OT: TV Streaming (Hulu)

I have Hulu for regular TV and it is fine. There has not been a thing on that I wanted to see that I couldn't. As mentioned earlier though I HATE The fact you can't skip commercials on recorded programs,(especially Iowa Football or sports in general) I am a regular YouTube junkie so I rarely watch TV anyway besides sports so it is mostly for my wife.

one major plus for cable over streaming tv is one remote control. I was at my relatives for the holidays, they have Sling TV, they also have three remote controls to run everything. I had to have them run it for me when I wanted to watch something.

one major plus for cable over streaming tv is one remote control. I was at my relatives for the holidays, they have Sling TV, they also have three remote controls to run everything. I had to have them run it for me when I wanted to watch something.

I have one remote to run everything, or I can use my phone to run everything. If I didn't have the all house setup that I did, I would probably use this remote. https://caavo.com/products/control-center

$60, gets you the unit, and you don't have to do their monthly service if you don't want to use the voice control.

Just went to You Tube live after Vue folded. No complaints so far.
Do you mind if I ask what you pay per month for internet and Youtube Live? I'm looking for the best option and what will save me $$$ each month. Also, who is your internet provider? You live in IC right? If so, I am guessing you have either Mediacom or South Slope?

I use the roku sticks and one remote controls my tv, sound bar and streaming service. Works out well. I use YouTube tv and philo.

As with anyone cutting the cord, just make sure you check to see if you have data caps on your internet plan as streaming can use up a lot of it. The first month I cut, my internet bill went up by $80 because I went so far over my cap. I upgraded to Mediacom's 200 Mbps plan for $10 a month and haven't touched it yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only pay $10 per month for internet with Medicom?!? That seems impossible, especially with them and that price.

So if I do the 200 Mpbs internet plan with them for ten bucks, I can stream my smart tv and use my laptop at the same time and not have any issues, no delays or anything?

Since we're talking about this. I use Google Wifi with an Arris modem (SB8200). Every once in awhile the wifi will go out (internet not available). After I unplug both the modem & router for about 5 minutes, it's all good. Anyone know how to stop this? I have Comcast/Infinity.
What brand is your router? The wifi goes out but not the modem signal? It might be best to try to use the xfinity forums - link - and post the technical stats. Could be any number of things, even issues with some wiring etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only pay $10 per month for internet with Medicom?!? That seems impossible, especially with them and that price.

So if I do the 200 Mpbs internet plan with them for ten bucks, I can stream my smart tv and use my laptop at the same time and not have any issues, no delays or anything?
No it's a $10 upgrade from what I had. $79.99 for 100 Mbps with $10.00 upgrade is $89.99 a month - yes expensive AF but worth it for me. I am usually streaming like 3 different things when I'm home and game quite a bit so the extra speed is worth it for me. Before that I was paying just over $200 a month for internet and mediacom cable, so I'm saving about $50/60 a month and have better internet than before

I only have one remote for each TV, running YouTube TV, Netflix. It's a Roku stick and remote.

No it's a $10 upgrade from what I had. $79.99 for 100 Mbps with $10.00 upgrade is $89.99 a month - yes expensive AF but worth it for me. I am usually streaming like 3 different things when I'm home and game quite a bit so the extra speed is worth it for me. Before that I was paying just over $200 a month for internet and mediacom cable, so I'm saving about $50/60 a month and have better internet than before
do you think mediacoms download speeds 60 Mbps up to 1GIG for $19.99 will work for running my smart tv and my laptop at the same time?

This is why I am getting rid of cable to save cash. ImOn cable/internet has just gauged me over the past 4 years Every mid December for four now I get the same exact letter from them saying my rates will go up starting January 1st. It's joke. Here is how my conversation went with the ImOn rep when I called them last month to let them know that I did not want to re-up after my two year plan ends......

Me: I would like to know when my two year contract with ImOn officially ends, I wish to not re-up with you. (I knew it was ending in the next few months but didn't know the exact end date.)

ImOn Rep: Let me look that up for you. I think it ends at the end of April.

