OT: Tubby Smith fired form MN

Huh? Check out 2014. They have two top 10 kids, and another in the top 50. If you landed Jones, Vaughn and Travis you would be at the top of the Big 10 in short order.
Nailed it...one year's recruiting class debunks everything...

On a less sarcastic note, do you have info for the past 10 years or so to also back up your disapproval? It would mean more for your argument.

Nailed it...one year's recruiting class debunks everything...

On a less sarcastic note, do you have info for the past 10 years or so to also back up your disapproval? It would mean more for your argument.

You mean to tell me that the Twin Cities cannot produce enough D1 players for Minnesota?

All I have to say is,

Saul Smith was a str8 baller for Kentucky while Tubs was there. Wildcat fans all over the land loved watching that guy run the point.

I had a dream last night that Minn fired Tubs and hired Steve Alfraud......Well, half of that has taken place. =D

BTW, with this post, I am officially a legend.

Also, In no way am I saying this will happen. Was just a weird dream to have the day before Tubs is actually fired.

I am not sure why, but I enjoyed this. Something is wrong with me.

I had a dream last night that Minn fired Tubs and hired Steve Alfraud......Well, half of that has taken place. =D

BTW, with this post, I am officially a legend.

Also, In no way am I saying this will happen. Was just a weird dream to have the day before Tubs is actually fired.

Let me be the first to congratulate you, Scooter, on your achievement of becoming a legend. It's about time.

Also, layoff the flamming hot Cheetos before bed, and that should help with your weird dreams.

Tubby had a better five year run than any coach at Minny who didn't cheat (Musselman and Haskins).

The fire was stupid. Minny has a minnymal in-state talent base and its a hard as snot place to get quality out of state kids to come to

thow them in with nebby and penn state now

My opinion is that the Minnesota and Iowa job are roughly in the same category. Not a top Big Ten job, but not the basement either. Tubby's run at Minnesota was worse than Alford's at Iowa. Yet Iowa fans thought we could do better. The national media, however, had the perception that Iowa fans had unrealistic expectations and should have embraced Alford instead of pushing him out. Same perceptions we are seeing with Tubby and Minnesota.

Hawkeye and Gopher fans were more dialed in than the national media, though. They saw consistently below .500 conference records, teams that rarely improved as the season progressed, and little player development. They also saw a coach who was frustrated and complained about his players never receiving his message, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of improvement. I'd argue the situation was clearly worse under Smith (aside from Alford's personality).

The gamble is that you end up with a Lickliter. But I think the AD Teague is extremely competent and will hire a guy who will instantly energize that program.

You move along from an Alford or a Smith because there are enough Fran McCafferys out there that an AD with good connections and the right skills can unearth one.

And maybe he can even talk a Shaka Smart into making the leap.

My opinion is that the Minnesota and Iowa job are roughly in the same category. Not a top Big Ten job, but not the basement either. Tubby's run at Minnesota was worse than Alford's at Iowa. Yet Iowa fans thought we could do better. The national media, however, had the perception that Iowa fans had unrealistic expectations and should have embraced Alford instead of pushing him out. Same perceptions we are seeing with Tubby and Minnesota.

Hawkeye and Gopher fans were more dialed in than the national media, though. They saw consistently below .500 conference records, teams that rarely improved as the season progressed, and little player development. They also saw a coach who was frustrated and complained about his players never receiving his message, instead of taking responsibility for the lack of improvement. I'd argue the situation was clearly worse under Smith (aside from Alford's personality).

The gamble is that you end up with a Lickliter. But I think the AD Teague is extremely competent and will hire a guy who will instantly energize that program.

You move along from an Alford or a Smith because there are enough Fran McCafferys out there that an AD with good connections and the right skills can unearth one.

And maybe he can even talk a Shaka Smart into making the leap.

No, SA results at Iowa were worse than Tubby at Minny.

SA: 8 years. 3 NCAA tournys ,one win. 2 NITs 20+ wins 4 times.
Tubby: 6 years, 3 NCAA tournys,one win, 3NITs 20+ wins all six years.

SA only had a winning Big Ten record 3 times in 8 years....9-7 twice,and 11-5.

SA left Iowa to take the job at NM,he was not fired. He was not going to be fired.
Tubby was fired.

Bottom line, Minny is basically firing Tubby,eating 3 million,on the hopes they will land Ty Jones,Vaughn or Travis? .....good luck to them...it aint happening.

No, SA results at Iowa were worse than Tubby at Minny.

SA: 8 years. 3 NCAA tournys ,one win. 2 NITs 20+ wins 4 times.
Tubby: 6 years, 3 NCAA tournys,one win, 3NITs 20+ wins all six years.

SA only had a winning Big Ten record 3 times in 8 years....9-7 twice,and 11-5.

SA left Iowa to take the job at NM,he was not fired. He was not going to be fired.
Tubby was fired.

Bottom line, Minny is basically firing Tubby,eating 3 million,on the hopes they will land Ty Jones,Vaughn or Travis? .....good luck to them...it aint happening.

I disagree with a lot of this. How were the Alford results worse? He had three winning Big Ten years in 8 seasons. Tubby had zero in six.

I don't think Tubby was fired out of desperation to land one of the big in-state recruits. He was fired because he had zero winning seasons in the Big Ten in six years. Have you watched Minnesota play the past 6 years? Tubby had a 15-29 record in the month of February. No Big Ten coach has done less with more over the past decade. That is why he was fired.

I think that the on court comparison between Alford and Smith was a push at best.

However since off the court Alford was a *****. I would say that that Smith was better.

Lets put it this way, MN is not a job people are lining up to get.
MN will have to shake the cash and they very well may. Even if they do, MN has been and always will be a middle of the pack team at best.

If Iowa finished tied for 7th next year (remember, this was supposed to be Tubby's breakout year), then 9th in year 5 and tied for 7th again in year 6, would you want Iowa to keep Fran?

Last edited:
I think that the on court comparison between Alford and Smith was a push at best.

However since off the court Alford was a *****. I would say that that Smith was better.

5 asterisks. Hmmm, you've got me intrigued. Dou**e, di**, cu**, sleaze, schmuck, a**hat and a**hole don't work, maybe pr**k?

What do others think? Alford, off-court, 5 letters, go...

If Iowa finished tied for 7th next year (remember, this was supposed to be Tubby's breakout year), then 9th in year 5 and tied for 7th again in year 6, would you want Iowa to keep Fran?

Good point, I'd say probably in that case, he gone.

But it seems weird for a program that had five tournament appearances before Tub's arrival, no conference championships in 30 years, more than 20 years since its last Sweet 16 and only Elite 8, to be so heavily dissatisfied with his 3 tournament appearances in 5 years.

Good point, I'd say probably in that case, he gone.

But it seems weird for a program that had five tournament appearances before Tub's arrival, no conference championships in 30 years, more than 20 years since its last Sweet 16 and only Elite 8, to be so heavily dissatisfied with his 3 tournament appearances in 5 years.

this

MstP is a huge area, and yes is produces D1 kids, but not, by itself, a steady stream of high D1 kids to contend for a B1G title.

iowa and minny are similar, but it has been an easier sell for quality out of state talent since the Dutcher era started -- for coaches who didn't wrack up violations (Musselman and Haskins).

pity the minny. no football, no basketball...but they got hockey, right?

Latest posts