Oliver Martin

I think Martin will work himself into the line-up next year. Imagine lining up 5 WR set with Smith, Smith-Marsette, Ragaini, Tracy, and Martin? We have a chance to have the top receiving corps in the B1G next year. With all those guys lined up, just think what a pass to Goodson outta the backfield would accomplish! We also have Beyer and LaPorta returning with Miamen, Lachey and Yelverton in support. So many options to chose from. Maybe Petras or Mansell can give us a more explosive attack. The RB room will also be stocked and experienced. If our O-line can improve, watch out! Oh yeah, Duncan returns as our fail/safe option.

mo, you're guilty of the same enthusiasm i was before this season. i'd advise you to put on a video or 1980's ball control offenses and get used to it.

Fry is a know it all who once again offers zero insight.

The factual statement Martin is the "fifth best receiver" is based on what, exactly? The amount of playing time the omniscient Brian Ferentz bestows on him? Has it not crossed your mind that Brian is not infallible and his call is subjective? Or in Fry's mind, Brian himself was the best offensive coordinator in the country that Iowa could have hired solely because he was hired. Ragaini was clearly the best punt returner of the 85 scholarship athletes on Iowa's roster by virtue of the fact that he started at the position. Goodson was the 3rd best running back all season because he was 3rd on the depth chart up until the last couple of weeks. Yup.

You have no clue how good Martin is because he never sniffed the field. He was good enough to play in key situations in the very first game (literally a couple of days after he was awarded eligibility), had 2 catches and a touchdown. Zero drops. Clearly he was in the mix, and he has done nothing in games to lower his status. What more can a kid do?

What if Martin got the same number of reps this year as Ragaini, a 2 ** recruit with zero power 5 offers? Would he have at least 380 yards like Ragaini? He already had over 100 yards as a freshmen at Michigan, when Ragaini was redshirting at Iowa.

Did Martin have ANY drops this year that would lead you to conclude he's not worth of playing time? Nope. Did Ragaini play so perfectly that it would not make sense to give his backup some reps? Nope. Hell, even Epenesa rested for 15% of Iowa's plays. Did Ragaini do anything that was irreplaceable, playing the position that leads Iowa in receptions every single year, no matter which walk on/low rated recruit gets plugged into the role?

What I don’t understand is why everyone is making such a big deal about our fifth best (maybe even farther down) receiver? You people have seen 5 catches for 28 yards and declaring him wasted talent when in all likelihood he’s just not very good. Why is the fact that he’s a recruiting miss so hard to swallow when misses happen ALL the time.

Hate to burst your bubbles but this kid won’t be playing at Iowa. He’s got four starters coming back in front of him (plus La Porta eating up targets), and there are always some new freshman knocking on the door every year.

He (unwittingly) fucked up his football career going to Michigan and getting lost in the crowd, and now he’s lost in the crowd here. It shouldn’t be a surprise. If he decides to stay in IC he’s going to sit for another year, and there’s no way he bursts into the scene as a senior with zero relevant game experience. If he was good, he’d be playing ball right now.

This happens to literally hundreds of players every year; what is the fetish you guys have with this kid?

Last edited:
I would call this irony but I don't think that's strong enough.
The factual statement Martin is the "fifth best receiver" is based on what, exactly? The amount of playing time the omniscient Brian Ferentz bestows on him? Has it not crossed your mind that Brian is not infallible and his call is subjective? Or in Fry's mind, Brian himself was the best offensive coordinator in the country that Iowa could have hired solely because he was hired. Ragaini was clearly the best punt returner of the 85 scholarship athletes on Iowa's roster by virtue of the fact that he started at the position. Goodson was the 3rd best running back all season because he was 3rd on the depth chart up until the last couple of weeks. Yup.
ISM- 42 rec, 676 yds, 4 TD
Tyrone Tracy- 36 rec, 589 yds, 3 TD
Brandon Smith- 33 rec, 404 yds, 4 TD (in 7 games)
Nico Ragaini- 44 rec, 385 yds, 2 TD

Which one of those guys do you take off the field for a hypothetical?
You have no clue how good Martin is because he never sniffed the field. He played the first game, had 2 catches and a touchdown. Zero drops. What more can a kid do? What if Martin got the same number of reps this year as Ragaini, a 2 ** recruit with zero power 5 offers? Would he have made some big plays or had better stats? More likely than not, yes. Did Martin have ANY drops this year that would lead you to conclude he's not worth of playing time? Did Ragaini have several drops that would warrant giving a hand full of snaps to a backup?
Several false starts and illegal procedures for lining up wrong, for one.

Also, complaining that that Martin deserved Ragaini's snaps is rich coming from you, considering you'd wail and moan as soon as Kirk pulled a freshman for a single drop or mistake.

Last edited:
Why? Nothing screams head case like a guy who continually transfers.

Its not uncommon for players to transfer more than once. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at UNI if he doesn't make a big move up in the spring.

He's still a newbie at Iowa. I think he can still push into the mix but as I said after he transferred when many on this board had a hard-on, he's got a lot of good players ahead of him so he better get after it.

What I don’t understand is why everyone is making such a big deal about our fifth best (maybe even farther down) receiver? You people have seen 5 catches for 28 yards and declaring him wasted talent when in all likelihood he’s just not very good. Why is the fact that he’s a recruiting miss so hard to swallow when misses happen ALL the time.

