Overall this decade has been a disaster for Iowa football

Yeah let’s analyze a decade, but remove all the data that hurts my argument.

In B1G conference games only starting with the 2010 season, our conference record against teams that finished their conference season at .500 or above is: 13 - 30. 2010 - 16 (Pre-Brian as OC) = 12 - 19. 2017 - 19 (with Brian as OC) = 1-11.
So, even before the currently failing Brian as OC experiment, we were 7 games below .500 vs conference teams that finished .500 or above. Add it the rest and we're a pathetic conference team. The best we could wind up (if we win our last 3 games is 16 - 30. that would be a 1.6 win / 3 loss avg vs B1G conf teams that finish .500 or above in conference.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/iowa/2018-schedule.html

We can't beat the good teams in our conference. Even in 2015, we only beat two conference teams that finished .500 or above and we lost the B1G game, which I did count. That is our last decade.

Explained this already. What did 2015 actually result in? Crushing losses in the Indy and Pasadena and 12 wins against mediocre teams. Fits in perfectly with the rest of Iowa’s seasons but the high win count (again, during an astronomically weak season) distorts the data.
The bowl game in 2015 was a key game in Iowa history....it was a bleak reminder of how non-competitive Iowa actually is against quality teams.

In B1G conference games only starting with the 2010 season, our conference record against teams that finished their conference season at .500 or above is: 13 - 30. 2010 - 16 (Pre-Brian as OC) = 12 - 19. 2017 - 19 (with Brian as OC) = 1-11.
So, even before the currently failing Brian as OC experiment, we were 7 games below .500 vs conference teams that finished .500 or above. Add it the rest and we're a pathetic conference team. The best we could wind up (if we win our last 3 games is 16 - 30. that would be a 1.6 win / 3 loss avg vs B1G conf teams that finish .500 or above in conference.

We can't beat the good teams in our conference. Even in 2015, we only beat two conference teams that finished .500 or above and we lost the B1G game, which I did count. That is our last decade.
Well, here is the proof, we beat two conference teams that finished over .500, nothing needs to change.

Everyone is now dumber for having read this thread.
bluto.jpg

You guys crack me up talking about our record only against certain teams. What do you think happens in college football? I mean who do you think teams beat? Yep they beat the bad and average teams. Then they struggle with the good teams. For instance take Hayden Fry's last decade. Fry was 12-30 vs conference teams with a .500 winning % or above.

Let me give you guys a hint. Just use the overall record, it paints the exact same picture as other teams. IE Ferentz won about the same amount of the time as Fry. Both teams racked up most of the wins vs conference teams with below .500 records. It only makes common ****ing sense, don't you get that? Do you guys actually think that teams are killing other teams with above .500 records but losing at in inordinate rate vs teams with sub .500 records?

I mean JFC you think you find these obscure stats by taking something and slicing it down and saying HAHAHA, Ferentz sucks because of this! Only thing is every ****ing team with Iowa's similar overall record is going to show about the same ****ing thing.

Last edited:
You guys crack me up talking about our record only against certain teams. What do you think happens in college football? I mean who do you think teams beat? Yep they beat the bad and average teams. Then they struggle with the good teams. For instance take Hayden Fry's last decade. Fry was 12-30 vs conference teams with a .500 winning % or above.

Let me give you guys a hint. Just use the overall record, it paints the exact same picture as other teams. IE Ferentz won about the same amount of the time as Fry. Both teams racked up most of the wins vs conference teams with below .500 records. It only makes common ****ing sense, don't you get that? Do you guys actually think that teams are killing other teams with above .500 records but losing at in inordinate rate vs teams with sub .500 records?

I mean JFC you think you find these obscure stats by taking something and slicing it down and saying HAHAHA, Ferentz sucks because of this! Only thing is every ****ing team with Iowa's similar overall record is going to show about the same ****ing thing.

what is amazing is the level to which you are able to drop to in order to not see the truth. the defense of kirk ferentz and his program at all costs...costs credibility. if you want to take the time like i did and statistically prove your claim, feel free. but the glaring caveat you make is "every team with iowa's overall record" and quite frankly, THAT is the exact problem. iowa's overall record is being an avg program that can't beat the teams within the B1G that are good teams (definition of good in this example is .500+ conference records) but can only beat the teams that are not good. for you not to see this would take a lot of effort.

