Oliver Martin Eligible

This guy is better than Ted Ginn times 10. He's more like Randy Moss plus Jerry Rice plus Megatron plus AJ Green plus Wes Welker (high football IQ) wrapped into one. I'll be surprised if any team not named Michigan can stay within 3 TDs of us this year.

This will help fill the void of two NFL tight ends gone. Great news for Hawkeyeland!!!

I think we should just keep saying "boy guess the rumors were right" until Rob shuts the whole site down.

They were NOT rumors, it was a fact that the NCAA granted him immediate eligibility. Just needed the B1G to rubber stamp it from there.

Maybe @RobHowe will explain why he made such a stink about people posting things that were absolutely true. It really isn't journalists job to "scoop" things now. I mean with social media the way it is, respected guys are never gonna have corroborated sources ready to go before someone spills the beans. Rob was only ever going to report that Martin was cleared to play when the UofI department released the info. That is just the way it is when you are a responsible reporter @RobHowe

mito.jpg

:cool:

The Big Ten needed to clear him as it was an in-conference transfer. He was not ruled eligible to play this season until this morning.

Right, but if Lestikow had already learned on Friday that the NCAA had approved Martin, then there was clearly legs to some of the rumors percolating. Big difference between that and bad information. Not a huge deal - I get why folks don't want to jump the gun in reporting. But things were in motion by Friday.

The Big Ten needed to clear him as it was an in-conference transfer. He was not ruled eligible to play this season until this morning.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of grounds would the BIG 10 have or what would they look at to determine if or is not eligible, especially after the NCAA rules a player eligible? Would it be an odd case for the NCAA to rule in favor of a player but a conference rule against?

I wonder what the BIG 10 weighed the most when looking at the case.

Huck Finn was right! I had no idea he was eligible until the story broke today. Really happy for this young man and the Hawkeye football team.

But seriously, forget the Big Ten. How is it possible that the NCAA approved this waiver? What was the argument that the lawyers used to get it approved?

From everything I have heard, Martin did not any legitimate reasons for being granted a waiver.

Michigan changed coaches and systems on offense. I think that's what got him the waiver. There may also be circumstances we don't know about to.

How is it possible that the NCAA approved this waiver? What was the argument that the lawyers used to get it approved?

From everything I have heard, Martin did not have any legitimate reasons for being granted a waiver.

We really need the dislike button again for posts like this.

Probably the sheer lack of competitiveness among the West vis a vis the East. The West is 0-5 and it really makes the conference look almost as laughable as the acc.
As I mentioned in another post also, the fact that Kirk did not fight the Ruddock transfer to Michigan probably helped also. Harbaugh, Michigan or the B1G fighting this one could have been seen as a double standard.

Michigan changed coaches and systems on offense. I think that's what got him the waiver. There may also be circumstances we don't know about to.

I honestly think the NCAA didn't want a barrage of emails from Iowa fans...we have a long memory about the Trials and Tribulations of Drew Ott and the absolute screwing of a college athlete for no apparent reason.

My only hope for this season is that Oliver Martin goes into the big house and catches a last minute pass to secure the win. It would rival the look on Harbaugh's face when his punter dropped the snap against Michigan State...and well...you know.

How is it possible that the NCAA approved this waiver? What was the argument that the lawyers used to get it approved?

From everything I have heard, Martin did not have any legitimate reasons for being granted a waiver.

How is it possible? The NCAA checked the box that said "waiver approved".
What was the argument? It's really none of your business.
Well, obviously you heard wrong....not a big surprise.

Latest posts