OT: TV Streaming (Hulu)

Also, so do you just plug the router cable into to the the cable wall jack where I currently have my cable plug? If so, then you just plug the ethernet cable from the router to your smart tv?

IF this makes any sense

For those of you you stream Hulu on your smart tv's, I have a few questions. I see the $5.99 & $11.99 plans are the same thing except the $11.99 has no commercials. What exactly do you get with those plans being that they are the same exact plan, is it just a library of old movies and past tv shows like Cheers & MASH? Do you get any networks like NBC, ESPN, TBS, FOX News, TNT, BIG 10 Network, CNN ect? I'd like to have current shows and tv sitcoms like Young Sheldon and Last Man Standing along with live sporting events if I turn on Hulu.

The Hulu web site only shows you what you get if you buy their largest plan at like $55 something dollars. I'm not buying the $11.99 plan unless I know what comes with it.

At least the Sling TV web site has their three plans and it shows you every channel you will get. with each plan and cost. But, for some reason I get the feeling Hulu is only a library of old tv shows and movies, no real networks that you would get with a cable provider.

Thanks for any info on this
I had Hulu and couldnt stand it after using PS Vue. Even the stuff you DVR has commercials that you can't skip. I'd rather go back to Mediacom than deal with that shit. I thought the stuff on Hulu was crap - sure it has some TV shows on there but most of the ones I was interested in only had incomplete lists, like only had seasons 4, 5 and 6 but not 1, 2 and 3. As soon as I learned that I could get youtube.tv on my Amazon Fire hardware I switched as soon as my subscription was up - I haven't been happier.

My first interaction with Hulu was signing up for a 7 day trial to check it out. I cancelled my subscription the next day so I wouldn't get automatically charged which also CANCELLED MY TRIAL. I mean who does that shit.

Anyway, not really adding anything to the convo, just wanted to vent a bit and give youtube.tv my endorsement :)

My internet and cable combined is $135 a month. Once I get rid of cable, I will be saving about $35 - $40 a month (most of the channels I get with my cable provider, I don't even watch) I may go Youtube, sounds the same as the Sling plan I am looking at, but Youtube has the Big 10 Network. Only thing about the Big 10 Network is that I only watch it from September - March for football/basketball. You get a lot of Iowa hoops games with them and would be hard not to have next year.
As with anyone cutting the cord, just make sure you check to see if you have data caps on your internet plan as streaming can use up a lot of it. The first month I cut, my internet bill went up by $80 because I went so far over my cap. I upgraded to Mediacom's 200 Mbps plan for $10 a month and haven't touched it yet.

Also, so do you just plug the router cable into to the the cable wall jack where I currently have my cable plug? If so, then you just plug the ethernet cable from the router to your smart tv?

IF this makes any sense
If you have a modem, router combo you'd do that. Otherwise you have the wall coax going to the modem, then an ethernet to your router, then ethernets from router to your TV's. I use wireless for all of mine. I rotate between 5 different TVs though and it would not be good to have that many ethernet cords all over the place. Wired would be more consistent but I haven't had an issue with wireless at all.

R8000_Cable%20Your%20Router.PNG

YoutubeTV switching is easy. You just take your remote and push the down button, that pulls up the last like 8 channels that you watched. You can then select the one you want and hit enter. So it isn't as convenient as just pushing a last channel button (requires a couple button pushes), but it is nice that you can flip between 3 games easier.
Yeah that's probably my favorite thing, not having a last channel button is unfortunate but you can switch between 3+ games easier than you could ever do on Cable/Dish.

I feel like you're the history person here, always posting stories about things 20-40 years ago that most people had never heard of. Gold is more like the Lifetime channel with a sprinkle of Dr Phil
Gold is also well versed on world history and military history.

As for the stuff I post from 20-40 years ago, you remember more of it than you care to admit.:). And if I have it wrong Bob 62 will quickly add to the story or correct my story.

