OT - Congratulations to my Cubbies - Iowa/NU more crazy

A tip-of-the-golf-hat to a team that won a nice five game opening series against a team without a fully healthy cy-young pitcher, 2nd pitcher, all-star catcher, 1B'man, LF'er, on and on.

I'll check back when you win the pennant.

BTW....what you're hearing isn't Cubbie excitement....it's down-right relief.

I'm not a Cubs fan but I am pulling for them; what kind of a monster could hate them, it's like kicking a cute little puppy. I swear the last time I heard as much whining as I'm hearing from Card fans was the the last time I checked out cryfan. If you can't win on the field at least try to lose with a shred of dignity and class. Theo Epstein absolutely owns the Cards and it isn't disputable. When long ball is working it overpowers small ball every time. It's why the Junior Circuit has a whipping boy named the National League.

Wow lots of butt hurt from Cardinal nation tonight. Have fun sitting at home with your 100 wins watching the Cubs (who are ahead of schedule) while they continue to play baseball in October.
P.S. You might want to get used to it, we will be good for awhile.

That's the best part of this whole thing... At this point the Cardinals want to go straight to history but this wasn't a one year fluke. This was the changing of the guard.

I'm not a Cubs fan but I am pulling for them; what kind of a monster could hate them, it's like kicking a cute little puppy. I swear the last time I heard as much whining as I'm hearing from Card fans was the the last time I checked out cryfan. If you can't win on the field at least try to lose with a shred of dignity and class. Theo Epstein absolutely owns the Cards and it isn't disputable. When long ball is working it overpowers small ball every time. It's why the Junior Circuit has a whipping boy named the National League.

Spot on. Cards fans and their whole "Act like you've been there" sh1t is old. First of all winning a NLDS, NLCS, or WS is worth celebrating for fans and players alike. Cards fans and players would celebrate if they could ever beat the Cubs in the postseason.

Secondly part of "Act like you have been there" is dealing with defeat with some class....instead Cards fans act like ISU fans when they lose.

Last edited:
That's the best part of this whole thing... At this point the Cardinals want to go straight to history but this wasn't a one year fluke. This was the changing of the guard.

I posted that in another thread. I wanted to face the Cards, because at some point the Cubs had to step up and prove that they are the new NL central power. To do that they needed to go THROUGH them. This is awesome as I thought it would take a few years to do this, but man the Cubs took it right at the Cards and beat the snot out of the Cards. It really was an impressive display by the Cubs.

The Cubs have Rizzo, Bryant, Soler, Schwarber, Russell, and Baez all under team control for at least five years. That seems like a good thing, no?

I'm a die hard cardinals fan. I watch basically all of the games live and attend at least 10 games in person (and I live in Minnesota)

The Cardinals are currently on an unprecedented modern era run of success. Since the year 2000, they have had 12 playoff appearances, 8 division titles, 4 pennants and 2 world series titles. That is an insane amount of success, nearly an impossible amount of success. Frankly, it isn't sustainable and shouldn't have been in the first place, and it couldn't last forever. Baseball is supposed to be cyclical. So to say Cardinals "want to go straight to history" is kind of foolish...they are the standard bearers of modern baseball, and they are doing it as a mid market team. Its really undeniable.

It took awhile, but the Pirates and Cubs finally sucked for so long that now its starting to payoff for them. I find it amazing that Cubs fans either forget or refuse to acknowledge the fact that their team intentionally tanked so many consecutive seasons that they were able to stockpile draft picks and talent just to catch up to the Cardinals. That would **** me off as a fan of that team.

One franchise was able to have sustained success for 15 years, the other team lost nearly 90 games 5 years in a row just so they could compete eventually down the road. Frankly, I'm happy with the Cardinals model for success rather than the Cubs model, but I say that as a diehard fan rather than most of the Cubs fans who have been MIA for 5 years just to suddenly blow up the internet with all these posts bragging because they finished 3rd in their division.

The Cubs have a ton of young sluggers and its a fun young team. I really like Soler, I think he's going to be a stud. They hit a lot of fly balls which plays well in Wrigley field, as we saw in the division series. I guess the bottom line is they're going to be good for awhile, and frankly its about damn time.

You have to give Theo credit, he got a GM that was in lock step with him. He got rid of all the dead weight and the old way of doing things. He rebuilt the club from the ground up starting in the minors.

