Omicron Covid

I was talking about people who could lose more value in their 401k than they would by withdrawing, taking the tax hit, and reinvesting. That could be a grim possibility for some.

I understand, but it is moronic to withdraw the money from the 401K. It is fine to rebalance to reduce the weight of stonks, but you can do that without a withdrawal. The biggest issue right now is there is no good investment. There's a bubble in bonds. If we get a hike to even 3% rates you're going to look at monstrous losses on bonds. Cash will probably have a real yield of at least negative 5%. And who knows where stonks will go. Personally I'm a buy and hold guy except for my swing trading allocation so I'll stick in stonks, but for someone who is 65 that is scary.

To put a quick point on how well off you think everyone in the United States is I google searched "Median household income" of the US and several states. Below is Iowa just a few years ago from US Census Bureau and it is easy to tally in IRS data to come to these numbers.

Please look at the percentage of Iowans in poverty, as in POVERTY. It is 10%.
That is 300,000 Iowans officially fall under the poverty income lines. That is sickening anywhere in the US but Iowa is supposed to be so well off. My gawd Gov. Dimmy and the Repubs in the statehouse say we have a $2 billion dollar budget surplus. Well how about building some training programs etc to help people make more money. So I just laugh when you say everyone is well off.

$60,523

Table

Population
Income & Poverty
Median household income (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019$60,523
Per capita income in past 12 months (in 2019 dollars), 2015-2019$32,176
Persons in poverty, percent 10.2%
54 more rows
U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Iowa

I don't have a hard time believing that 10% of people can't get their shit straight. Now if you add into that people who are truly downtrodden that need assistance, I think that leaves around 6-7% of people that need to get their shit straight and find a path to dig out. Like stop taking drugs, get up in the morning to go to work, take accountability. So much of it is mental disease and behavior. Some have to change their lives and choose not to. Yes, those with mental disease need help and not need to be left behind.

But yes, there is a small % of the population that needs assistance, but, even some of those individuals could seek programs to better their lives.

Last edited:
Happy that you've invested smart and done well for yourself. I know people your age who aren't, or are still forced to work when they'd prefer to retire.

I would never advocate taking the tax hit on a 401k in anything less than dire circumstances. If your 60 or 61 or 62 and could lose more of your 401k than you would lose in taxes, this may be dire circumstances.

My post was aimed at people who are nearing retirement retirement age and seeing the market take a dive. As for me and my spouse we are doing OK. We are still 10-12 years from retirement and can weather this storm, just like we did in 2008-2009.
Interesting. I have a couple of old accounts that require an RMD. So, I can do some paper work, send the $ directly to my church, and it comes out tax free. I don’t itemize anymore, so this works. I don’t have huge dollars in my American Funds, but, yeah, they have been all over the map. I was sitting pretty until crazy Putin screwed up the market. Yup, hang in there. Plenty of time.

Interesting. I have a couple of old accounts that require an RMD. So, I can do some paper work, send the $ directly to my church, and it comes out tax free. I don’t itemize anymore, so this works. I don’t have huge dollars in my American Funds, but, yeah, they have been all over the map. I was sitting pretty until crazy Putin screwed up the market. Yup, hang in there. Plenty of time.

Yea, that's what happened. It's been all great until 12 days ago. Geeshus!

Yea, that's what happened. It's been all great until 12 days ago. Geeshus!
The markets were sitting at record highs for the last year. Reality hits you in the face and you look the other way if it doesnt fit your narrative. But im sure you think gas prices are going up because biden has world control over it. Educate yourself and look up why are gas prices going up. Good article on msn.com right now.

Northeast Asia has a masking rate of over 99%. I've corresponded with numerous people in Japan and Korea over the past 2 years and anecdotally I have heard that the mask rate is 100%.

Here are SK's numbers: South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

See the spike? That is with almost 100% masking.

Here are Japan's numbers: Japan COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

What's that? Another spike?

I'm not going to say masks don't work, but one must ask themselves what exactly does the word "work" mean? I suspect it may reduce your odds of catching the Germ by some very small percentage. So tell us, what do people mean when they say "masks work?" If your kid is in a crowded classroom with a piece of cloth embroidered with a my little pony logo strapped to his face and the kid next to him is blowing hot for 6 hours, that mask isn't gonna do shit.

