Overall this decade has been a disaster for Iowa football

You guys are crazy. You know that’s not the argument and that’s a complete mischaracterization of what’s been said in this thread. No one’s saying national championship or bust or even B10 championship or bust every year. It’s a disaster that Iowa, in a WEAK division and NFL TALENT on its roster year in and year out, and SENIOR QBs, hasn’t taken advantage to at least appear in more championship games. I’m not saying that Iowa should be there every year. But you really think it’s unreasonable to expect more than ONE appearance in Indy per decade? It should at least be 3 appearances every 10 years. It’s been a disaster that Iowa’s had this window of opportunity in the B1G West and flushed it down the tubes.

It's not unreasonable at all to expect more then that. You are correct. Iowa has failed to capitalize to win more. They should have. No one is going to disagree with you on that notion. No one is going to say "nah man, this is all we should expect" .... that's ridiculous. We all want more. We all think Iowa should be better. It's bullshit.

What we don't agree with is calling the last decade a disaster, it's not. It's right in line and on par with where the program has been and treading water at for 40 years.

Yeah, let's fire the guy who has been Big Ten Coach of the year four times. FOUR. He will be in the Hall of Fame but let's fire him. Come on, folks.

This is a dumb thread. Ferentz simply needs to get out of the play calling and let his coaching staff do all
of the play calling Easy fix. Yes, I'm frustrated, but there is an easy fix.

Yeah, let's fire the guy who has been Big Ten Coach of the year four times. FOUR. He will be in the Hall of Fame but let's fire him. Come on, folks.

This is a dumb thread. Ferentz simply needs to get out of the play calling and let his coaching staff do all
of the play calling Easy fix. Yes, I'm frustrated, but there is an easy fix.

We've been a player or 2 short of championship level teams give or take like 90% of the time the last decade. Seriously. If we had Fant or Hock this season, that offense is humming. If we had even 1 decent guard this season would be different.

It sucks, I want more too - we need tangible results, but for crying out loud, the inability to look at things objectively went out the window when the keyboard was invented.

there is so much dumb in this thread.

Kirk's overall winning percentage is a little over 60%. His last 10 years he is 77-49 (62%). His last 10 years have been BETTER than his first 10 years.

Hayden's last 10 years were 66-49-2 (57%), less than Kirk's last 10 at 62%. No one wanted Fry fired. No one should want Ferentz gone.

there is so much dumb in this thread.

Kirk's overall winning percentage is a little over 60%. His last 10 years he is 77-49 (62%). His last 10 years have been BETTER than his first 10 years.

Hayden's last 10 years were 66-49-2 (57%), less than Kirk's last 10 at 62%. No one wanted Fry fired. No one should want Ferentz gone.

Placing way too much value on overall winning percentage. As has been stated, winning percentage is misleading because of the buy games against weak teams. No one can seriously dispute that while each game counts as “1” win or loss, they have different weight. Beating Wisconsin with the B10 West on the line is far more valuable than beating Middle Tennessee, but is reflected the same in wpct. Do you really think that it’s better to be a .600 baseball team and lose in the first round of the playoffs than be slightly above .500 and win the whole thing? Teams, legacies, and overall success isn’t defined by regular season record.

We've been a player or 2 short of championship level teams give or take like 90% of the time the last decade. Seriously. If we had Fant or Hock this season, that offense is humming. If we had even 1 decent guard this season would be different.

It sucks, I want more too - we need tangible results, but for crying out loud, the inability to look at things objectively went out the window when the keyboard was invented.

Do you really think so? IMO the big issue is that it doesn't matter how much talent and/or experience Iowa has on offense. They still struggle because they're too concerned about establishing what they want to do rather than attack weaknesses or game planning around their advantages.

Not special because the regular season is insignificant compared to postseason/conference success. 12-0 is important because it gives you the opportunity to play for a conference championship and for a berth in the playoffs. No one cares about regular season success if it doesn’t result in a championship at the end of the day.
My standard for success is reasonable. Any of the following would qualify the entire decade as “not a disaster” in my perspective:

1) A SINGLE B10 championship
2) 2-3 appearances in the championship game in Indy
3) A SINGLE “BCS” equivalent bowl victory
4) An overall better bowl record (Cap One, Holiday, etc)
5) Playoff berth (even resulting in a loss)

Which one of those is unreasonable for an entire decade? Never said my benchmark is a national title.

