OT: TV Streaming (Hulu)

Side note, what's your usage like that 60 isn't fast enough?

When I was deciding between 75 and 100 I cranked every device I have to a full HD stream simultaneously and I could still get a speed test up to like 20 mbps remaining.

I admittedly don't have a ton of devices, but I had an iPad and two phones steaming YouTube, my computer streaming 4K, and two TVs streaming 1080p, all at the same time and it never choked. Not doubting you at all but you must have a bunch of content going on.

I have South Slope and I think around 60. I have a family of 4 including twin 13 yr olds and this seems enough for us. I don't have any complaints. I'm lucky to have a local company like South Slope who is pretty reasonable for price and unlimited so don't have to worry about that.

There are still ISPs in 2020 that have data caps?

Holy shit.

My son and I can easily use around a TB in a month depending on the time of year at 75 mbps down and 10 up. I pay $58 for that.

You guys stuck with those providers are getting HOSED.
Yep it's a corrupt industry that is basically handed a monopoly and uses infrastructure that our tax money mostly payed for and price gouges the shit out of us. Google "cable 400 billion" if you want to learn more, prepare to be pissed

So I pay for internet & cable with ImOn at around $135 per month. I opened my monthly bill today and suddenly it was $97.90. My contract ends March 2nd and they told me I would get one more bill in March. So I'm wondering why my rate suddenly dropped?

You have to have a valid credit card for those free trials so the email address thing is really a moot point. Unless you move physical addresses and use a different credit card each time you're not going to be able to do that.

As a test I just signed out of YT and tried to sign up for a free trial with a different email and credit card. Wouldn't let me due to my location.

A VPN might get you around it for a while, but in my experience Hulu and YT are damn good at detecting them and even if you did get access it wouldn't be reliable for very long.

And yet I did it for a whole season...

You have to have a valid credit card for those free trials so the email address thing is really a moot point. Unless you move physical addresses and use a different credit card each time you're not going to be able to do that.

As a test I just signed out of YT and tried to sign up for a free trial with a different email and credit card. Wouldn't let me due to my location.

A VPN might get you around it for a while, but in my experience Hulu and YT are damn good at detecting them and even if you did get access it wouldn't be reliable for very long.

If you do it from same computer, I could see that being an issue, I guess.

And yet I did it for a whole season...
If you did a single free trial each time with a different service it would work (once for each service). But not multiple free trials on one service.
If you do it from same computer, I could see that being an issue, I guess.
Wrong.

It has nothing to do with which computer you use. It’s your IP address, which is the unique identifier to your modem and location. You could do it from 10 different computers in your house and it won’t work.

If next year you try to run a free trial again from your house, even with a different email and credit card (I tested it on Hulu and YT after your first post), it won’t work. You can try to use a VPN (and I have), but streaming services are damn good at detecting them and get better all the time. Google is ridiculously quick at updating IP databases, good luck lol.

You’re either bullshitting us or you don’t understand how it works.

If you did a single free trial each time with a different service it would work (once for each service). But not multiple free trials on one service.

Wrong.

It has nothing to do with which computer you use. It’s your IP address, which is the unique identifier to your modem and location. You could do it from 10 different computers in your house and it won’t work.

If next year you try to run a free trial again from your house, even with a different email and credit card (I tested it on Hulu and YT after your first post), it won’t work. You can try to use a VPN (and I have), but streaming services are damn good at detecting them and get better all the time. Google is ridiculously quick at updating IP databases, good luck lol.

Which is WHY I was able to do it. Home, office, etc. I used YouTube 3 different times, PS Vue 2 times, ATT Now, Sling and Fubo the rest. (NW I was in Evanston, ISU & Wiscy I watched at local I-Club hangout).

And yes, it WILL work next year. YT, Sling and Fubo all allow one free trial per year. The problem being, of course, is not remembering which computer and network I was on when I did each trial.

BTW, I used the very same credit card for ALL the trials.