Same question with the vaccine. Thankfully, we were given a definition of "efficacy" at the outset. Initially, it was said that it was "95% effective." Do you remember that? How did they define efficacy? Well right here in the Pfizer report to the FDA they said "The primary efficacy endpoint is incidence of COVID-19 among participants without evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection before or during the 2-dose vaccination regimen." Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 10, 2020 Meeting Briefing Document- FDA

Thankfully people are easily distracted by shiny objects and were able to be quickly reprogrammed into thinking "efficacy" equals "reduces severe cases." Ultimately, in circumstances like this the real time data is usually shit, which it is here. The safety and efficacy of the vaccine is something that will require a long period of observation. I would not say it is not effective, but I would say it is certainly not "effective" as it was originally defined. However, even that requires a caveat. It may actually be totally effective against the original variant, but the problem is coronaviruses mutate very quickly, and that certainly appears to be the case here, as the most recent variant seems to have been "more transmissible" and "less virulent."

You see, in real world data sets there are a number of variables at play, but the media and government have reduced everything to a single variable model. They also speak in absolutes, which concerns me. When you speak in absolutes about a rapidly evolving situation while dealing with imperfect information it makes me question if you are actually smart. It's like the people who were certain of what happened in the Duke Lacrosse case the moment the story broke. Or when Jussie Smollet got attacked by those Trump supporters.
So i just wanna say thanks for putting up graphs that showed that mask work thus the reason why the first 2 years these 2 countries had very low positive rates. And since the new year these 2 countries have eased rescritions which have led to an increase in cases. Thanks man i appreciate it.

Northeast Asia has a masking rate of over 99%. I've corresponded with numerous people in Japan and Korea over the past 2 years and anecdotally I have heard that the mask rate is 100%.

Here are SK's numbers: South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

See the spike? That is with almost 100% masking.

Here are Japan's numbers: Japan COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

What's that? Another spike?

I'm not going to say masks don't work, but one must ask themselves what exactly does the word "work" mean? I suspect it may reduce your odds of catching the Germ by some very small percentage. So tell us, what do people mean when they say "masks work?" If your kid is in a crowded classroom with a piece of cloth embroidered with a my little pony logo strapped to his face and the kid next to him is blowing hot for 6 hours, that mask isn't gonna do shit.

Same question with the vaccine. Thankfully, we were given a definition of "efficacy" at the outset. Initially, it was said that it was "95% effective." Do you remember that? How did they define efficacy? Well right here in the Pfizer report to the FDA they said "The primary efficacy endpoint is incidence of COVID-19 among participants without evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection before or during the 2-dose vaccination regimen." Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee December 10, 2020 Meeting Briefing Document- FDA

Thankfully people are easily distracted by shiny objects and were able to be quickly reprogrammed into thinking "efficacy" equals "reduces severe cases." Ultimately, in circumstances like this the real time data is usually shit, which it is here. The safety and efficacy of the vaccine is something that will require a long period of observation. I would not say it is not effective, but I would say it is certainly not "effective" as it was originally defined. However, even that requires a caveat. It may actually be totally effective against the original variant, but the problem is coronaviruses mutate very quickly, and that certainly appears to be the case here, as the most recent variant seems to have been "more transmissible" and "less virulent."

You see, in real world data sets there are a number of variables at play, but the media and government have reduced everything to a single variable model. They also speak in absolutes, which concerns me. When you speak in absolutes about a rapidly evolving situation while dealing with imperfect information it makes me question if you are actually smart. It's like the people who were certain of what happened in the Duke Lacrosse case the moment the story broke. Or when Jussie Smollet got attacked by those Trump supporters.
Here is another thing that is actually really sad about this is the way you people look at things. The way you look at these 2 graphs is see mask dont work because SK and Japan had covid outbreaks in the last couple months. Fact is they relaxed rescristions at the beginning of the new year to get people back to normal and wam covid outbreak.. Now here is the way I look at these graphs did you notice the first 2 years these 2 countries barely had any covid cases. Do you know why. Wait for it because they went on lockdown and had mask mandates and 85% of there population got vaxxed umm almost like that works o wait you just showed the proof that it does work. Have a nice day.

Here is another thing that is actually really sad about this is the way you people look at things. The way you look at these 2 graphs is see mask dont work because SK and Japan had covid outbreaks in the last couple months. Fact is they relaxed rescristions at the beginning of the new year to get people back to normal and wam covid outbreak.. Now here is the way I look at these graphs did you notice the first 2 years these 2 countries barely had any covid cases. Do you know why. Wait for it because they went on lockdown and had mask mandates and 85% of there population got vaxxed umm almost like that works o wait you just showed the proof that it does work. Have a nice day.

What you are arguing, and it is a point that I would totally agree with, is that draconian restrictions on movement and gatherings will reduce COVID transmission. If masks worked, you wouldn't need restrictions on movement and gatherings and cases wouldn't skyrocket when you opened things up. But again, what do you mean when you assert that "masks work?" Articulate it in plain English because I honestly don't know what it is supposed to mean. And what do you mean when you say the vaccine works? I posted the stated efficacy of the vaccine at the outset, but then the Ministry of Truth changed the definition of efficacy. Is there a stated metric of efficacy now?

