Olaseni is visiting

The entire assumption on your part is absurd. NBA players are largely recruited, not created.

The idea that Hoiberg has some special NBA key he can give to potential players is absurd, borderline insane.

This entire thread is borderline insane and just dumb.

Well, what has Fran ever done to show that he does know what it takes to play in the NBA? The closest Fran has come to NBA talent is a scrub who never played a single minute in the league. What advice can he give? Maybe he can teach them the Euro to dollar conversion rate, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, Fred not only played in the modern NBA but it was actually his job to evaluate players for an NBA franchise. Again, showing players a path to the pros is not all it takes to recruit good players, but it definitely helps, and it's a card that Fran just does not have in his deck.

As far as rebuilding programs goes, that's great. Fran had some success with small schools. But do you think your average high major recruit gives a crap about the success he had at UNC-Greensboro or Siena? They might as well be high schools. High major basketball is an entirely different animal, evidenced by the tenure's of Lick and G-Mac.

You're clueless. You think an NBA GM like Danny Ainge gives a damn if a player is connected to Fred Hoiberg? Hell, no! It takes talent to play in the NBA, not connections. It's the NBA, not Wells Fargo.

That being said, Ainge owes Hoiberg a big thank you for gift wrapping KG and an NBA Championship to the Celtics. Thanks for trading one of the top 50 players in NBA history for a pile of crap, Fred!

The entire assumption on your part is absurd. NBA players are largely recruited, not created.

If you are good enough to play in the NBA, the NBA will find you. Outside of Bobby Knight and Landon Turner, a players draft stock is determined by genetics. The NBA would rather select a poorly coached, raw, young athlete, than a polished well-coached senior with limited athleticism. This isn't football, player development is important in building a program, but it isn't as important in making it to the next level. The NBA is such a specific league in what they are looking for in body type and athletic ability.

The idea that Hoiberg has some special NBA key he can give to potential players is absurd, borderline insane.

If coaching doesn't matter, then why do two-thirds of the first round NBA picks in the last 6 years come from power-6 conference schools? Shouldn't those players be more spread out amongst all 300+ D1 schools if the NBA will find them, as you said?

And i agree that it's ridiculous to say that Fred has a "special NBA key." That's not what I said at all. What I'm saying is the ability to sell a path to the NBA is a powerful recruiting tool with high major talent, and at this point Fred has better ammo in pitching that argument than Fran has.

You're clueless. You think an NBA GM like Danny Ainge gives a damn if a player is connected to Fred Hoiberg? Hell, no! It takes talent to play in the NBA, not connections. It's the NBA, not Wells Fargo.

That being said, Ainge owes Hoiberg a big thank you for gift wrapping KG and an NBA Championship to the Celtics. Thanks for trading one of the top 50 players in NBA history for a pile of crap, Fred!

You're missing the point. I'm not saying that Hoiberg can go out there and say, "If you come to ISU, I can mold you into an NBA talent because I know NBA execs."
What he can say is, "It was my job to evaluate NBA potential, and I can see that you have NBA potential. If you come to ISU, with my connections, I can give you exposure to NBA execs that you wouldn't get at other schools, like Iowa."

Look at Diante for an example. Prior to this year, below average Big 12 guard. 1 year with Fred and NBA scouts are attending games to watch him. That's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
"If coaching doesn't matter, then why do two-thirds of the first round NBA picks in the last 6 years come from power-6 conference schools? Shouldn't those players be more spread out amongst all 300+ D1 schools if the NBA will find them, as you said?"

Because players with NBA type talent commit to schools like Kansas and Kentucky. Are you really this stupid? There are less questions marks with basketball recruiting, top talents gets properly identified and those players go to power schools.

"If coaching doesn't matter, then why do two-thirds of the first round NBA picks in the last 6 years come from power-6 conference schools? Shouldn't those players be more spread out amongst all 300+ D1 schools if the NBA will find them, as you said?"