Next year may be different. IF something besides Fubo (PSVue being gone sucks in this respect) has Hallmark Channel, I will pay for "live" during the season. Wife would not only "allow", she would enthusiastically support. I would do Hulu Live again since I already have Hulu. But in the two or three years that we have accessed Hulu Live, they've never added Hallmark Channel. That's the one channel my wife would pay damn near anything to have without adding or switching providers.

The one thing I took from trying all the different ones: totally a matter of personal preference. No major lag issues, I could care less about the guide/menu since I (personally) only watch Iowa games "live", and the cost is similar across the board, except for ATT Now, which is criminally high. The tier I had--and I couldn't find other levels/plans--was $80. That's ridiculous.

Our cable provider (who provides our internet) tries to get me to do their streaming service. It's $22/month, you get local channels PLUS 10 or 15 others. You can also add movie channels "a la carte". When I ask about BTN, they say, "That probably needs a special sports package", then after the usual hold, they come back and say, "For that, you're better off getting a cable package". Not sure if they hear the "click" when I hang up.

I understand perfectly how it works. I have been in communications-related field since 1986. Our office uses multiple static IPs, among other things (we are a HIPAA-compliant location).

BTW...WTF would I bullshit about getting free trials through football season? I'll grant this: I didn't write down which ones I did from which computer each time, so I very well COULD run into issues next season. At which point I'll just go back to Hulu Live.for 3+ months. But the reason I did it that way this year is I actually kind of wondered if one was "better" than the rest. Personally, I don't care, as long as I can get Fox/Fox-related, BTN, and ESPN/ESPN-related. That, and I literally watched NOTHING else "live", during the trials. The one program I can't get on Hulu--The Blacklist--I can get on the NBC app on Roku. Everything else we watch we get on Hulu or Amazon Prime apps. $16/month for the two of them, $70 for the internet, although I think it just went to $74. For 100-meg internet, that's pretty reasonable.

There IS a problem I ran into a few years ago. We went to Canada in 2016 for our 20th anniversary. I didn't have Hulu Live (not sure it was available, or that we had started using Hulu, yet), and I think we actually still had DirecTV, so I got the ESPN and BTN apps on my tablet. Wanted to watch the Minnesota game in Montreal and got the "This program is not available in your location" message. I could access the scores, stories, etc., but couldn't access the game.

Thanks, that's what I thought, and the Hulu Live is like $50 a month. I can go with the Blue & Orange plans with Sling and get live tv shows for $20 the first month but goes up to $45 per month, but it has what I want except the Big 10 Network

This streaming tv thing is confusing.
I really like the YouTube+ sports package for $55 a month, get the Big, espn, FS1, and more. Plus many major networks, and I can record games.

In Dubuque I cut the cable cord but kept the internet for 65 a month, that was 4 years ago, now it 89 dollars a month and holding. That pisses me off but what choice do I have. The nice thing is my kids and I split the services. I have four daughters and each one gets either netflick, Hulu, Youtube +, and Amazon prime. We just share and try not to duplicate services. Half our communication is to ask each other passwords.

In Dubuque I cut the cable cord but kept the internet for 65 a month, that was 4 years ago, now it 89 dollars a month and holding. That pisses me off but what choice do I have. The nice thing is my kids and I split the services. I have four daughters and each one gets either netflick, Hulu, Youtube +, and Amazon prime. We just share and try not to duplicate services. Half our communication is to ask each other passwords.
Yeah. Same here. Satellite got expensive but with internet plus streaming service it’s pretty much the same cost as before.

We should charge streaming service for using our internet to provide their product — yes, I know that’s not how it works.

What worriers me is that the cable companies that carry internet will jack their internet rates up now that they are losing cable customers to tv streaming

Wrong.

I’ve done multiple free trials with the same streaming provider from the same home with the same IP address using different email addresses. Specifically with Hulu Live to see if they support 60fps, as that affects sporting events dramatically. So the above info is incorrect, at least in my experience. You could have two paid services with the same service from the same IP address from the same home. So it cannot be correct. With that said, I settled on youtube tv and philo.

