Overall this decade has been a disaster for Iowa football

Iowa fans blow my mind sometimes. Do you think Minnesota fans are eating their own right now, calling their 9-0 record something that shouldn't even be considered?

Iowa fans blow my mind sometimes. Do you think Minnesota fans are eating their own right now, calling their 9-0 record something that shouldn't even be considered?

Depends on what happens for the rest of the year. 9-0 doesn’t mean shit unless Minny converts it into a B10 championship or “BCS” equivalent bowl victory. Teams are not remembered or revered for regular season accomplishments.

yeah, IMO, Hawkeye fans actually DEVALUE the 2015 season to the nth degree. I get why ... but a 12-0 regular season is/was and always will be special no matter how anyone tries to spin it and it would be at ANY school and in any year.

Not special because the regular season is insignificant compared to postseason/conference success. 12-0 is important because it gives you the opportunity to play for a conference championship and for a berth in the playoffs. No one cares about regular season success if it doesn’t result in a championship at the end of the day.

So natty titles or bust now. Anything short is a disaster and fire everyone!

You guys are crazy. You know that’s not the argument and that’s a complete mischaracterization of what’s been said in this thread. No one’s saying national championship or bust or even B10 championship or bust every year. It’s a disaster that Iowa, in a WEAK division and NFL TALENT on its roster year in and year out, and SENIOR QBs, hasn’t taken advantage to at least appear in more championship games. I’m not saying that Iowa should be there every year. But you really think it’s unreasonable to expect more than ONE appearance in Indy per decade? It should at least be 3 appearances every 10 years. It’s been a disaster that Iowa’s had this window of opportunity in the B1G West and flushed it down the tubes.

Not special because the regular season is insignificant compared to postseason/conference success. 12-0 is important because it gives you the opportunity to play for a conference championship and for a berth in the playoffs. No one cares about regular season success if it doesn’t result in a championship at the end of the day.

How do you even enjoy sports? Seems like in your view a season is insignificant if you don't come away winning the whole thing. Lucky for you you're an Iowa fan where it's nothing but hardware and trophies. Based on your evaluation of success I'm not sure you'd even be able to find happiness as a fan of any of the elite programs.

Depends on what happens for the rest of the year. 9-0 doesn’t mean shit unless Minny converts it into a B10 championship or “BCS” equivalent bowl victory. Teams are not remembered or revered for regular season accomplishments.

LOL, so if you don't win your conference or don't win a BCS Bowl, the season is a disaster.

How do you even enjoy sports? Seems like in your view a season is insignificant if you don't come away winning the whole thing. Lucky for you you're an Iowa fan where it's nothing but hardware and trophies. Based on your evaluation of success I'm not sure you'd even be able to find happiness as a fan of any of the elite programs.

My standard for success is reasonable. Any of the following would qualify the entire decade as “not a disaster” in my perspective:

1) A SINGLE B10 championship
2) 2-3 appearances in the championship game in Indy
3) A SINGLE “BCS” equivalent bowl victory
4) An overall better bowl record (Cap One, Holiday, etc)
5) Playoff berth (even resulting in a loss)

Which one of those is unreasonable for an entire decade? Never said my benchmark is a national title.

Definitely special. Iowa went to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 30 years. You are wrong and this is not even a debate. Not to mention that Iowa has won an ORANGE BOWL in the last decade. So an ORANGE BOWL win and a ROSE BOWL trip in this decade of disaster we're in the midst of has to be killing you. Go look thru the history books for Iowa and then look for how many season's ended with a 0 in the L column or how many BCS caliber bowl wins they have in their history. You could debate that the last decade is the best 10 years the schools ever had.

LOL, so if you don't win your conference or don't win a BCS Bowl, the season is a disaster.

Not necessarily a disaster, but at least meaningless and mediocre. The entire body of work from 2010-2019, without any conference championships or BCS wins, is a disaster.

Definitely special. Iowa went to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 30 years. You are wrong and this is not even a debate. Not to mention that Iowa has won an ORANGE BOWL in the last decade. So an ORANGE BOWL win and a ROSE BOWL trip in this decade of disaster we're in the midst of has to be killing you. Go look thru the history books for Iowa and then look for how many season's ended with a 0 in the L column or how many BCS caliber bowl wins they have in their history. You could debate that the last decade is the best 10 years it's ever had.

Everyone knows that the 2009 (‘10) Orange Bowl marked the end of an era, not the beginning. I’m clearly using that as the starting point for the analysis. Plus, I hate the argument that just because the game took place a few days into January makes it “part” of this decade. It was the ‘09 season and is remembered as such.

Everyone knows that the 2009 (‘10) Orange Bowl marked the end of an era, not the beginning. I’m clearly using that as the starting point for the analysis. Plus, I hate the argument that just because the game took place a few days into January makes it “part” of this decade. It was the ‘09 season and is remembered as such.

it's 2019 homey, I don't know how much more I can help you with that math.

Well you certainly cheered me up.

8-5,
7-6
4-8
8-5
7-6
12-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
6-3 thus far

I know it hasn’t felt good but just didn’t realize how bad it was.

Your right without 2015 in there it is a train wreck.

Dean I enjoy some of your insight but sometimes I think you like to argue just to argue. The numbers don’t lie. I also know you have said yourself that you felt many times Kirk needs to go. Those numbers are the numbers of mediocrity. Good grief!!!
Those records aren't "train wrecks". The train is still on the track, just not going as fast as people want.

7-6
7-6
2-10
4-8
6-7
5-7
3-9
2-10
4-8
6-4

That more resembles a train wreck.

Those records aren't "train wrecks". The train is still on the track, just not going as fast as people want.

7-6
7-6
2-10
4-8
6-7
5-7
3-9
2-10
4-8
6-4

That more resembles a train wreck.

I agree. I was following the program before Hayden got here. Those days were a train wreck. That’s why there is so much appreciation for what Hayden did. Before he got here we were floating face down in moldy green swimming pool.

It is very frustrating and disappointing though. What adds to it is that there is total silence from the powers that be. They all seem happier than a pig rolling in shit.

Not necessarily a disaster, but at least meaningless and mediocre. The entire body of work from 2010-2019, without any conference championships or BCS wins, is a disaster.

hqdefault.jpg

Latest posts