I'm a die hard cardinals fan. I watch basically all of the games live and attend at least 10 games in person (and I live in Minnesota)

The Cardinals are currently on an unprecedented modern era run of success. Since the year 2000, they have had 12 playoff appearances, 8 division titles, 4 pennants and 2 world series titles. That is an insane amount of success, nearly an impossible amount of success. Frankly, it isn't sustainable and shouldn't have been in the first place, and it couldn't last forever. Baseball is supposed to be cyclical. So to say Cardinals "want to go straight to history" is kind of foolish...they are the standard bearers of modern baseball, and they are doing it as a mid market team. Its really undeniable.

It took awhile, but the Pirates and Cubs finally sucked for so long that now its starting to payoff for them. I find it amazing that Cubs fans either forget or refuse to acknowledge the fact that their team intentionally tanked so many consecutive seasons that they were able to stockpile draft picks and talent just to catch up to the Cardinals. That would **** me off as a fan of that team.

One franchise was able to have sustained success for 15 years, the other team lost nearly 90 games 5 years in a row just so they could compete eventually down the road. Frankly, I'm happy with the Cardinals model for success rather than the Cubs model, but I say that as a diehard fan rather than most of the Cubs fans who have been MIA for 5 years just to suddenly blow up the internet with all these posts bragging because they finished 3rd in their division.

The Cubs have a ton of young sluggers and its a fun young team. I really like Soler, I think he's going to be a stud. They hit a lot of fly balls which plays well in Wrigley field, as we saw in the division series. I guess the bottom line is they're going to be good for awhile, and frankly its about damn time.

The Cardinals are a great franchise and definitely one to model after. However, unprecedented is not the word I would use since the Giants have 3 WS titles in the past 5 years and knocked out the Cardinals in the NLCS in two of those series. So, not nearly an impossible amount of success. And, you did go straight to history, just to prove the previous poster's point.

As for tanking consecutive seasons, that's exactly what happened (traded any current asset for a future asset) and Cubs' management was up front with what was going on. Anyone who would be upset with that did not understand what was going on. It's just another way to build a team and it seems to have worked at this point.

You have to give Theo credit, he got a GM that was in lock step with him. He got rid of all the dead weight and the old way of doing things. He rebuilt the club from the ground up starting in the minors.

It all starts with Ricketts, he's been willing to go along with the plan to completely rebuild the organization, to support the selling off of assets at the ML level and live with multiple seasons of mounting losses while dumping tons of money into facilities upgrades. He's went out and hired the best people available at every level and it has really paid off.

The Yankees are on line 1....

Who refuses to acknowledge it and why would that **** you off? The Cubs were poorly run for nearly 70 years. They sacrificed long term success for short term success many times over that time period. When Theo took over they were a 71 win team with a big payroll and old roster. I was ecstatic when the Cubs hired Theo, it would have ****** me off if they would have given him a mandate that they need to compete right away. When you pay what the Cubs paid to hire Theo and all the additional front office staff, it would be stupid not to let them execute their plan the way they best saw fit.

There is no "dual-tracks" path to success as some in the media wanted the team to do, where you're rebuilding the minor league system while still trying to compete at the big league level, the Cubs were in no place for that kind of project. They had to tear everything down to rebuild it to the point where the Cubs are at today. Theo and Co. have been incredibly transparent about what they were trying to do. 2012, 2013 and the first half of 2014 were not real fun, there were some times when a moment like this seemed very far away, but it's certainly paid off this year and their window to win is only beginning.

Haha, a Cubs thread hijacked by a butt-hurt Cardinals fan...seems typical to me. Enjoy your past success because Maddon is a WAY better in-game manager than MM. Enjoy that unprecedented run!

I gotta say, this just sounds like a Cards fans giant butthurt post. To say that the Cardinals run is "unprecedented" is just silly. It is a very good run, but as another pointed out the NY Yankees is better, and if you look what the Braves did for years and years. Plus the Giants winning 3 series in 5 years is tough to beat. As I said the Cards run is great, even as I Cubs fan I fully acknowledge that, but it certainly isn't "unprecedented".

To also try to say that the Cubs success is due to "tanking" for 5 years is just dumb. They were horrible before Theo got here, and they were bad for 2 years under Theo. You act like getting high draft picks is why the Cubs are where they are now, and that is an over simplification of everything Theo has done. Tons of teams don't draft correctly when they do get the picks. The Cubs got Bryant sure, but they were widely criticized for taking a power hitting catcher out of Indiana as high as they did. Hopefully the Cubs also hit on Baez and Almora (but those picks weren't gained because Thoe "tanked" the season).