Hate to burst your bubbles but this kid won’t be playing at Iowa. He’s got four starters coming back in front of him (plus La Porta eating up targets), and there are always some new freshman knocking on the door every year.

He (unwittingly) fucked up his football career going to Michigan and getting lost in the crowd, and now he’s lost in the crowd here. It shouldn’t be a surprise. If he decides to stay in IC he’s going to sit for another year, and there’s no way he bursts into the scene as a senior with zero relevant game experience. If he was good, he’d be playing ball right now.

This happens to literally hundreds of players every year; what is the fetish you guys have with this kid?

Right and somehow he hasn't even cracked into the special teams. If I am a kid that wants to play, I would bust my rear end to at least get out there on special teams.

I think Martin will work himself into the line-up next year. Imagine lining up 5 WR set with Smith, Smith-Marsette, Ragaini, Tracy, and Martin? We have a chance to have the top receiving corps in the B1G next year. With all those guys lined up, just think what a pass to Goodson outta the backfield would accomplish! We also have Beyer and LaPorta returning with Miamen, Lachey and Yelverton in support. So many options to chose from. Maybe Petras or Mansell can give us a more explosive attack. The RB room will also be stocked and experienced. If our O-line can improve, watch out! Oh yeah, Duncan returns as our fail/safe option.

Boy. This summary will really piss off Team Caddy.

The factual statement Martin is the "fifth best receiver" is based on what, exactly?

Well, the fact that he's been on the roster all year and doesn't see the field in any sense is certainly data that suggests that he's not very good.

I’m not one of these guys that consistently worries about Martin, as you said he’s at best our 5th option at this point.

With that said I’m not nearly as doom and gloom on his talent as you might be. He hasn’t been in the system as long as the others and he did have some injuries. He didn’t prove enough in practice to play much this year.

I would not be surprised to see him work his way into the rotation next year. I think he’s a little more of a twitchy athlete than Ragaini. He can still do some nice things at Iowa, but yes there is definitely a certain portion of this fan base who just can’t wrap there heads around the fact that he just might not be as good as they built him up to be. It’s annoying but not surprising really.

Not to mention, he didn't even get to campus until officially, summer camp. Not sure why people expected he would light it up immediately.

Not to mention, he didn't even get to campus until officially, summer camp. Not sure why people expected he would light it up immediately.
What I think really got everyone hot and bothered was how BF put him in early and he scored that TD he had. I mean if he hadn't hardly played even then till now it'd be one thing. But it was like they purposely had a package for him in the redzone and then NEVER went back to putting him in hardly. That is what is headscratching and the coaches did that to themselves if you ask me. I understand and a lot of fans do too. But there's a bunch that would not be able to make heads or tails of it.

Brian's comments a couple of years ago implied to me that Martin was out of his and Kirk's circle of trust. I just saw Tracy drop two passes, one that bounced off his hands and the other that went right through them. Ragaini has had drops as well. I think those guys are good receivers, don't get me wrong, but are Martin's hands worse than those guys'?

Still not convinced this isn't partially at least about "loyalty".

Brian's comments a couple of years ago implied to me that Martin was out of his and Kirk's circle of trust. I just saw Tracy drop two passes, one that bounced off his hands and the other that went right through them. Ragaini has had drops as well. I think those guys are good receivers, don't get me wrong, but are Martin's hands worse than those guys'?

Still not convinced this isn't partially at least about "loyalty".

If it was about "loyalty" he wouldn't have transferred to Iowa. o_O

I, for one, just hoped that Martin would do well. Still do. It would be nice to see what seems like a good local kid do well.

Why? Nothing screams head case like a guy who continually transfers.
He’s better than some of the receivers that were ran out there but at iowa, many of us know they are in over their heads when it comes to the skill guys. Goodson is just one in a long line of examples. Martin is very likely another. I guarantee he has better hands than some we run out there. But the ferentz’ have their way. I was shocked when he chose here and predicted immediately he’d never play and couldn’t have been more correct

offensive-coordinator-brian-ferentz-of-the-iowa-hawkeyes-during-the-picture-id1045225134
The ferentz boys were mad fant decided to leave without conferring with their nfl wisdom first so they put him on in season probation which means the djk treatment. Classy duo unless you cross them up

There is an obvious emphasis on playmaking talent with the staff. Regardless of what the depth chart says, LaPorta pretty much jumped 3 upperclassmen tight ends to get to the 1 line. Goodson definitely passed 3 juniors to get to the 1 line. Tracy is on the 1 line. All freshmen. Add in ISM and B Smith who have both shown unique playmaking skills they are going to play. Nico is probably the only receiver on the block, but he also shows some quickness and toughness, although I wish his hands were better.

For OM to play, he needs to show something unique that would make him a matchup problem. If he had that, I promise he would have been playing. But as much as we don't know how good OM is, we know we haven't seen anything to show that he is unique regardless of how many stars he has.

And nobody should be upset by all of this because all of us fans have been begging for some playmakers. And now that we have them and older players are getting beat out because of it should be a positive. Because you know the one thing we need more than anything else in order to take the next step? You got it, playmakers.

Of course you have to know how to use them but that is a totally different conversation. lol.

I don't think he's going anywhere. He's a local kid back home, unless he decides to go to UNI or something.
Yeah, UNI crossed my mind as well. It's weird because he played at Michigan and I think he was the #3 guy there? Hard to believe he can barley see the field at Iowa

Latest posts