OT - Congratulations to my Cubbies - Iowa/NU more crazy

Well I'm a Cardinals fan and while I'm disappointed they lost it's been a pretty good run for quite awhile. Probably more than a fan should expect. Besides who doesn't want to see the dream play out and watch the Cubs win the World Series. I don't have hatred for the Cubs like I do cyfans. The history of the Cubs should make any baseball fan feel good about their season.

I actually have nothing against the Cubs at all. If I'm "butthurt" its because the Cardinals couldn't stay healthy and their starting pitching fell apart at the end after carrying the team all season. I said in another thread that I actually hope the Cubs win the world series this year so people can stop talking about the "lovable losers" and "is this the year they finally win it" crap. I would be completely fine with them winning the world series this year. I would actually like to see how many murders happen in chicago that night as opposed to how many already happen each night (that is sarcasm)

My "butthurt" comes from the bandwagon fans which seems to take up the majority of the fan base. I saw nothing on my social media from any cubs fans (save 1 or 2 people) until this october when suddenly everyone I knew was a Cubs fan. One of my best friends watched maybe 3 Cubs games all year and suddenly he is wearing Cubs gear and going to the bar for the game and talking sh*t to me like he knows anything about baseball. Where have all these people been the last five years?

As for the Cubs, right now its lining up pretty nicely for them. If they face the dodgers, they won't see Kershaw/Greinke until game 2 and 3...6 and 7. So they should win game 1 with Arrieta, and if they can steal either game 2 or 3 then they should win it. If they face the mets, they have the better offense while the Mets have the better rotation/bullpen. Cubs I think would be favored there.

As for the World Series....the Blue Jays/Cubs would be an offenses wet dream.

Also, I think Theo is a great GM, but I'll always laugh at him for signing Edwin Jackson to that ridiculous contract. :rolleyes:

Cubs fans = ISU fans....such a perfect correlation it hurts.

Cubs could get swept in the pennant series but all we'll hear all winter is 'Yeah, but we beat the Cardinals.'

You better get used to it with 75% of their roster all under the age of 26. They are going to be around for then next several years.

I actually have nothing against the Cubs at all. If I'm "butthurt" its because the Cardinals couldn't stay healthy and their starting pitching fell apart at the end after carrying the team all season. I said in another thread that I actually hope the Cubs win the world series this year so people can stop talking about the "lovable losers" and "is this the year they finally win it" crap. I would be completely fine with them winning the world series this year. I would actually like to see how many murders happen in chicago that night as opposed to how many already happen each night (that is sarcasm)

My "butthurt" comes from the bandwagon fans which seems to take up the majority of the fan base. I saw nothing on my social media from any cubs fans (save 1 or 2 people) until this october when suddenly everyone I knew was a Cubs fan. One of my best friends watched maybe 3 Cubs games all year and suddenly he is wearing Cubs gear and going to the bar for the game and talking sh*t to me like he knows anything about baseball. Where have all these people been the last five years?

As for the Cubs, right now its lining up pretty nicely for them. If they face the dodgers, they won't see Kershaw/Greinke until game 2 and 3...6 and 7. So they should win game 1 with Arrieta, and if they can steal either game 2 or 3 then they should win it. If they face the mets, they have the better offense while the Mets have the better rotation/bullpen. Cubs I think would be favored there.

I wont beat up on ya too much. Yet you do realize that when teams stink the fans don't really have anything to post on "Facebook" or things to be vocal about. Let's face it the Cubs came out of nowhere this year, like KC did last year. I see a ton more KC fans now than I ever have, and I guess it just doesn't bother me. I mean you used to be able to go to a Royals game for $5, but winning changes all of that for every team, not just the Cubs.

I wont beat up on ya too much. Yet you do realize that when teams stink the fans don't really have anything to post on "Facebook" or things to be vocal about. Let's face it the Cubs came out of nowhere this year, like KC did last year. I see a ton more KC fans now than I ever have, and I guess it just doesn't bother me. I mean you used to be able to go to a Royals game for $5, but winning changes all of that for every team, not just the Cubs.

They may have come out a year early but it certainly wasn't out of nowhere.

Who refuses to acknowledge it and why would that **** you off? The Cubs were poorly run for nearly 70 years. They sacrificed long term success for short term success many times over that time period. When Theo took over they were a 71 win team with a big payroll and old roster. I was ecstatic when the Cubs hired Theo, it would have ****** me off if they would have given him a mandate that they need to compete right away. When you pay what the Cubs paid to hire Theo and all the additional front office staff, it would be stupid not to let them execute their plan the way they best saw fit.