Last edited:
Yeah. Same here. Satellite got expensive but with internet plus streaming service it’s pretty much the same cost as before.

We should charge streaming service for using our internet to provide their product — yes, I know that’s not how it works.

For me my costs came way down. I had Netflix and fast internet before I cut the cord, and still have the Satellite. So for me going from $100+ a month for Satellite to $50 for streaming was all money savings as I was going to have the fast internet and Netflix no matter what I used for Satellite/Cable/Streaming TV.

For me my costs came way down. I had Netflix and fast internet before I cut the cord, and still have the Satellite. So for me going from $100+ a month for Satellite to $50 for streaming was all money savings as I was going to have the fast internet and Netflix no matter what I used for Satellite/Cable/Streaming TV.
True. Going to have internet either way.

I just looked at Mediacoms $39.99 internet plan that I would need for streaming. Then I clicked on the "Terms & Conditons" section for it. So it's a two year deal, $39.99 for one year, the second year it goes up to $69.99.
A $30 dollar a month increase and an additional $360 per year for internet.

Last edited:
Which is WHY I was able to do it. Home, office, etc. I used YouTube 3 different times, PS Vue 2 times, ATT Now, Sling and Fubo the rest. (NW I was in Evanston, ISU & Wiscy I watched at local I-Club hangout).

And yes, it WILL work next year. YT, Sling and Fubo all allow one free trial per year. The problem being, of course, is not remembering which computer and network I was on when I did each trial.

BTW, I used the very same credit card for ALL the trials.

Next year may be different. IF something besides Fubo (PSVue being gone sucks in this respect) has Hallmark Channel, I will pay for "live" during the season. Wife would not only "allow", she would enthusiastically support. I would do Hulu Live again since I already have Hulu. But in the two or three years that we have accessed Hulu Live, they've never added Hallmark Channel. That's the one channel my wife would pay damn near anything to have without adding or switching providers.

The one thing I took from trying all the different ones: totally a matter of personal preference. No major lag issues, I could care less about the guide/menu since I (personally) only watch Iowa games "live", and the cost is similar across the board, except for ATT Now, which is criminally high. The tier I had--and I couldn't find other levels/plans--was $80. That's ridiculous.

Our cable provider (who provides our internet) tries to get me to do their streaming service. It's $22/month, you get local channels PLUS 10 or 15 others. You can also add movie channels "a la carte". When I ask about BTN, they say, "That probably needs a special sports package", then after the usual hold, they come back and say, "For that, you're better off getting a cable package". Not sure if they hear the "click" when I hang up.

I understand perfectly how it works. I have been in communications-related field since 1986. Our office uses multiple static IPs, among other things (we are a HIPAA-compliant location).

BTW...WTF would I bullshit about getting free trials through football season? I'll grant this: I didn't write down which ones I did from which computer each time, so I very well COULD run into issues next season. At which point I'll just go back to Hulu Live.for 3+ months. But the reason I did it that way this year is I actually kind of wondered if one was "better" than the rest. Personally, I don't care, as long as I can get Fox/Fox-related, BTN, and ESPN/ESPN-related. That, and I literally watched NOTHING else "live", during the trials. The one program I can't get on Hulu--The Blacklist--I can get on the NBC app on Roku. Everything else we watch we get on Hulu or Amazon Prime apps. $16/month for the two of them, $70 for the internet, although I think it just went to $74. For 100-meg internet, that's pretty reasonable.

There IS a problem I ran into a few years ago. We went to Canada in 2016 for our 20th anniversary. I didn't have Hulu Live (not sure it was available, or that we had started using Hulu, yet), and I think we actually still had DirecTV, so I got the ESPN and BTN apps on my tablet. Wanted to watch the Minnesota game in Montreal and got the "This program is not available in your location" message. I could access the scores, stories, etc., but couldn't access the game.

If you have a Roku, you can get the Hallmark Movie Channel app for $6/month. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/8679/hallmark-movies-now

Latest posts