I guess where we disagree then would be that I, myself, see there being multiple layers between what is successful and what is a "disaster".

Do you really think so? IMO the big issue is that it doesn't matter how much talent and/or experience Iowa has on offense. They still struggle because they're too concerned about establishing what they want to do rather than attack weaknesses or game planning around their advantages.

Yeah having 2 NFL 1st round caliber Tight Ends on this team is gonna make a difference. Anyone else see the drop off in production this year in that TE spot? Anyone else notice our red zone touchdown efficiency? Anyone notice how Stanley threw 52 TD's in 2 years but has thrown 12 this season? It would make a WORLD of difference, but probably not as much as just having 1 and I mean just 1 even decent guard.

My standard for success is reasonable. Any of the following would qualify the entire decade as “not a disaster” in my perspective:

1) A SINGLE B10 championship
2) 2-3 appearances in the championship game in Indy
3) A SINGLE “BCS” equivalent bowl victory
4) An overall better bowl record (Cap One, Holiday, etc)
5) Playoff berth (even resulting in a loss)

Which one of those is unreasonable for an entire decade? Never said my benchmark is a national title.

A B1G championship used to be much, much easier. In 1981 and 1991 imagine if we would have to play an additional game. Those seasons could have all become "disasters" according to your definition if we played a championship game.

2015 was better than the two 6-2 "championship" seasons in both the amount of B1G wins and over a better quality opponent.

In 1981 Iowa was 6-2 and tied for the B1G. Our 6 B1G wins came against an 0-11 NW, 3-8 Indiana, 5-6 Purdue, 5-6 MSU, 7-5 Wisconsin, and 7-4 Michigan. So our 6 wins came against teams that were a combined 27-40 (40% winning %)

In 1991 Iowa was 6-2 and tied for the B1G. Our 6 B1G wins came against: 1-10 Wisconsin, 2-9 Purdue, 2-9 NW, 8-4 Illinois, 9-3 Michigan, 8-3-1 MSU. So our 6 wins came against teams that were a combined 30-38-1 (43% winning %)

In 2015 our 8 wins came over 3-9 Maryland, 2-10 Purdue, 5-7 Illinois, 6-7 Minnesota, 6-7 Nebraska, 6-7 Indiana, 10-3 Wisconsin, 10-3 Northwestern. So our 8 wins came against teams that were a combined 48-53 (47.5% winning %)

For those who say 2015 "shouldn't" count, what really "shouldn't count" as outstanding years are 1981 and 1991. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that because I'm not dumb as shit and say that 2015 shouldn't count. Yet if you are going to argue that 2015 shouldn't count, then the same holds true for 1981 and 1991.

A B1G championship used to be much, much easier. In 1981 and 1991 imagine if we would have to play an additional game. Those seasons could have all become "disasters" according to your definition if we played a championship game.

2015 was better than the two 6-2 "championship" seasons in both the amount of B1G wins and over a better quality opponent.

In 1981 Iowa was 6-2 and tied for the B1G. Our 6 B1G wins came against an 0-11 NW, 3-8 Indiana, 5-6 Purdue, 5-6 MSU, 7-5 Wisconsin, and 7-4 Michigan. So our 6 wins came against teams that were a combined 27-40 (40% winning %)

In 1991 Iowa was 6-2 and tied for the B1G. Our 6 B1G wins came against: 1-10 Wisconsin, 2-9 Purdue, 2-9 NW, 8-4 Illinois, 9-3 Michigan, 8-3-1 MSU. So our 6 wins came against teams that were a combined 30-38-1 (43% winning %)

In 2015 our 8 wins came over 3-9 Maryland, 2-10 Purdue, 5-7 Illinois, 6-7 Minnesota, 6-7 Nebraska, 6-7 Indiana, 10-3 Wisconsin, 10-3 Northwestern. So our 8 wins came against teams that were a combined 48-53 (47.5% winning %)

For those who say 2015 "shouldn't" count, what really "shouldn't count" as outstanding years are 1981 and 1991. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that because I'm not dumb as shit and say that 2015 shouldn't count. Yet if you are going to argue that 2015 shouldn't count, then the same holds true for 1981 and 1991.

