Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans.

Re: Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans

The hell with Nebraska

Re: Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans

tm3308 wrote: "TEXAS had a 4-win season just a few years ago. FLORIDA won 5 games a couple years ago. OHIO STATE went 6-7 in 2011. MICHIGAN won 15 games from 2008-2010."

I would reply to that this way:
Texas: They then forced Mack Brown out 3 seasons later (a coach who had one a national championship with Texas).
Florida: Will Muschamp went 18-8 his first 2 seasons and Florida and 4-8 last season, in his 3rd year (not his 14th season). We will see how much longer he stays at Florida.
O$U: 2011 was the year after Tressle and before Meyer. A career coordinate was an interim coach for one season. That isn't even close to being what happened 2010 through 2012 at Iowa.
UM: Then UM fired Rodriguez for having such a sh*tty record.

So, two of those schools wound up firing the coach, one coach just completed his 3rd season on the job and one coach was a one year interim head coach. Anyone that feels we should be thankful that we can sometimes win 8 games in a season, great. I don't agree with that.

Those schools are among the very, very best in college football history. They have higher expectations because they've got better accomplishments (not to mention much stronger recruiting bases, where talent is seemingly endless). Iowa doesn't have that history or the recruiting base.

Who said they're happy with sometimes winning 8 games? I think anyone being realistic is happy with anywhere between 7-9 wins in say 5 or 6 years out of 10, with 2-3 10+ win seasons and 1-2 seasons of 6 wins or fewer. That's how it works for programs like Iowa. You can be dissatisfied with it all you want, but nothing's going to change it, short of turning to full-blown dirty recruiting and/or getting a T. Boone/Phil Knight-type superbooster.

tm3308 wrote: "TEXAS had a 4-win season just a few years ago. FLORIDA won 5 games a couple years ago. OHIO STATE went 6-7 in 2011. MICHIGAN won 15 games from 2008-2010."

I would reply to that this way:
Texas: They then forced Mack Brown out 3 seasons later (a coach who had one a national championship with Texas).
Florida: Will Muschamp went 18-8 his first 2 seasons and Florida and 4-8 last season, in his 3rd year (not his 14th season). We will see how much longer he stays at Florida.
O$U: 2011 was the year after Tressle and before Meyer. A career coordinate was an interim coach for one season. That isn't even close to being what happened 2010 through 2012 at Iowa.
UM: Then UM fired Rodriguez for having such a sh*tty record.

So, two of those schools wound up firing the coach, one coach just completed his 3rd season on the job and one coach was a one year interim head coach. Anyone that feels we should be thankful that we can sometimes win 8 games in a season, great. I don't agree with that.

You're scrambling. Just throw the ball away before you get your head taken off man.

What's funny to me is that you have excuses for each one of those "elite" programs for their down years, but when it comes to Iowa you won't listen to excuses as to why they may have had a down year. Iowa had a ton of turnover in the coaching staff whether or not it was the HC. Obviously it set the program back a little bit. No one wanted to accept that at the time, but that's what happened. You prefer to be one of the fans who gets up on his pedestal and tells people their expectations are too low when in reality you are the one who is failing to grasp what reasonable expectations for the U of I football program truly are.

Ferentz has gone above and beyond reasonable expectations several times. Yes, there have certainly been disappointing years, but overall his resume at Iowa would be incredibly difficult for any other coach to match. I'm not sure there are more than a few other coaches out there who could match it. At least not by doing things the right way.

Finally, Iowa is not in the same category as Texas, Florida, OSU, or UM. If you think our expectations should be similar to their expectations then you are delusional.

Those schools are among the very, very best in college football history. They have higher expectations because they've got better accomplishments (not to mention much stronger recruiting bases, where talent is seemingly endless). Iowa doesn't have that history or the recruiting base.

Who said they're happy with sometimes winning 8 games? I think anyone being realistic is happy with anywhere between 7-9 wins in say 5 or 6 years out of 10, with 2-3 10+ win seasons and 1-2 seasons of 6 wins or fewer. That's how it works for programs like Iowa. You can be dissatisfied with it all you want, but nothing's going to change it, short of turning to full-blown dirty recruiting and/or getting a T. Boone/Phil Knight-type superbooster.

Fine. You win. I will become a superbooster.

I think it is the Wisconsin factor that bothers most the fact they have leaped frog Iowa in the big ten pecking order is frustrating. When things fall in line for Wisconsin they seem to take advantage, Iowa more times than not craps the bed. I still think the 2011 and 2012 schedules combined should have yielded more victories than 11. I do not know what the magic number is, but it should have been more than 11.

This thread reminds me of the former OT board.

2519635-crying+indian.gif

You're scrambling. Just throw the ball away before you get your head taken off man.

What's funny to me is that you have excuses for each one of those "elite" programs for their down years, but when it comes to Iowa you won't listen to excuses as to why they may have had a down year. Iowa had a ton of turnover in the coaching staff whether or not it was the HC. Obviously it set the program back a little bit. No one wanted to accept that at the time, but that's what happened. You prefer to be one of the fans who gets up on his pedestal and tells people their expectations are too low when in reality you are the one who is failing to grasp what reasonable expectations for the U of I football program truly are.

Ferentz has gone above and beyond reasonable expectations several times. Yes, there have certainly been disappointing years, but overall his resume at Iowa would be incredibly difficult for any other coach to match. I'm not sure there are more than a few other coaches out there who could match it. At least not by doing things the right way.

Finally, Iowa is not in the same category as Texas, Florida, OSU, or UM. If you think our expectations should be similar to their expectations then you are delusional.

DP: see the bolded part. I didn't make any excuses for anyone. What I did was take the four examples that were used to show that even elite schools have down years and provide the end result. That isn't making an excuse, it is providing a conclusion to the example.

But I will ask you one direct question. Has Iowa football met your expectations since 2010, including the 2010 season? It's a yes or no question, DP.

DP: see the bolded part. I didn't make any excuses for anyone. What I did was take the four examples that were used to show that even elite schools have down years and provide the end result. That isn't making an excuse, it is providing a conclusion to the example.

But I will ask you one direct question. Has Iowa football met your expectations since 2010, including the 2010 season? It's a yes or no question, DP.

For me, 2013 met and even exceeded my expectations as it did with most.

I expect 9+ wins in '14, which is above my usual expectations of 7-8 wins. It makes me nervous.

It's not a yes or no question. You have to consider the individual seasons. You have to consider the team you're talking about, and you have to consider changes to staff and players.

2010 - Outstanding year. Disappointing end to the regular season, but an Orange Bowl victory for Iowa is still a tremendous year. Check

2011 - No

2012 - Absolutely not

2013 - Great turnaround. Somewhat unexpected from my vantage point. I thought they'd get to 6-7 wins. Certainly didn't think they'd reach 8. Check.

So 2 out of those four years Iowa football has met my expectations. In two of them they didn't. One of which involved the biggest coaching turnover in Ferentz's tenure combined with significant depth issues at a couple positions.

Finally, I'm pretty stoked about where the program is positioned right now. I think there's a chance these next couple years could be special, and as an Iowa fan that's about as good as you can ask for without being unrealistic.

Latest posts