Olaseni is visiting

Wrong. The NBA and the NFL couldn't be more different. The NBA is a league where stars win. The NFL is a league where teams win. NBA teams are looking for potential stars. NFL teams are looking for guys that can be a good fit on their team.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

The NBA and NFL are markedly different in this regard. And little brother clone in Lames shouldn't for a second attempt to compare the City Councilman to Kirk Ferentz. We're talking about Kirk freaking Ferentz, not some guy who had to hire a coach so he would know how to run a practice. Kirk Ferentz is a trusted brand. Fred Hoiberg is a nice guy with a charming smile that hasn't proved anything.

The NFL wants Kirk Ferentz's players because they know the players will know the fundamentals, work hard, likely overachieve and play as part of a team. (This is part of the reason Ferentz did not jive with DJK, obviously, as DJK somewhat soiled the Ferentz brand . . . although I still loved me some DJK.) Nobody has any idea what kind of player Hoiberg will produce.

Meanwhile, Fred not only played in the modern NBA but it was actually his job to evaluate players for an NBA franchise. Again, showing players a path to the pros is not all it takes to recruit good players, but it definitely helps, and it's a card that Fran just does not have in his deck.

So because Hoiberg, a white 3 point shooting bench player, played in the NBA what 6+ years ago, he is going to land better recruits? How about because ISU makes going to class optional and is a clearinghouse for castaways similar to KSU, OSU and basically all the big 12. I can guarantee you that 9 out of 10 high school and college kids have never heard of Hoiberg from his NBA days. As far has time with the T Wolves, he certainly did them a lot of good. They are BRUTAL. He willmake a living being a sanctuary program for misfits period.

What's funny about this subject of NBA this or that is that Iowa has a guy on their staff that like Fred played a good number of years in the NBA and was one of the more respected players by coaches and GM's around the league. His name? Ryan Bowen. Trust me, Ryan Bowen has connections as well. He's just not the head coach at Iowa, but is on staff.

Good point, but in reality, no 18 year old kid outside of Iowa has ever heard of Bowen or Hoiberg. It's not like these kids grew up with posters or trading cards of these guys. If you aren't LeBron, Howard, DWade, etc., you aren't on the radar. It's like the McDonald's commercial with LeBron and Howard where Bird eats their lunch and they ask "who is that?" I highly doubt anyone on our current roster not from Iowa ever heard of Bowen or knew he played in the NBA. It's like referencing Matt Harpring or Luc Longley.

Seriously, this thread has gotten way off course. Idiots like PPierce and LonoClone need to **** off and go back to CF. If you're not going to add anything relevant to the conversation then don't bother posting. Seeing as how you are Cyclone fans we already assume you hate Iowa and enjoy bashing their program. Go to CF and do that. Why would you hijack this thread and do it here? You guys are morons. Perhaps I'll make a handle "JBerryman" and go post on CF about how much Cyclone football sucks, and how there is no hope for the future (much like you are doing in this thread about Iowa bball) despite evidence to the contrary. You 2 really need to get a life. You're pathetic.

Good point, but in reality, no 18 year old kid outside of Iowa has ever heard of Bowen or Hoiberg. It's not like these kids grew up with posters or trading cards of these guys. If you aren't LeBron, Howard, DWade, etc., you aren't on the radar. It's like the McDonald's commercial with LeBron and Howard where Bird eats their lunch and they ask "who is that?" I highly doubt anyone on our current roster not from Iowa ever heard of Bowen or knew he played in the NBA. It's like referencing Matt Harpring or Luc Longley.

This. Even superstars fall of the radar eventually. When my dad started coaching the high school baseball team when I was in 8th grade, he asked how many players knew who Willie Mays was (this was in 2004). One player raised his hand. Reggie Jackson? Same single player raised his hand. George Brett? One again.

And no, that player wasn't me (I wasn't on the team, but I did know who all of those guys were. They were no-brainers to me and the one player.). But it seems like many in my generation really don't know what they're missing.

