Outback Bowl play calling

I see KF stated they weren't getting the job done run blocking. I sure didn't see many holes anyone missed watching on tv. I remember early on a guy getting through quick and then I noticed he had blown by Banwart, which surprised me he was in the game early.

There was enough of Kirk’s favorite football word that occurred on Tuesday to bring home a win - execution.

Would've been a kick in the nads for sure, BUT that play wasn't entirely luck. The underneath DB (think it was Stone or Hankins) got just enough of a finger on the ball to alter it's flight and spin. You could see it was odd looking when it hit his hands and it hand to have messed up his concentration as well.

I'm just glad we're talking what ifs and not what was.

Several people said the ball's flight was altered slightly. In other words, the tip we didn't get on the last play against Penn State in 2017 HAPPENED in the Outback Bowl.

I think this game illustrated how important a running back like Wadley could have been in this year's offense. His speed on short passes to the flat would have negated some of the things MSU was doing to us.

Thankfully, we may have that running back in the fold now (Goodson is his name, I believe?)

I see KF stated they weren't getting the job done run blocking. I sure didn't see many holes anyone missed watching on tv. I remember early on a guy getting through quick and then I noticed he had blown by Banwart, which surprised me he was in the game early.

I agree.
Our ol was not getting it done. Not even close.
Yes the competition was extremely good. Their front 7 was legit. Legit enough to show our team that in that bowl game, our ol was without a doubt our weakest link.

The 75 yd pass to Easley was a 1st down play action pass...

This play here shows why and the importance of teams still attempting to run the ball, EVEN THOUGH NOT HAVING SUCCESS THAT GAME. Even though Iowa wasn't getting shit down on the ground, they still had to hand it off so they could set up the play action.

I knew a guy that kept posting on facebook for Iowa to stop running and just pass the ball. Well, this shows why it is still important to run the ball even with lack of success doing it.

My only complaints were at the end of the first half and the end of the game. At the end of the half we were up 17-6 with only about a 1:20ish left on the clock and we decided to chuck it, so we went 3 and out and gave them the ball back. Granted everything worked out but we got saved by a holding call or it could have been 17-13 at the half.

End of the game they had 2 timeouts left with (IIRC) a little over 3 minutes to play. I know the running game was nothing but at least make them burn those 2 timeouts and then go for the first down with a pass. I like the strategy of playing for a first down but you've got to move the clock. But in the end the defense came through but it was a little tense when they got the ball back with well over 2 minutes left and a timeout.

This play here shows why and the importance of teams still attempting to run the ball, EVEN THOUGH NOT HAVING SUCCESS THAT GAME. Even though Iowa wasn't getting shit down on the ground, they still had to hand it off so they could set up the play action.

I knew a guy that kept posting on facebook for Iowa to stop running and just pass the ball. Well, this shows why it is still important to run the ball even with lack of success doing it.
Agreed.
Only thing I would add is, it even further shows the tenacity of this team to win that game.
It's tough to win when everyone knows that the odds of you getting 3rd and 3 or 4th and 1 on the ground are nearly zero. That's tough sledding.
Tough on play calling. Tough on the team because it makes every other play in every phase of the game that much more important.

That play was entirely set up by the abysmal 1st quarter as well. A constraint play that breaks our tendencies and MSU bit hard.

While the run game never got going, they did adjust, as there were only 6 called runs in the second half, along with 2 sacks and Nate's scramble.
The other part of that play call is that we ran it with our possession WR. Which was unexpected. That's not a route we ask Easly to run. That was a great call. Beyond that call, the game plan was poor.

My only complaints were at the end of the first half and the end of the game. At the end of the half we were up 17-6 with only about a 1:20ish left on the clock and we decided to chuck it, so we went 3 and out and gave them the ball back. Granted everything worked out but we got saved by a holding call or it could have been 17-13 at the half.

End of the game they had 2 timeouts left with (IIRC) a little over 3 minutes to play. I know the running game was nothing but at least make them burn those 2 timeouts and then go for the first down with a pass. I like the strategy of playing for a first down but you've got to move the clock. But in the end the defense came through but it was a little tense when they got the ball back with well over 2 minutes left and a timeout.

During the half time interview with KF, he said the play calling late in the first half was awful. He looked even more disgusted than "awful."

I agree.
Our ol was not getting it done. Not even close.
Yes the competition was extremely good. Their front 7 was legit. Legit enough to show our team that in that bowl game, our ol was without a doubt our weakest link.

I agree that our O line never matured in run blocking; but, I would also note that pass blocking was outstanding this season.

The other part of that play call is that we ran it with our possession WR. Which was unexpected. That's not a route we ask Easly to run. That was a great call. Beyond that call, the game plan was poor.

I don't know that we ever really saw the original game plan; if we did, it was short lived. I would say that the adjustment to the "plan" was when we only showed run on rare occasions and the passing game took over. I guess I will applaud the adjustments.