Jesus F there is so much stupidity in this thread I cant believe you guys are wasting your time. People are so brainwashed by their capital owners that they have no fucking clue what is actually happening. Misinformed talking point after misinformed talking point.

Some of ya'll need to try getting your news from more than one source, it might surprise you that it doesn't all match the garbage you've been ingesting. it probably wouldnt matter though as you'd just choose to ignore what you don't agree with.

Jesus F there is so much stupidity in this thread I cant believe you guys are wasting your time. People are so brainwashed by their capital owners that they have no fucking clue what is actually happening. Misinformed talking point after misinformed talking point.

Some of ya'll need to try getting your news from more than one source, it might surprise you that it doesn't all match the garbage you've been ingesting. it probably wouldnt matter though as you'd just choose to ignore what you don't agree with.

I get my news from 2 sources. Washington Post and CNN. CNN is the most trusted name in news and anyone who ever disagrees with the statement "the science is settled" is a peddler of disinformation who should be deplatformed. It is my hope that one day in the not too distant future the government will exercise more power to take more serious action against anyone who denies settled science.

I get my news from 2 sources. Washington Post and CNN. CNN is the most trusted name in news and anyone who ever disagrees with the statement "the science is settled" is a peddler of disinformation who should be deplatformed. It is my hope that one day in the not too distant future the government will exercise more power to take more serious action against anyone who denies settled science.
Hahah, I know you're joking but all MSM is shit. Covered in biases. You can tell why if you look at who owns them and who's on their boards.

The markets were sitting at record highs for the last year. Reality hits you in the face and you look the other way if it doesnt fit your narrative. But im sure you think gas prices are going up because biden has world control over it. Educate yourself and look up why are gas prices going up. Good article on msn.com right now.
Record highs?? Lol. I'm pretty sure they have pretty much flatlined over the past 12 months. They were on a arc up when Trump was in office. Look at a graph. After Biden worked his magic over the year, it has completely flatlined and yo yo'd over the market high you speak of. It hasn't gained over that market high at all. What are you talking about?

When COVID started the market dropped a ton but gained all back prior to Trump leaving. I make up about $150,000 to get back to where it was and gained after that. Biden took office and you can see on a graph that is just flatlined.

Last edited:

beavdawg8216 said --

Boy, you and beavdawg need to get on the same page. LOL.

Record highs?? Lol. I'm pretty sure they have pretty much flatlined over the past 12 months. They were on a arc up when Trump was in office. Look at a graph. After Biden worked his magic over the years, it has completely flatlined and yo yo'd over the market high you speak of. It hasn't gained over that market high at all. What are you talking about?

When COVID started the market dropped a ton but gained all back prior to Trump leaving. I make up about $150,000 to get back to where it was and gained after that. Biden took office and you can see on a graph that is just flatlined.

Revisionist history, bruh. The market kept sailing upward after Biden was installed for a little while. Ultimately, the Fed drives a lot of where it goes and they've been basically cutting rates and printing the shit out of money for about 35 years. I think the S&P had a monster year in 2021.

Hahah, I know you're joking but all MSM is shit. Covered in biases. You can tell why if you look at who owns them and who's on their boards.

Ding ding ding. That is the first "filter" of the Propaganda Model promulgated by Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky. They call it specifically the "size, ownership and profit orientation of the mass media" filter.

Record highs?? Lol. I'm pretty sure they have pretty much flatlined over the past 12 months. They were on a arc up when Trump was in office. Look at a graph. After Biden worked his magic over the year, it has completely flatlined and yo yo'd over the market high you speak of. It hasn't gained over that market high at all. What are you talking about?

It's hilarious that you think market performance is determined by whether the white house is red or blue.

There is no reason to get info from news sources when all you had to do was look around you for the last 2 years. When I do see covid related stuff I do tend to believe the info that matches what I've lived.

There is no reason to get info from news sources when all you had to do was look around you for the last 2 years. When I do see covid related stuff I do tend to believe the info that matches what I've lived.

The news has always been pretty iffy, but in the past two decades the traditional sources of news have gotten absolutely crushed by technology changing the market landscape. The people in much of what would be considered "journalism" are making jack shit for pay and are in many cases bordering on mentally retarded. I mean, am I really supposed to trust the judgment of some 26 year old who majored in journalism, has six figures of student debt and earns a cool 32 grand a year? It's like teachers, it ain't exactly the cream of the crop.

Latest posts