
comparing a 2 year starter to a guy who has taken maybe 16 snaps. Makes sense. Padilla’s reads and progressions are 5 times as quick as Petras. Padilla’s footwork and decisions making are on point. Not much hesitation. Plus he is far more mobile then Petras. Pass to Charlie Jones as clutch. Went right through his hands. But a Perfect pass.Plus have you not been watching Iowa lately? Been garbage. Why not mix it up at QB?

Maybe it was just the Old Milwaukees' I was pounding, but Padilla looked like he should be ahead of Petras. He has better feet, he releases the ball faster, and he's more mobile and more accurate. Makes you wonder why Petras was ever ahead of him.

Padilla is better suited for this offensive line and personnel.
Bruce IV & Johnson should also be featured.
Williams more carries.

Say what said last week. Johnson should start. Bruce should get more reps. Speed up the offense with quicker QB. And OC step up. 17 points against that team should not be acceptable. When is the offense going to start playing to win rather than to not lose??? Needed win. Won’t best gophs with that approach. They seem to be every other week team. If you get a lead put them back into the ground where they belong. Go hawks

I had absolutely no complaints with the switch, but outside of the 2nd quarter I think our offense looked like they had all season long. I have no issue switching things up and going with the 2nd string if the spark is needed, but unfortunately at the end of the day it looked like nothing more than a spark as our offense found itself reverting back to normal in the second half. The problem is the lines not the QB play.

I had absolutely no complaints with the switch, but outside of the 2nd quarter I think our offense looked like they had all season long. I have no issue switching things up and going with the 2nd string if the spark is needed, but unfortunately at the end of the day it looked like nothing more than a spark as our offense found itself reverting back to normal in the second half. The problem is the lines not the QB play.
Yes, but there was no attack, no urgency. Playcalling was to keep the lead, not enlarge it. To keep the qb in an easy game managing way. If Padilla gets the next start, and he gets to work all week with the number 1's, the game plan would be different. We have tough games ahead, the way we played this past Saturday will lose them all.

Latest posts