You simply ignore everything else Theo has done to change the organization from top to bottom. They absolutely stole Jake Arreata from Baltimore. Theo got Addisson Russell in a deal last year. Theo went out and got Rizzo, because he knew what he could be before he ever was that. They brought in Lester, Fowler, Montero, as well as Couglin last year. The Cubs went out in the international pool and spent everything they could according to the rules and inked Soler. There isn't a stone that Theo has left unturned in making the Chicago organization better.

None of this even touches on what Rickett has done in battling the city of Chicago, politicians, unions, and other organizations to bring much needed renovations and changes to Wrigley. The Cards have had the luxury of having a top notch organization in place. Theo has now put a top notch organization in place for Chicago in just 4 short years. What he has done in those 4 years is nothing short of amazing. Too bad as a Cards fan you can't open your eyes to see this.

I gotta say, this just sounds like a Cards fans giant butthurt post. To say that the Cardinals run is "unprecedented" is just silly. It is a very good run, but as another pointed out the NY Yankees is better, and if you look what the Braves did for years and years. Plus the Giants winning 3 series in 5 years is tough to beat. As I said the Cards run is great, even as I Cubs fan I fully acknowledge that, but it certainly isn't "unprecedented".

To also try to say that the Cubs success is due to "tanking" for 5 years is just dumb. They were horrible before Theo got here, and they were bad for 2 years under Theo. You act like getting high draft picks is why the Cubs are where they are now, and that is an over simplification of everything Theo has done. Tons of teams don't draft correctly when they do get the picks. The Cubs got Bryant sure, but they were widely criticized for taking a power hitting catcher out of Indiana as high as they did. Hopefully the Cubs also hit on Baez and Almora (but those picks weren't gained because Thoe "tanked" the season).

You simply ignore everything else Theo has done to change the organization from top to bottom. They absolutely stole Jake Arreata from Baltimore. Theo got Addisson Russell in a deal last year. Theo went out and got Rizzo, because he knew what he could be before he ever was that. They brought in Lester, Fowler, Montero, as well as Couglin last year. The Cubs went out in the international pool and spent everything they could according to the rules and inked Soler. There isn't a stone that Theo has left unturned in making the Chicago organization better.

None of this even touches on what Rickett has done in battling the city of Chicago, politicians, unions, and other organizations to bring much needed renovations and changes to Wrigley. The Cards have had the luxury of having a top notch organization in place. Theo has now put a top notch organization in place for Chicago in just 4 short years. What he has done in those 4 years is nothing short of amazing. Too bad as a Cards fan you can't open your eyes to see this.

They actually completely broke the rules on what you could spend on international free agents in 2013, they were the first team to exploit that loophole. The guys they signed that year are still a ways from the majors but Gleybar Torres is their top prospect now and Eloy Jiminez is most likely to blow up next year. As Theo promised, waves and waves of talent.

They actually completely broke the rules on what you could spend on international free agents in 2013, they were the first team to exploit that loophole. The guys they signed that year are still a ways from the majors but Gleybar Torres is their top prospect now and Eloy Jiminez is most likely to blow up next year. As Theo promised, waves and waves of talent.

Yip, that's right. Heck they weren't allowed to sign any international free agents the following year for doing that...or at least I seem to remember they couldn't sign any, but maybe I'm misremembering that.

A tip-of-the-golf-hat to a team that won a nice five game opening series against a team without a fully healthy cy-young pitcher, 2nd pitcher, all-star catcher, 1B'man, LF'er, on and on.

I'll check back when you win the pennant.

BTW....what you're hearing isn't Cubbie excitement....it's down-right relief.

Get together with Nebby football fans and you can discuss past glory and talk about how injuries are the only reason you ever lose a game.

Blaming lack of post-season success on injuries (while a legitimate explanation, they seemed to do fine for the regular season, and had players come back for post-season)?

Moving goalposts by stataing that regular season success is a better indicator of greatness than post season success (see also: super long post on Reddit. Which, given the post-season success of the cardinals, is an insane point of view)?

Certainly sounds a lot like a certain fanbase often laughed at on here .... but, in this case, the cardinals fan base fit the description. Pretty sad turn of events ... for them.

Yip, that's right. Heck they weren't allowed to sign any international free agents the following year for doing that...or at least I seem to remember they couldn't sign any, but maybe I'm misremembering that.

That's correct and they will be banned the next two years based on their overspending binge again this year.