OT: Mike Leach has 10 plays

hwk23

Just listening to Rick Neuheisel on the radio and he was talking about watching practices for Washington State. He says Mike Leach only has 7 pass plays and 3 run plays. They practice each play for entire days at a time and only one play per day. He said he initially thought it was crazy but realized it was genius. The point is each play has a thousand nuances depending on how the defense reacts, etc, so the team is basically evolving as they practice. Anyway, thought it was interesting.

It kind of is genius. The teams obviously work the most on reading the defense and reacting correctly. So, they practice one play at a time and master it and its reads. There is something to be said about limiting plays for players and doing the plays well then have a ton of plays. They can always run the 7 plays out of a few different formations.

On the other side, could you image the shit Ferentz would take on here if it came out Iowa only had 7 plays?

It kind of is genius. The teams obviously work the most on reading the defense and reacting correctly. So, they practice one play at a time and master it and its reads. There is something to be said about limiting plays for players and doing the plays well then have a ton of plays. They can always run the 7 plays out of a few different formations.

On the other side, could you image the shit Ferentz would take on here if it came out Iowa only had 7 plays?
It's really smart in college where you have 18 year old kids and limited practice time. I think it's the right way to run a lesser talented program. Let's say you have slow WRs. Does it really make sense to come up with some super complicated wrinkle play to get your guy the ball in space? Probably not, he's not gonna turn it upfield for a 30 yard gain. Better off focusing on executing those plays that go for 8 yards. As you add plays, you add the potential for all sorts of errors and you dilute your other plays. Of course, when you have 7 base pass plays and your WR and your QB both have to make the same read you might be asking for trouble. See, e.g. Greg Davis offense.

It's really smart in college where you have 18 year old kids and limited practice time. I think it's the right way to run a lesser talented program. Let's say you have slow WRs. Does it really make sense to come up with some super complicated wrinkle play to get your guy the ball in space? Probably not, he's not gonna turn it upfield for a 30 yard gain. Better off focusing on executing those plays that go for 8 yards. As you add plays, you add the potential for all sorts of errors and you dilute your other plays. Of course, when you have 7 base pass plays and your WR and your QB both have to make the same read you might be asking for trouble. See, e.g. Greg Davis offense.

One of my favorite quotes is "If you focus on everything, you focus on nothing". I periodically state this to my staff.

Interesting formation. If I was running defense against this I would line head up on that center and just pound him. Not sure how much you could consistently run it in a single game. I would have to see the different wrinkles they show in a practice

Just listening to Rick Neuheisel on the radio and he was talking about watching practices for Washington State. He says Mike Leach only has 7 pass plays and 3 run plays. They practice each play for entire days at a time and only one play per day. He said he initially thought it was crazy but realized it was genius. The point is each play has a thousand nuances depending on how the defense reacts, etc, so the team is basically evolving as they practice. Anyway, thought it was interesting.

Our offense just needs to add six more plays to catch up...

Ten plays is way the hell more than the Hawks use. We have 4 by my last count.

1) 2 hole dive with no blocker.

2) The ole jet sweepity doo da.

3) The famous, world renowned play...what I like to call, “Death, Taxes, Iowa Out Route 4 Yards Short Of Wherever The First Down Marker Is” third down convert-a-rooni.

4) Punt.

Interesting formation. If I was running defense against this I would line head up on that center and just pound him. Not sure how much you could consistently run it in a single game. I would have to see the different wrinkles they show in a practice

Actually in that formation, the "center" is an eligible receiver as he is at the end of the line and uncovered. It could well be a snap to the running back and then a pass back to the "center". He wouldn't even have to report as 17 is an eligible number for a receiver.

Vince Lombardi did not have a lot of plays when coaching the Packers. They did the same thing.....practiced them over and over and over, until everyone knew exactly what to do in every situation. There were nuances to be sure, but because the plays were “ingrained”, the players were able to react automatically without having to think.