Padilla needs to start next game!

Only 19 games left with petras at the helm behind the offensive genuis of BF and KOK...both arguably the worst OC coordinators on an iowa sideline in history...hang in there fans.
Greg Davis takes that award.
Really rudimentary stuff here, but BF is making a run for it:

Passing
YearGamesAttCompComp %YdsYds/GameTDINTYPAYPC
20121238922357.33%2249187.42785.7810.09
2021823513457.02%1426178.25966.0710.64

Rushing
YearGamesAttYardsAvgTD

Total Offense
YearGamesPlaysYardsYds/Play

I think the small sample size was enough to show Padilla has enough mobility to be more of a factor with this porous OLine. Especially with more in game reps. It cannot get any worse, but I’m sure a change won’t happen because it’s KF.

A really mobile QB like Tate or Banks would definitely make this OLine less of a liability because they could evade blitzes, you could go to much more roll out run pass options.

But I still think you can move the pocket for Petras on half the passing plays.

And when you move the pocket it is an optimum time for a shovel pass which is something foreign to the Brian F playbook.

Passing

Rushing
YearGamesAttYardsAvgTD

Total Offense
Wow that’s discouraging.
I guess the eyeball test isn’t always wrong.

Passing

Rushing
YearGamesAttYardsAvgTD

Total Offense
Again, apples/oranges.

In 2015 Davis had a better OL (not even close), a better QB, and better RB talent.

The offensive line is the lynch pin of any team's offense. If it breaks down, everything breaks down. Teams figure out you can't run block, then the box is stacked with no consequences. When you can't pass block and teams are sending 3 guys every play (because you can't run the ball), what is any RB or QB supposed to do? Blocking is more important than any running or passing scheme.

The failures we're seeing on offense are because of depth, and that's a failure in recruiting. When you are forced to use freshman lineman in the Big Ten because your upper classmen aren't talented enough, that's a team-wide recruiting fail. And it's not a matter of a new OL coach coming on board or lack of development. Your OL doesn't go full send in the dumpster in the space of 6 months, it takes multiple years of recruiting misses. Even if you don't agree with me, LeShun Daniels and WUW have said the exact same thing, and I'd believe them before I believed a single soul on this board.

As much as I'm not a BF fan, go back and look at his first three 3rd down play calls of the Wisconsin game. They were really good calls. They weren't executed because our OL is probably one of the worst 2 or 3 of the entire league.

A really mobile QB like Tate or Banks would definitely make this OLine less of a liability because they could evade blitzes, you could go to much more roll out run pass options.

But I still think you can move the pocket for Petras on half the passing plays.

And when you move the pocket it is an optimum time for a shovel pass which is something foreign to the Brian F playbook.
Could they write the playbook on a napkin?

Again, apples/oranges.

In 2015 Davis had a better OL (not even close), a better QB, and better RB talent.

The offensive line is the lynch pin of any team's offense. If it breaks down, everything breaks down. Teams figure out you can't run block, then the box is stacked with no consequences. When you can't pass block and teams are sending 3 guys every play (because you can't run the ball), what is any RB or QB supposed to do. Blocking is more important than any running or passing scheme.

The failures we're seeing on offense are because of depth, and that's a failure in recruiting. When you are forced to use freshman lineman in the Big Ten because your upper classmen aren't talented enough, that's a team-wide recruiting fail. And it's not a matter of a new OL coach coming on board or lack of development. Your OL doesn't go full send in the dumpster in the space of 6 months, it takes multiple years of recruiting misses. Even if you don't agree with me, LeShun Daniels and WUW have said the exact same thing, and I'd believe them before I believed a single soul on this board.

As much as I'm not a BF fan, go back and look at his first three 3rd down play calls of the Wisconsin game. They were really good calls. They weren't executed because our OL is probably one of the worst 2 or 3 of the entire league.
Yep, even a novice can see the line is the problem. Totally agree with your observations.