I don't know that we ever really saw the original game plan; if we did, it was short lived. I would say that the adjustment to the "plan" was when we only showed run on rare occasions and the passing game took over. I guess I will applaud the adjustments.
The defense carried the water, like it often does. The offense and the offensive game plan was about as predictable as it always is. I thought Nate Stanley played great. Extremely proud of how he played. I thought he and Easly were the lone bright spots on offense.

The hawks are still noted as a running team, trying to get 150-200 yards on the ground. MSU looked like they did not want to let that happen, their Lbkrs were close to the los most of the game. Running the ball convincingly is still the easiest and most efficient way to move the ball an demoralizing to the opponent if you can crank out 5-6 yard avg per run. Wisky did it to us this year with that jumbo Oline package and it hurt.

So yes you still have to try to run. I hope the hawks really work on the draw and screen part of their game for next year as an added element for opponents to have to prepare and watch for.

The hawks are still noted as a running team, trying to get 150-200 yards on the ground. MSU looked like they did not want to let that happen, their Lbkrs were close to the los most of the game. Running the ball convincingly is still the easiest and most efficient way to move the ball an demoralizing to the opponent if you can crank out 5-6 yard avg per run. Wisky did it to us this year with that jumbo Oline package and it hurt.

So yes you still have to try to run. I hope the hawks really work on the draw and screen part of their game for next year as an added element for opponents to have to prepare and watch for.

Tuesday I was yelling at the TV for a draw play.

During the half time interview with KF, he said the play calling late in the first half was awful. He looked even more disgusted than "awful."

Yeah I didn't think the play calling at either end was KF's. It appears he's trusting Brian to do that.

There are times where I've wished Iowa was more aggressive in those situations but against that Miss St defense I was happy to go into the half with a 17-6 lead.

My impression was this was because Iowa didn't kill enough clock and MSU got the ball back and almost scored just before the half. This was the catch that would have taken MSU down to within a few yards out of the endzone. The play that got called back for holding.

But that entire last series when MSU had the ball at the end of the half was completely domination by our dline. MSU was holding every play blatantly. Someone was breaking free to the QB on each play. Sure, holding happens all the time. But the holds were all sack saving.

So Kirk was pissed about the time management aspect of the play calling. Leaving enough time, because we didn't run it except maybe once before needing to punt.

My impression was this was because Iowa didn't kill enough clock and MSU got the ball back and almost scored just before the half. This was the catch that would have taken MSU down to within a few yards out of the endzone. The play that got called back for holding.

But that entire last series when MSU had the ball at the end of the half was completely domination by our dline. MSU was holding every play blatantly. Someone was breaking free to the QB on each play. Sure, holding happens all the time. But the holds were all sack saving.

So Kirk was pissed about the time management aspect of the play calling. Leaving enough time, because we didn't run it except maybe once before needing to punt.

That was my point that I made earlier. There was only 1:14 left and it looked like MSU was satisfied going to the locker room, I think they only had 1 TO left. Instead we throw 3 incomplete passes and give them the ball back at mid field where they had almost a minute to get into scoring position. Thank gawd the refs threw a flag for holding or they may have gotten another touchdown.

That was my point that I made earlier. There was only 1:14 left and it looked like MSU was satisfied going to the locker room, I think they only had 1 TO left. Instead we throw 3 incomplete passes and give them the ball back at mid field where they had almost a minute to get into scoring position. Thank gawd the refs threw a flag for holding or they may have gotten another touchdown.

I think our OC got his ass chewed at halftime by the old man.

I thought Brian did his best adjustments of the season midgame as our run attack sputtered. I think Iowa wanted to run the ball but their D line was terrific. MSU gameplanned to take Hock out of the game which led to our success throwing to the receivers. The blocking by our wide outs opened up two of our touchdowns. Give credit to where credit is due, NOBODY has done that to MSU all year. The offense seemed a blend of Fry's "itch where it scratches", and Davis's swing passes to the outside. It kept drives alive. Maybe he got a little too aggressive before halftime, but I'm sure Kirk will deal with that. Don't think MSU had any respect for Iowa going into the game. Brian used that against them. Kirk and Brian are starting to look like the joke on the movie "The Cowboys" that John Wayne tells about the two bulls, where the younger bull says "let's run down and breed us a cow", and the old bull says "no let's walk down and breed them all". With Kirk becoming more and more emotional it feels like he might be walking away sooner than I thought, if Brian is his heir apparent, his learning curve will continue to accelerate. Just a gut feeling but I think Kirk walks away after next season.

I don't know about "next year", but you are probably right about sooner than anyone has thought. He has been visibly much more emotional this season and that is so not Ferentzian. But I like it! So with any luck it is just Ferentz 3.0 and it will be onward and upward from here.