There is no "dual-tracks" path to success as some in the media wanted the team to do, where you're rebuilding the minor league system while still trying to compete at the big league level, the Cubs were in no place for that kind of project. They had to tear everything down to rebuild it to the point where the Cubs are at today. Theo and Co. have been incredibly transparent about what they were trying to do. 2012, 2013 and the first half of 2014 were not real fun, there were some times when a moment like this seemed very far away, but it's certainly paid off this year and their window to win is only beginning.

Soriono and his contract were a boat anchor for the Cubs franchise and they had to find a way to move past that.

Last edited:

Yeah but...I hate the cubs

Yea, I get what you are saying. the bandwagon fan is annoying and now they are all coming out of wallpaper. I for one have been a Cubs fan since my LL days when young. I have either watched the games live or DVR each game they play. Anybody that really knows me knows my fandom loyalty. I've replaced my 4 year old tattered T-shirts with new this year including a Schwarber shirt.

Sorry for the resume, but I have waited my whole life for this enduring so many painful season endings, and I'm not going to now let anyone ruin my high.

I've had a Cub flag in my yard by our landscaping hanging on a wire holder every summer until the season is over. Luckily, I get to keep the sign up a little longer in my yard this year!!

I'm actually not too sore over the series. I thought I would be but I'm just not. I mean imagine with me for a second:

Arrieta goes down in April and is lost for the season (Wainwright). Rizzo tears his quad and misses 2 months and he returns in mid september and isn't even close to the same player (Holliday/Adams). Pedro Strop injured his arm on April 30th and never pitched again (Walden). Soler injures his elbow half way through the season, misses 2 months and when he comes back can no longer throw from the outfield (Grichuk). Montero tears a ligament in his thumb late september and is a shell of himself in the postseason (Molina).

If all that happened, do you think the cubs still win 90 games and win the NLDS? I don't. yet thats basically what happened to the cardinals and they somehow still won the division and a hundred games. It was a miracle they did what they did.

Disclaimer: for comparisons, no I don't think Rizzo = Holliday because thats nonsense. I combined both Holliday and Adams into one Rizzo...which still might not be enough. That dude is a beast

I'm actually not too sore over the series. I thought I would be but I'm just not. I mean imagine with me for a second:

Arrieta goes down in April and is lost for the season (Wainwright). Rizzo tears his quad and misses 2 months and he returns in mid september and isn't even close to the same player (Holliday/Adams). Pedro Strop injured his arm on April 30th and never pitched again (Walden). Soler injures his elbow half way through the season, misses 2 months and when he comes back can no longer throw from the outfield (Grichuk). Montero tears a ligament in his thumb late september and is a shell of himself in the postseason (Molina).

If all that happened, do you think the cubs still win 90 games and win the NLDS? I don't. yet thats basically what happened to the cardinals and they somehow still won the division and a hundred games. It was a miracle they did what they did.

Disclaimer: for comparisons, no I don't think Rizzo = Holliday because thats nonsense. I combined both Holliday and Adams into one Rizzo...which still might not be enough. That dude is a beast

I absolutely respect what the Cardinals have done in recent history and especially this year with all the injuries. I just think this series represents so much more than just winning the 2015 NLDS. We'll look back in 5-10 years after the Cubs have been dominating the NL Central and point to this moment in time of when it all started.

Cubs fans are not like Cyclone fans. The Cubs have actually WON two world series, and multiple pennants, division championships and wild card championships. The Cyclones have never won anything in football, ever.

I ask you, does Mike Matheny do what Madden did with the young Cubs roster. Does Matheny find a way to get all those young guys to play loose & all be successful? Madden is the Zenmaster coach of the MLB. I'm not sure many could have mined the productivity out of so many young players such as he did.

Holliday/Adams may have been hurt, but Piscotty did a pretty great job in their place so the production wasn't lost, just replaced. Soler should be a future star whereas Grichuk is a quadruple A player/bench bat. Molina's bat was cold pretty much all season even before the injury.

The Cubs played a couple weeks without Bryant and months without Schwaber. Soler missed a lot of time, Denorfia missed a bunch of time, LaStella was out most of the season, Montero missed several weeks. Rameriez didn't pitch all year, and the Cubs never really even had a real #5 pitcher all year long.

It is a long season, all teams battle through injuries, and that is why having a good organization is so vital, as you have to dig deep into the organization over 162 games.