To be fair to Padilla a little bit here. He's never gotten the #1 reps in practice. He hasn't hardly worked with the first team much especially since the seasons been going if he has at all. Plus getting thrown in the fire late in the game like that isn't easy either.

I'm not saying he'd be better then Petras if he got all the 1st team reps etc etc for a few weeks because if that was the case he'd have probably pushed more for the job then he has. It hasn't really seemed all that close. Which is scary. But never the less Petras hasn't gotten any better at all. Maybe Padilla could if he were to get those reps and play? I don't know. I just know what's happening doesn't work

I don't think Padilla starting is the answer. Purdue and Wisconsin just manhandled our offensive line. Padilla with some playing time did show a bit more ability to move and escape pressure, but missed some passes. I would think Petras continues to start, but I wouldn't be surprised if his lease is a bit shorter moving forward. Be surprised if Ol Patty doesn't bring the house when after our 2 failed runs and we are in 3rd and long like we usually are.

I

To be fair to Padilla a little bit here. He's never gotten the #1 reps in practice. He hasn't hardly worked with the first team much especially since the seasons been going if he has at all. Plus getting thrown in the fire late in the game like that isn't easy either.

I'm not saying he'd be better then Petras if he got all the 1st team reps etc etc for a few weeks because if that was the case he'd have probably pushed more for the job then he has. It hasn't really seemed all that close. Which is scary. But never the less Petras hasn't gotten any better at all. Maybe Padilla could if he were to get those reps and play? I don't know. I just know what's happening doesn't work
How can anyone argue your point as it could be true. Like you said we just don’t know. I did notice in spring practice that there were some passes where Paddy looked damn good, and then he would look shakey. Maybe more reps with the first team could make a difference. He may not be greased lightning but you can tell he is a step quicker than Petras.

As bad as our line has looked the last two games I think a super hero like “the flash” could be sacked, lol.

Mixed bag. One side of me wants to say it a young inexperienced line and this is what happens when you go through these types of growing pains.
The other side of me says, well who’s responsible for this mess. We all know that it falls upon the coach’s son.

I have two son’s myself. I can’t imagine what I would be going through in my mind and heart if I owned a company and hired one of my sons to run a significant part of that company. Then to watch that particular portion of my company (let’s say the sales department) start to struggle. The company has been fairly strong for many years (especially the production side) but sales are starting to wain. If things don’t pick up it likely will affect the rest of the company.

Kirk admitted in his post game press conference that the offense is struggling. As a dad myself I wouldn’t want to be in this position. So in that regard as hard as I have been on Kirk I do have some compassion for him.

From another perspective; If my father had the same business and I had been chosen me to run the sales department and I saw the decline and realized the tough position my father was in, what would I do. I believe I would hope for great Christmas sales. If that didn’t happen I would have to do the right thing for my Dad, and co-workers and step down. This taking the pressure off of my father.

So we have a few games left to see if things improve. Maybe they will. As a life long Iowa fan I want to see that happen. 10-2 is a very good year in hawkeyeville. Yes disappointing with the quick start and national attention we had, but still a very good year.

However if we lose half of the remaining games then we are basically at our usual water mark. Not the end of the world, disappointing, but we are used to this and as usual have to look ahead to next year.

If we somehow manage to eff up the rest of this season then one of two things will have to happen. A head coach retires or steps down or a Dad is going g to have to do something that none of us father would ever want to do.

Let’s win the rest and go 10-2 and look forward to next season. That’s my choice. Am I skeptical………… after the last two games………we all know the answer to that question………yet slightly hopeful.

Dat's the Spirit, BigD

Again, apples/oranges.

The offensive line is the lynch pin of any team's offense. If it breaks down, everything breaks down. Teams figure out you can't run block, then the box is stacked with no consequences. When you can't pass block and teams are sending 3 guys every play (because you can't run the ball), what is any RB or QB supposed to do? Blocking is more important than any running or passing scheme.