The only way recruits that will remember who Hoiberg is/was would be if they are Bulls or T-Wolves fans. Same goes for Bowen. Nobody remembers the role players for long. That doesn't mean Fred can't sell it if he reminds them. But there's no instant recall just on the names.

Oh yeah? I didn't realize that a team's video coordinator/administrative assistant was that heavily involved in recruiting. :rolleyes:

Iowa must be trendsetters in that regard. I'm sure he's on phone with all kinds of NBA execs when he's not splicing together practice tape or getting coffee for the rest of the staff.

Because I'm suuuure that Hoiberg is placing calls to NBA execs while he is on recruiting trips, having them speak to perspective recruits.

Anyway, back to Olaseni, this guy would be huge for Iowa to get. Another long armed, big time athlete for Fran's system.

That kind of work record qualifies him for your head coaching job.

What qualifications does it take to beat such an unqualified coach on your own home court?

Yes, that's as absurd as most of this thread which has derailed.

What qualifications does it take to beat such an unqualified coach on your own home court?

Yes, that's as absurd as most of this thread which has derailed.
Really sad that your amount of posts' on here, a Hawkeye site are well above mine. Is this really all you have to do in Ames is sit on your comouter and troll Hawkeye a site. You and your friends need to understand that coming on a rivals board that your going to have people not agreeing with you. I'm sure if you stayed on the ISU sites that most everyone would agree with you, but you would rathar squabble like a teenage girl. You stating what you did about ISU beating Iowa on our home floor just proves that ISU fans would rathar beat Iowa once a year in FB, BB or wrestling than actually have a winning program.

This. Even superstars fall of the radar eventually. When my dad started coaching the high school baseball team when I was in 8th grade, he asked how many players knew who Willie Mays was (this was in 2004). One player raised his hand. Reggie Jackson? Same single player raised his hand. George Brett? One again.

And no, that player wasn't me (I wasn't on the team, but I did know who all of those guys were. They were no-brainers to me and the one player.). But it seems like many in my generation really don't know what they're missing.

The only way recruits that will remember who Hoiberg is/was would be if they are Bulls or T-Wolves fans. Same goes for Bowen. Nobody remembers the role players for long. That doesn't mean Fred can't sell it if he reminds them. But there's no instant recall just on the names.

Wow. That's bad. You shouldn't be qualified to play high school baseball if you can't say who Mays, Jackson or Brett were.

I'm just graduating from college and I can barely remember Hoiberg at ISU and in the NBA. I'm sure that many of the incoming recruits don't remember him as a player, rather he is selling his administrative work within the TWolves organization.

Wow. That's bad. You shouldn't be qualified to play high school baseball if you can't say who Mays, Jackson or Brett were.

I'm just graduating from college and I can barely remember Hoiberg at ISU and in the NBA. I'm sure that many of the incoming recruits don't remember him as a player, rather he is selling his administrative work within the TWolves organization.

Let's talk about that adminstrative work with the TWolves. I'll start...

-Why was KG traded for a ham sandwich?
-Why are the TWolves bad year after year after year?

I love how everyone thinks Iowa is head and shoulders above ISU. I'm an Iowa fan but come on, be real. Iowa and Iowa State are very comparable right now, except ISU will be a lot better than Iowa next year.

You say Hilton is aging, so is Carver (and the renovations aren't going to make it amazing)
You say Ames is a bad town, I'm sorry but Iowa City isn't anything special, I grew up near there and with the recent express tunnel of low income Chicagoans, IC is not a place I would ever consider living, though Ames I would.

I don't really see how you can compare Iowa and ISU's campus, both are very nice, but very different. I would say Iowa has more of the college appeal so you have me there, but to say you have no idea how kid's possibly choose ISU, but Iowa is an obvioulsy better choice is ridiculous in my eyes.

Agree 100 percent with your post. I am a die-hard Hawk fan but graduated from ISU and lived in Ames for five years. Hilton is older than CHA but it is still a nice arena ... A high school kid would be for the better attending either school and living in either city.

Latest posts