Overall this decade has been a disaster for Iowa football

For the 1000th time the most significant accomplishment of that season was a weak division title. Sort of like winning the NL Central and crashing out in the divisional round of the MLB playoffs. While nice, nothing to write home about. Iowa fans overvalue 2015 to the nth degree.

We were 1 stop away from playing in the BCS Playoff against Bama. That loss took everything out of the Hawks the Rose Bowl wasn't the goal when we lost that game against MSU. the season for them was over. You don't get that close and leave everything on the field and recover from that loss and Iowa didn't.

Signature accomplishment = a single B10 West title in an overall weak division.

Disaster.

The B1G west had 3 10+ win teams that year.

Did the Wisconsin Badger B1G championship in 2012 count? They finished 3rd in the B1G East at 4-4 and won the B1G.

We were 1 stop away from playing in the BCS Playoff against Bama. That loss took everything out of the Hawks the Rose Bowl wasn't the goal when we lost that game against MSU. the season for them was over. You don't get that close and leave everything on the field and recover from that loss and Iowa didn't.

Yep, we were literally inches away from a playoff birth, but @STLhawkeye20 calls that a disaster. You can't make this shit up, they really think it.

Yep, we were literally inches away from a playoff birth, but @STLhawkeye20 calls that a disaster. You can't make this shit up, they really think it.

giphy.gif

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the RZ struggles mostly come down to the fact that Iowa can't run the ball. They're not good at it and combined with the fact that other teams know its coming because Kirk can't get away from it = can't run with much success.

Iowa had both of those guys last year and against the 4 top opponents they played: ISU, Wisconsin, PSU, and NW the offense struggled to do much of anything. When they did get something going they shot themselves in the foot. They even struggled against Maryland.

The big difference is Iowa isn't lighting the bottom feeders this season like they did last year against Minnesota, Illinois, & Indiana.

So we wouldn't be better with 2 program changing TE's this season? With the strides the WR's have made? 2 guys that combined for 14 TD's last season and TE's block in Iowa scheme a lot right? They also open the middle of the field and draw the LB's away from the box. That wouldn't help our running game at all I am sure. We will definitely have to agree to disagree.

So if we can pick and chose what does and doesn't count can we claim a Big Ten Title in 2015 and simply claim that the last minute doesn't count because we were winning up to that point? Can someone please elaborate on what can/can't be thrown out. There needs to be some rules in place otherwise I'm printing those 2015 Big Ten Champ shirts.

So we wouldn't be better with 2 program changing TE's this season? With the strides the WR's have made? 2 guys that combined for 14 TD's last season and TE's block in Iowa scheme a lot right? They also open the middle of the field and draw the LB's away from the box. That wouldn't help our running game at all I am sure. We will definitely have to agree to disagree.

You would think it would. For most coaches it would.

But unless its a AA level offensive linemen and RBs, I have a hard time believe that it would make that much a difference with Kirk. There is too much evidence over too long of a time period that regardless of talent level and experience they have, Iowa's offense is sub-standard.

Seriously Kirk has 3 guys at minimum on his OL right now that will be drafted and play in the pros. And they still can't put together a solid OL. Most coaches would be doing cartwheels down the field if you gave them Iowa's tackles and center.

So if we can pick and chose what does and doesn't count can we claim a Big Ten Title in 2015 and simply claim that the last minute doesn't count because we were winning up to that point? Can someone please elaborate on what can/can't be thrown out. There needs to be some rules in place otherwise I'm printing those 2015 Big Ten Champ shirts.

It’s not that it “doesn’t count,” it’s that it’s overvalued and gives the impression that Iowa football has been better during the last decade than it has been in reality. It’s a statistical anomaly compared to the past 10 seasons and there’s recency bias in play.

it's Disasterous when a college football program makes a bowl game 9 out of 10 years. Boy what a disaster

Ugh that’s such an ISU mindset. In reality Iowa has to win 3-4 games per year against B10 bottom feeders to make a bowl game. Not that hard to make a bowl game in this era and the Insight Bowl and even the Outback at this point are the equivalent of participation trophies. And it’s not like a 3-6 record in bowl games (largely mediocre bowls Pinstripe lol) hurts my argument.

It’s not that it “doesn’t count,” it’s that it’s overvalued and gives the impression that Iowa football has been better during the last decade than it has been in reality. It’s a statistical anomaly compared to the past 10 seasons and there’s recency bias in play.

hahahahahaha.

So if wins against cupcakes are valued differently than shouldn't losses against cupcakes? I've only seen overall records, nonconference records, and bowl records. Can someone provide cupcake records?

Latest posts