I assume you mean 2012 (not 2015). I also tried to throw out the disclaimer that it was a very rudimentary way of looking at it. Actually, for some reason I thought we were talking about 2012 vs. 2021, which is why I made the comparison I did.

But, I will say that I'm pretty sure there was some point in the 2012 season (Penn State maybe?) where we lost 2 starting lineman for the season (?) in the same game?

I would also throw out there that our RB's that year were Weisman and Bullock...I feel like Goodson and IKM would compare favorably with those 2.

I will agree that JVB was a better QB than Petras. We saw what JVB could do in 2011 when he had a really good WR in McNutt.

I am not going to try to refute the argument that this season's failures fall on the OL and maybe more specifically, the OL recruiting. I've coached enough teams to know that it doesn't matter if you are running the Air Raid Face Melter A-11 Rocket offense, if you can't block anyone your offense isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

So you're going to the practices and observing that he has "never gotten #1 reps in practice"? I'm not saying he has or he hasn't, but you're stating he hasn't with no evidence.

I'm just saying that any in-season talent evaluation is something we have no visibility. And making any assumptions without any evidence is not the smartest tactic. I used to coach HS basketball and took a lot of grief for playing Joe vs Mark vs Denny vs Matt. However, none of the parents were willing to come to practices to see exactly what went on during our practices. It's easy to criticize, that's why politicians get elected. It's much harder to evaluate what you have and determine a course from there. EVERYBODY wants to win every game - even Kirk and Brian.

well when a 10 year old can predict what the offense will do. Fairly simple to have the defense pin their ears back and stop the run.
Every Iowa first down today:
sack
run
run
sack
run
run
run
pass(TD drive)
run
pass
pass
sacked
pass
run
Purdue game was similar. Now as a DC, how easy is that to game plan for?
But which run is coming?

Again, apples/oranges.

Teams with good offenses don't seem to get awards for their OLINE as often as teams with bad ones, like ours. It's definitely strange that no matter how Iowa's OLINE is, as the linchpin, that they're always in the bottom half of offenses.

I assume you mean 2012 (not 2015). I also tried to throw out the disclaimer that it was a very rudimentary way of looking at it. Actually, for some reason I thought we were talking about 2012 vs. 2021, which is why I made the comparison I did.

But, I will say that I'm pretty sure there was some point in the 2012 season (Penn State maybe?) where we lost 2 starting lineman for the season (?) in the same game?

I would also throw out there that our RB's that year were Weisman and Bullock...I feel like Goodson and IKM would compare favorably with those 2.

I will agree that JVB was a better QB than Petras. We saw what JVB could do in 2011 when he had a really good WR in McNutt.

I am not going to try to refute the argument that this season's failures fall on the OL and maybe more specifically, the OL recruiting. I've coached enough teams to know that it doesn't matter if you are running the Air Raid Face Melter A-11 Rocket offense, if you can't block anyone your offense isn't going anywhere.
Yeah, I'm not sure where Fryowa was going with that. In my opinion, this is the worst O line since 2012. The difference is that season had two starters and future stars (Scherff and Donnal) go down for the year against Penn State. Also, Damon Bullock wasn't anywhere near Tyler Goodson as a running back. And the OC was new, and trying to shoehorn players he didn't recruit into a new system. Well, sort of a new system, since he had to attempt to mesh his horizontal passing game with the Ferentz required zone blocking scheme.

So all those factors explain 2012's debacle of an offense. It's harder for me to wrap my head around this year's issues. They've known what horses were in the stable for a while now. There wasn't a new system being implemented. If the staff had concerns with the development of the offensive line, then the transfer portal was available to them. DeJong, Richman and Plumb are all out there playing - it's not like 2012 where two of them went down with season ending injuries.

So more than recruiting misses, this seems like an inability to assess the ability/development/readiness of guys who have already been on campus for a while. Unlike Davis in 2012, there isn't a new OC or a new scheme here. It is hard to understand how the staff could be so far off in evaluating their current roster in a position the head coach and OC supposedly specialize in.