Now about that Lafester Rhodes game.....:D

I have tried both Hulu and YouTubetv. I like the format of YouTube better but when playing live games I get a jitter. It's like it skips a frame every 30 seconds. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

I have tried both Hulu and YouTubetv. I like the format of YouTube better but when playing live games I get a jitter. It's like it skips a frame every 30 seconds. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

That is probably your internet speed. I had a buddy over to watch the Super Bowl and I have 100MB speed and I never get any lagging or jitter, or problems at all. He was saying his skips and lags and jitters, but he had like 7 MB speed or something slow like that. What speed internet do you have?

Is there a max amount of tvs you can have going at once?

You can have up to 6 different accounts, but you can only have 3 streams going at the same time. The 6 accounts are nice cause each person can set up their own DVR shows to record, each account can put in their favorites. The other nice thing with YTTV is that is learns what you like and the home screen will just pull up what you would most likely watch (each account will each have a different home screen depending on what they watch). Heck I rarely even look through the guide, as what I want to watch is right there when I turn on the TV.

That is probably your internet speed. I had a buddy over to watch the Super Bowl and I have 100MB speed and I never get any lagging or jitter, or problems at all. He was saying his skips and lags and jitters, but he had like 7 MB speed or something slow like that. What speed internet do you have?
I was thinking internet speed as well, but for me usually it either stops completely to buffer or it gets knocked down in resolution for a second or two (these happen to me very rarely). It could also be related to memory/processing in your device. What do you use to stream? Smart TV? Firestick? You say it only happens during live games, but nothing else? If you rewind so you're about 10 sec behind live does it still happen?

I was thinking internet speed as well, but for me usually it either stops completely to buffer or it gets knocked down in resolution for a second or two (these happen to me very rarely). It could also be related to memory/processing in your device. What do you use to stream? Smart TV? Firestick? You say it only happens during live games, but nothing else? If you rewind so you're about 10 sec behind live does it still happen?

I have 40mbps. I was thinking that may be my problem but I was at my daughter's last evening and she has 10mbps I had no problems. I also have no problem with Hulu. Almost never have buffering with either service.

I have 40mbps. I was thinking that may be my problem but I was at my daughter's last evening and she has 10mbps I had no problems. I also have no problem with Hulu. Almost never have buffering with either service.

Yeah 40 mbps you shouldn't have issues. What do you stream with, and is it wired or wireless? All mine are hardwired and I use the Apple TV 4K cause they have the best hardware and everything works smoothly. If you use a fire stick or less expensive unit that can affect performance.

If you have a modem, router combo you'd do that. Otherwise you have the wall coax going to the modem, then an ethernet to your router, then ethernets from router to your TV's. I use wireless for all of mine. I rotate between 5 different TVs though and it would not be good to have that many ethernet cords all over the place. Wired would be more consistent but I haven't had an issue with wireless at all.

R8000_Cable%20Your%20Router.PNG
Since we're talking about this. I use Google Wifi with an Arris modem (SB8200). Every once in awhile the wifi will go out (internet not available). After I unplug both the modem & router for about 5 minutes, it's all good. Anyone know how to stop this? I have Comcast/Infinity.

You can have up to 6 different accounts, but you can only have 3 streams going at the same time. The 6 accounts are nice cause each person can set up their own DVR shows to record, each account can put in their favorites. The other nice thing with YTTV is that is learns what you like and the home screen will just pull up what you would most likely watch (each account will each have a different home screen depending on what they watch). Heck I rarely even look through the guide, as what I want to watch is right there when I turn on the TV.

Well that's a problem for me to only have 3 at the same time. Stupid kids ruin everything.

I do not. You will want a fairly new router and check your internet download speed. May have to up that.

Yeah 40 mbps you shouldn't have issues. What do you stream with, and is it wired or wireless? All mine are hardwired and I use the Apple TV 4K cause they have the best hardware and everything works smoothly. If you use a fire stick or less expensive unit that can affect performance.