Me: I don't want you to guess, I want to know the exact date because I don't want you to keep billing me after my two year plan ends because then the rates will really go up without a special plan in place, and I don't want to continue with another two year plan.

ImOn Rep: I just told you, I think it ends at the end of April some time.

Me: You obviously don't know what you are doing or even talking about, I want an exact date! If you don't know, let me talk to a manager (I was pissed at this point.)

ImOn Rep: Please hold, sir

Five -seven minutes later the rep comes back on the line.

ImOn: Your two year plan ends on March 2nd, I will cancel you cable and internet after that date.

If I would have not pushed the subject, my rates for them would have doubled from what I am currently paying. Also, they have your hands tied when you do a two year deal. If you bail in year one you get fined $200, if you bail on the plan in year two you get fined $100. Plus, I have to have my router back to them before March 2nd or they fine you.

Also what i don't get is that my contract ends March 2nd but the ImOn rep said that I will get billed again in March. Not sure why I have to pay that?! I think they will do anything to take your money!! Even with a special plan in place with a fixed rate, ImOn will still raise your rates somehow. A few years ago I suddenly had to pay a router fee. I have had a router from them for years and never paid one. Best part, the ImOn rep didn't ask me why I was leaving them or try to offer me any special to keep me as a customer, and I had been with them for over 10 years!

do you think mediacoms download speeds 60 Mbps up to 1GIG for $19.99 will work for running my smart tv and my laptop at the same time?
Yes that should be much more than plenty speedwise. The biggest concern I would have with mediacom is their monthly data caps as I mentioned in my earlier post. $10 for each 50 gig over your monthly cap. I would probably avoid streaming in 4k if you can as it can use a lot of data. Certain Netflix shows stream at 4k but I think there's a setting to turn that off. Most TV channels only stream in 720p

SD-quality video uses about 0.7GB (700MB) per hour. ... HD-quality video uses about 0.9GB (720p), 1.5GB (1080p) and 3GB (2K) per hour. UHD quality video uses a lot of data. A 4K stream uses about 7.2GB per hour.

I often turn the TV on before I go to bed and fall asleep while a show is still on. Not doing that or setting a sleep timer would greatly help reduce your data usage. Mediacom does offer a tracker which shows how close you are to your data caps. I liked not having to worry about the caps so i have 1 Terrabyte cap which I've only hit about 89% of I think with two kids and a wife streaming separately from me.

Cable companies are terrible (has anyone ever had something decent to say about them??) and I want you to understand that Mediacom is no better. I don't want to be political but I'd be happy if somebody reviewed the whole internet industry and stopped their price gouging and opened up more competition. After all, it was our tax money that helped build the system they are now charging us to use!

I had to switch to YouTube TV when Playstation Vue went out of business, and I'm very impressed so far. I'm especially happy with the lack of lag. It's nearly zero compared to other online services, which is really nice when watching games.

What brand is your router? The wifi goes out but not the modem signal? It might be best to try to use the xfinity forums - link - and post the technical stats. Could be any number of things, even issues with some wiring etc.
The router is google wifi. I'll try the forum. Thanks

I had to switch to YouTube TV when Playstation Vue went out of business, and I'm very impressed so far. I'm especially happy with the lack of lag. It's nearly zero compared to other online services, which is really nice when watching games.

My only complaint moving from Vue to YouTube is the UI on the Vue was so much better than YouTube's. It was much easier to navigate, set up favorites, see what shows were coming next, etc. If YouTube would just switch to putting the channels across the top with the shows going down instead of across, plus take the font down a couple of sizes, it'd be so much better. Plus, there's no easy way to get to the guide like there was with the Vue. But I do agree that the lag issues that were plaguing Vue towards the end are gone, which is nice.

The router is google wifi. I'll try the forum. Thanks
Ah my bad, seems like a really vague name for a router and I didn't realize it was one. Usually it would be something like Google JHW6200N or some shit if it was a different brand

Ah my bad, seems like a really vague name for a router and I didn't realize it was one. Usually it would be something like Google JHW6200N or some shit if it was a different brand
I'm sure it has a model #, it's the one with 3 of them, not the Google Nest router.

Last edited:

Latest posts