I’m not evaluating the 80s. Never commented on this decade of Iowa football in the context of Iowa football history. 2000-2010 is relevant because the success of that decade should have been continued through this decade (same coaching staff etc). Old seasons from the 1900s have zero to do with this decade or the evaluation of this decade as a disaster.

I don’t think it’s so much a talent problem (except maybe the OL) as it is a playcalling and scheme problem. The Ferentzes stay in one lane persistently whether it’s working or not, and although that’s a good quality to have to a certain degree, they take it to the extreme.

If their game plan is short out routes and A gap runs, by god that’s what we’re going to keep pounding regardless of whether it works or not. Then when there’s 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter we make adjustments and get the game back to within a score. Unfortunately most of the time we need 12 minutes.

That style of play works with a Rutgers or Northwestern because eventually you’re going to expose a hole and you never get pushed back onto your heels. They “bend” and eventually break. Teams like PSU/Michigan/Wisconsin are deep enough and intelligently coached enough to deal with it. The Ferentzes actually make life easier on tougher teams by continuing to kick their dead horses and expecting different results.

Minnesota went after Penn State’s throat immediately and never let them get comfortable. When we play good teams we’re doing nothing but treading water and hoping for lucky turnovers.

I’m not evaluating the 80s. Never commented on this decade of Iowa football in the context of Iowa football history. 2000-2010 is relevant because the success of that decade should have been continued through this decade (same coaching staff etc). Old seasons from the 1900s have zero to do with this decade or the evaluation of this decade as a disaster.

2010-2019 is just like every other decade of Iowa football, the only way you can spin it different is by saying 2015 didn't count.

I don’t think it’s so much a talent problem (except maybe the OL) as it is a playcalling and scheme problem. The Ferentzes stay in one lane persistently whether it’s working or not, and although that’s a good quality to have to a certain degree, they take it to the extreme.

If their game plan is short out routes and A gap runs, by god that’s what we’re going to keep pounding regardless of whether it works or not. Then when there’s 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter we make adjustments and get the game back to within a score. Unfortunately most of the time we need 12 minutes.

That style of play works with a Rutgers or Northwestern because eventually you’re going to expose a hole and you never get pushed back onto your heels. They “bend” and eventually break. Teams like PSU/Michigan/Wisconsin are deep enough and intelligently coached enough to deal with it. The Ferentzes actually make life easier on tougher teams by continuing to kick their dead horses and expecting different results.

Minnesota went after Penn State’s throat immediately and never let them get comfortable. When we play good teams we’re doing nothing but treading water and hoping for lucky turnovers.

KF's zone scheme's are expired but unfortunately so is he. Changing that kind of thing this late into his tenure is just not likely even tho I would like to see it. I just think the ole capt only has a few more seasons left in him and he doesn't want to spend those ushering in whole sale changes. My biggest complaint with KF has always been doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. I just think it's too far in for him to change. I mean, I think he's changed a lot over the years and tried to adapt, but ultimately not enough and not wholesale enough... like the zone blocking scheme.

kind of hard to call this decade a disaster with no control or anything to compare it to, it's why your stance has so many holes in it & there isn't a SINGLE poster on this site coming to your defense or helping you argue your point. That's frankly unbelievable in itself considering how unliked KF is on this site. We can't compare Iowa's past decade with previous decades? How do we know how they stack up? What else do we compare them to? We all KNOW that this decade doesn't stack up to WI. We all think and know that too. We all think it isn't good enough either. We all just know the truth too....that this is where we've been give or take some highs and lows for 40 years. We don't need to subtract any thing to see that.