I know we don't see practice so we are all out of our lanes here, but it is also hard to see how Padilla couldn't play some role. You'd hope that the staff would have assessed by August or even early September that the O-tackles simply weren't going to work with an immobile QB, and maybe started exploring some packages in which Padilla was inserted and put on the move with a lot of roll outs. Again, I get that we don't see practice, so we have no idea what the gap to Petras is here. Still, on paper you have a QB who has been on campus almost three years and talented enough to be offered by Georgia, smart enough to be offered by Ivy League schools, who can clearly move and throw on the run a ton better than Petras, and by many accounts (this is subjective) was the more accurate passer in the spring.

As I said, it's hard to wrap my head around how there can't be some kind of role or fit there....

So you're going to the practices and observing that he has "never gotten #1 reps in practice"? I'm not saying he has or he hasn't, but you're stating he hasn't with no evidence.

I'm just saying that any in-season talent evaluation is something we have no visibility. And making any assumptions without any evidence is not the smartest tactic. I used to coach HS basketball and took a lot of grief for playing Joe vs Mark vs Denny vs Matt. However, none of the parents were willing to come to practices to see exactly what went on during our practices. It's easy to criticize, that's why politicians get elected. It's much harder to evaluate what you have and determine a course from there. EVERYBODY wants to win every game - even Kirk and Brian.
No I'm not at practice. I do know that D1 schools have time for 20 hours of the kids time a week. That's it. Do they give 1 day off a week so spread out over 6 days is 3 hours a day. That includes meetings with position coaches and coordinators. Besides on the field reps. I'm not sure where lifting weights figures into that exactly. They don't get a heck of a lot of reps as it is frankly. Not as much as they'd probably all like.

I'd say it's a safe assumption that Padilla hasn't received a single rep with the 1st team since the season has started. Unless Petras was sick or nicked up and didn't go for one or two which I would think we'd have heard about he's been getting them all and even if not it sure wouldn't have been very many. Maybe some schools split up the reps some with their qbs but I've never heard of that being a thing at Iowa even when the JR/CJB debate was going on.

All of this being the case just compounds the importance of what spring ball and fall practice leading up to the season is. That's really where depth charts are often decided. Iowa is so reluctant to shake the tree QB wise. It takes an act of congress to make a move at that spot it seems like.

Was at work for the game and gave up watching in the 4th, did not know Padilla played. Just got done watching, ok I change my vote, I don't care if he was playing against reserves, he is mobile and can throw on the run. Honestly, does Iowa have anything to lose? If nothing else it would be a wake-up call to Petras. If this crushes his confidence I don't want him as our QB. Everyone can learn sometimes by watching or being demoted. If he doesn't like the view from the bench, he can do something about it. I think this is the message Kirk needs to send. Wish he would start with his son, but that's not gonna happen. Sitting Petras, even for just a half, sends the team a message that anyone can be benched for poor play. I know Kirk thinks QB's have the fragility of a chicken's egg, but I'm guessing Petras will us it as motivation. Or Padilla takes off and runs with it, I see this as a win, win for Iowa. This isn't on Petras alone, but a slow QB and a terrible OL is a recipe for at least two or more losses.

but yet we likely have the best center not named hilgenberg in the history of iowa football...scratch your head if you must.

Give Padilla enough reps to qualify as having been acclimated, then start to judge him. He displayed an excellent pass; he scampered out of the pocket; he made good yards on a run; he knows how to slide like a QB. Petras can’t slide like a QB. He tears up the artificial turf, barely escapes cervical trauma, and makes the crowd feel uneasy. Padilla will surpass Petras’ passing mechanics in the next two games and surpass Petras’ game management by season’s end. He’ll be at least 50% more effective than Petras would’ve been for all of next year … if KF is prudent enough to make the switch. KF, please make the switch.

Latest posts