Pretty sure deans point isn't to not look at the data, its too look at all the data rather than cherry pick the evidence that fits your argument. if you're gonna make a data driven argument, you can't remove all the pieces that don't fit your narrative. let the stats say what they say in their entirety. If your going to take out the outlier that doesn't fit your argument take out the argument that does best fit your argument seems to be deans point, and that makes sense. if you're going to take out the 12-2 season take out the 4-8 one. or how bout this, don't take out either and just make an actual argument.
out culture has evolved. we each can take out whatever actual data and history we want now and it's legit.

my opinion is now "My Truth"

we all have an inclination to do this.

what is amazing is the level to which you are able to drop to in order to not see the truth. the defense of kirk ferentz and his program at all costs...costs credibility. if you want to take the time like i did and statistically prove your claim, feel free. but the glaring caveat you make is "every team with iowa's overall record" and quite frankly, THAT is the exact problem. iowa's overall record is being an avg program that can't beat the teams within the B1G that are good teams (definition of good in this example is .500+ conference records) but can only beat the teams that are not good. for you not to see this would take a lot of effort.

What am I defending? I am saying that any program that averages 8 wins a year over 10 years is losing very often to teams that have a .500 winning % or greater. I mean who the heck do you think 8 win teams are losing to? Do you they there are going 4-1 vs teams with above .500 records and 4-4 vs teams with below .500 records? JFC use your head. I posted Frys numbers and wow, who would have thunk it, they are similar to Kirk’s. 12-30 vs conference teams .500 or better over his last decade.

So my point is No shit to your numbers. I understood this by looking at Kirks overall 8 Wins per year numbers. Guess what if a team averages 9 wins per year over a decade they probably went 21-21 vs conference teams that were .500 or better. If a team averages 10 wins per year over a decade they probably went 31-11 vs conference teams that were .500 or better.

The bowl game in 2015 was a key game in Iowa history....it was a bleak reminder of how non-competitive Iowa actually is against quality teams.

so Michigan State wasn’t a quality team??

Lmao!! A bleak reminder. Some of you are honestly just stupid!!! Yeah let’s judge a team that laid it all on the line against a quality Michigan State Team in the Big Ten Championship game for a shot at the BCS playoffs.

You must watch Iowa Football under KF with your eyes closed

Lmao!! A bleak reminder. Some of you are honestly just stupid!!! Yeah let’s judge a team that laid it all on the line against a quality Michigan State Team in the Big Ten Championship game for a shot at the BCS playoffs.
The top teams in the country have speed, audacity, confidence...they run circles around Iowa most often. Iowa appears slow, confused, unprepared. So, it has appeared to me, I could be wrong.

And, Iowa has played 3 quality teams so far this year...Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin...

And, Iowa has played 3 quality teams so far this year...Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin...

I put Iowa St in there too as a quality team. Lost 4 games against ranked opponents by a total of 12 points.

So 1-3 vs quality teams this season. And for a lot of Iowa fans, that's perfectly fine.

I put Iowa St in there too as a quality team. Lost 4 games against ranked opponents by a total of 12 points.

So 1-3 vs quality teams this season. And for a lot of Iowa fans, that's perfectly fine.

Like to know who a lot of those fans are because I don’t know any that like losing.

Like to know who a lot of those fans are because I don’t know any that like losing.

I didn't say any Iowa fans like losing. I said many Iowa fans are perfectly fine with 1-3 vs quality teams.

I think its pretty clear that this fan base is deathly afraid of the football program going through what the basketball program went through where they really were a disaster (pun intended) for nearly a decade because they got rid of a solid coach. So they are perfectly fine with 7/8 win seasons. Especially if Iowa wins that bowl game because you get to the off-season with a good taste in your mouth.

I think what most Iowa fans don't factor in is that the Iowa basketball program was headed for a cliff in the late 1990s regardless of who the coach was. The facilities were light years behind their peers and recruiting suffered. Add in a horrible hire and you get what we got.

and you said Iowa is not competitive against quality teams !! It’s like saying the last decade of Iowa Football is a disaster :cool:
Iowa football under Kirk is seldom a "disaster" it is more like a recurring episode of disappointment and opportunities lost. Like this year.

But I guess the series of drubbings and blunders vs Wisconsin, the main rivalry and hurdle to win the West, could be considered a disaster, if championships describe a person's expectations. Everyone's are different. Kirk-spin is to "redefine" success prior to, during, and after a season is over. And then to declare to a numb fan base that Iowa is on the same level as Wisconsin.

It is a good win at a tough location.

Latest posts