At a recent coaching seminar I heard an instructor say some thing along the lines of "we can be in our 1st, 5th or 20th season, but if we're not continually growing, learning, evaluating ourselves and pushing ourselves to get our of our comfort zone then we may be the same coaches that we were in year 2 that we are at year 20. I don't mean this as a shot at KF, but IMO it speaks volumes as to why we can't seem to get to the next level. He's a good/great coach but he's the same good/great coach we had years ago. Nothing's changed.

business-commerce-data-data_chart-business_intelligence-data_analytics-trends-jcen1196_low.jpg

Yeah having 2 NFL 1st round caliber Tight Ends on this team is gonna make a difference. Anyone else see the drop off in production this year in that TE spot? Anyone else notice our red zone touchdown efficiency? Anyone notice how Stanley threw 52 TD's in 2 years but has thrown 12 this season? It would make a WORLD of difference, but probably not as much as just having 1 and I mean just 1 even decent guard.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the RZ struggles mostly come down to the fact that Iowa can't run the ball. They're not good at it and combined with the fact that other teams know its coming because Kirk can't get away from it = can't run with much success.

Iowa had both of those guys last year and against the 4 top opponents they played: ISU, Wisconsin, PSU, and NW the offense struggled to do much of anything. When they did get something going they shot themselves in the foot. They even struggled against Maryland.

The big difference is Iowa isn't lighting the bottom feeders this season like they did last year against Minnesota, Illinois, & Indiana.

Let’s remove the 2015 season for a minute. Without 2015, the combined record since 2010 is 65-45. Given the fact that Iowa schedules 2-3 games against cupcakes per year (over 9 years so far), Iowa has essentially been a .500 team since 2010.

While the 2015 season was, I guess, a success, it was clearly an anomaly that was the result of an easy schedule. The two games that mattered (B10 Championship game and Rose Bowl) were both crushing losses (for different reasons). So really the only thing that Iowa “comes away with” from 2015 is being able to say that they had an undefeated regular season.

Why remove 2015? Because it’s just a flashpoint that came at the perfect time to make this decade of Iowa football feel like it wasn’t a total disaster. Even though Iowa didn’t win anything meaningful during 2015, the season is still in recent memory and gives KF supporters something to point toward. The Rose Bowl berth and undefeated season appeased the fan base far more than it should have by coming at the halfway point of the decade. Just think about it—how long and brutal would this decade have felt to you had 2015 never happened?

The random upsets against top 5 teams at home are similar flashpoint: nice and fun, but totally meaningless in the scheme of what Iowa should realistically accomplish (competing for and occasionally winning the B10 West). The upsets, just like 2015, give the illusion that Iowa’s been a better program than it has been in reality.

Since 2010, Iowa’s won an Insight Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Outback Bowl. Three mediocre bowls. Yawn. Since 2010, there have been zero B10 championships (one appearance), while teams like NW and now presumably Minnesota are going to Indy. A huge indicator of how terrible this decade has been as a whole is how many Hawks are making an impact in the NFL. I hear so many Hawks’ names called on NFL Sundays but KF and crew hasn’t been able to use that talent to appear in more than 1 game in Indy. Iowa has had senior quarterbacks on three separate occasions and each season has been a mediocre disaster.

So, yeah, evaluating the decade as a whole (assuming Iowa finishes 3rd/4th and plays in another Mediocre Bowl), it’s been a complete failure. KF was a hero to me during my childhood but it’s clear that the program needs to move in a new direction starting at the top to keep page with what’s happening in Ames, and, more importantly in Minneapolis and Wisconsin (throw NW in there maybe).

LMAO!!! "Let's remove the 2015 season for a minute" Is the Minute up :cool:

Seriously though how has the last decade been a disaster?? I will hang up and listen.. Our definitions of what disaster is, I guess are very different.

Last edited:
LMAO!!! "Let's remove the 2015 season for a minute" Is the Minute up :cool:

Seriously though how has the last decade been a disaster?? I will hang up and listen.. Our definitions of what disaster is, I guess are very different.

Signature accomplishment = a single B10 West title in an overall weak division.

Disaster.

Latest posts