Oliver Martin

Pettway for ISU didn't show up until summer camp either and has 51 receptions for 622 yards and 6 TD's. Why wouldn't he at least be able to contribute?

Cool. My brothers, wife, sister's husband didn't show up to Thanksgiving back yard pickup tackle game until 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and was able to take 5 nerf footballs off his face. I don't see how he wasn't able to contribute to the endzone! I instead had to punchasize his face.

JFC shut up

Start counting to 11. If you have the 4 wideout set you are talking about and 5 linemen and a QB then there aint room for Goodson on the field. But I know what you are saying.
I know you can’t have 5 wideouts with a RB, that is known as an empty set. But you can have 3 WR’s and a TE going downfield and throw to Goodson on a swing pass coming out of the backfield. Especially if the receivers draw the DB’s away from that side of the field and block for him. With his speed and juking ability, it could be a big gainer.

It’s always a possibility(God forbid) that one or two of our WR’s is going to get dinged up during the season. Shit happens. Martin will see the field next year regardless. He’s too talented to keep off of the field. He may surpass someone if they’re not bringing their “A” game.

Pettway for ISU didn't show up until summer camp either and has 51 receptions for 622 yards and 6 TD's. Why wouldn't he at least be able to contribute?

Iowa's offense is a lot harder to learn than ISU's. Iowa's offense is harder to learn than some NFL offenses. I'm not convinced Brian and Polasek know it.

How many other receivers contributed? OM was behind, at a minimum, B Smith, ISM, Tracy and Ragaini. Who else did ISU have? Not that it's even germane to the Iowa conversation/situation.

Not to mention, OM showed up at a team that is 9-3. ISU is 7-5. Maybe Iowa's lineup is a little harder to crack...

How many other receivers contributed? OM was behind, at a minimum, B Smith, ISM, Tracy and Ragaini. Who else did ISU have? Not that it's even germane to the Iowa conversation/situation.

Not to mention, OM showed up at a team that is 9-3. ISU is 7-5. Maybe Iowa's lineup is a little harder to crack...

No, ISU has Jones and that was it really. I mean Milton, but meh. I mean for a team that throws it as much as ISU only have 33 catches kind of shows what he was

Martin will see the field next year regardless. He’s too talented to keep off of the field. He may surpass someone if they’re not bringing their “A” game.
What are you basing that off of? High school film? Or 28 total yards on 5 catches?

Honest question.

In theory when Brandon Smith got hurt, OM should have been in line for some more snaps. But Laporta emerged as a legit receiving TE threat about the same time and we know how Iowa likes to involve the TEs in the passing game.

The one thing that OM has going for him is that he has one more year of eligibility than ISM and Brandon Smith who are our two best WRs. Tracey is also really good but had some issues with drops that hurt.

JFC, some of you guys are so stupid it's incredible.
dean.png

I mentioned this in one of the other 100 threads on Martin, but I have a feeling that there is something going on here that transcends football.

My gut says that he may be dealing with some personal issues, perhaps depression or something along those lines. If so, that very well may have provided the impetus for him to leave Michigan in the first place, then slowed his transition to playing time here.

It's not unprecedented for kids his age to struggle with these issues after major life changes, including going to college, new community, etc. The staff has been quite vague when answering questions about him, which is another potential indication.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out, but, if any of this is the case, I hope he does what's right for him and his health and wish him the best.

I know you can’t have 5 wideouts with a RB, that is known as an empty set. But you can have 3 WR’s and a TE going downfield and throw to Goodson on a swing pass coming out of the backfield. Especially if the receivers draw the DB’s away from that side of the field and block for him. With his speed and juking ability, it could be a big gainer.
You can have 5 wide with an RB. Not all of them can go out for passes though or be eligible. Hell line somebody up in the slot on both sides, one on the line and one off, then instead of motioning just swap them so one is no longer eligible and the other one is. Could make some pretty fun plays with a formation like that!

I mentioned this in one of the other 100 threads on Martin, but I have a feeling that there is something going on here that transcends football.

My gut says that he may be dealing with some personal issues, perhaps depression or something along those lines. If so, that very well may have provided the impetus for him to leave Michigan in the first place, then slowed his transition to playing time here.

It's not unprecedented for kids his age to struggle with these issues after major life changes, including going to college, new community, etc. The staff has been quite vague when answering questions about him, which is another potential indication.

It will be interesting to see how all this plays out, but, if any of this is the case, I hope he does what's right for him and his health and wish him the best.
He's not having personal issues, other than not seeing the field. At the very least, after the game where Ragaini dropped 4 or 5 balls, Martin should have played more.

We did this more than a few times this season; not necessarily passing to the RB but the 3 WR + 1 TE set. Of course, two of the WRs had to line up in the backfield in order to have all three WRs and the TE as eligible receivers able to go downfield.

He's not having personal issues, other than not seeing the field. At the very least, after the game where Ragaini dropped 4 or 5 balls, Martin should have played more.
Curious. How do you know this? Do you know him personally?

Curious. How do you know this? Do you know him personally?
You stole my question.

He was granted immediate eligibility. Its possible that was due to some sort of depression. Mental illness isn't something to take lightly.

Also one of Ragaini's drops was actually a catch. He led the team in catches but was essentially the 4th WR.

Cool. My brothers, wife, sister's husband didn't show up to Thanksgiving back yard pickup tackle game until 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and was able to take 5 nerf footballs off his face. I don't see how he wasn't able to contribute to the endzone! I instead had to punchasize his face.

JFC shut up

ISU didn't have the talent ahead of him. Simple.

Actually he did get hurt during the season and was out and was never stated what it was. So maybe there is something to that. I just don't understand why he was not on kickoff team or something like that when Max Cooper is out there covering kick offs.

Latest posts