Because players with NBA type talent commit to schools like Kansas and Kentucky. Are you really this stupid? There are less questions marks with basketball recruiting, top talents gets properly identified and those players do to power schools.

but why? If coaching doesn't matter and the NBA will find them like you said, then why does it matter what school they go to?

It's because those schools have a track record of getting guys to the NBA. going to Kentucky provides NBA exposure to these guys. They provide a path to the pros, something that Fred can do better than Fran at this point. he's nowhere near the same league as guys like Bill Self, Roy Williams, John Callipari, etc. but he still can sell the path. Who knows if he will going forward? He might flop and it will all come crashing down, but for now it's one of his biggest strengths

Last edited:
WTF are saying? Are you suggesting that the NBA passes up on potential NBA players based on what school they attended?

Good players go to power conference teams because they want to win.

I'm a five star kid, I go to North Carolina because I want a chance to win a NC and I want the attention and spotlight that goes along with it. I get drafted, not because Roy Williams has coached multiple NBA players, but because I have the skills and body NBA teams are looking for.

It really is that simple.

WTF are saying? Are you suggesting that the NBA passes up on potential NBA players based on what school they attended?

Good players go to power conference teams because they want to win.

I'm a five star kid, I go to North Carolina because I want a chance to win a NC and I want the attention and spotlight that goes along with it. I get drafted, not because Roy Williams has coached multiple NBA players, but because I have the skills and body NBA teams are looking for.

It really is that simple.

Kids absolutely go to North Carolina because Roy has coached multiple NBA players. If you don't believe that, you're ignorant. There are other reasons as well, but you a path to the pros is definitely one of them

Absolutely kids do that, but mostly because kids are dumb.

Name one player drafted under Roy Williams or at UNC that would not have been drafted under any coach?

Name one player drafted under Roy Williams or at UNC that would not have been drafted under any coach?

That is what clone is getting at!

He is not saying ISU is going to get Harrison Barnes because Fred is coaching. I think he is saying they might get a very good 4 star player who never makes it to the NBA but is a very good college player and dumb enough to think he is an NBA player. He is saying ISU might get this type of palyer because maybe UK, DUKE, UNC, Kansas pass on him but then he looks at ISU because he thinks maybe Fred has connections. Hell Fred can't help you if you don't have NBA talent, but if you have some talent maybe Fred can entice a scout he knows to at least come watch you play.

Who knows.

I don't know why this thread has gotten this long. Clone has been more than civil, it's some ******* Iowa fans wh are making this more than it needs to be.

Who cares if they're dumb? Of course they're dumb. If you want an argument on the decision making of 17-18 year old males, you're not going to get it out of me. I'm pretty sure some college coaches count on them being dumb. But, that doesn't invalidate the fact that they make decisions based on stuff like which coach they believe can get them to the pros the best.

That is what clone is getting at!

He is not saying ISU is going to get Harrison Barnes because Fred is coaching. I think he is saying they might get a very good 4 star player who never makes it to the NBA but is a very good college player and dumb enough to think he is an NBA player. He is saying ISU might get this type of palyer because maybe UK, DUKE, UNC, Kansas pass on him but then he looks at ISU because he thinks maybe Fred has connections. Hell Fred can't help you if you don't have NBA talent, but if you have some talent maybe Fred can entice a scout he knows to at least come watch you play.

Who knows.

I don't know why this thread has gotten this long. Clone has been more than civil, it's some ******* Iowa fans wh are making this more than it needs to be.

thank you, this is the exact point I am trying to make. I didn't choose my words as well as you did, though.

I was simply stating that playing for Hoiberg gives a player no better chance at playing in the NBA than playing for any other coach.

I have no doubt Hoiberg will try to lie to the kids and convince dumb 17 year-olds that he offers a path to NBA greatness.

I also doubt he will have a problem preying on dumb kids.

So I guess we agree.

I was simply stating that playing for Hoiberg gives a player no better chance at playing in the NBA than playing for any other coach.

I have no doubt Hoiberg will try to lie to the kids and convince dumb 17 year-olds that he offers a path to NBA greatness.

So I guess we agree.

It's pretty obvious he'll tell these kids anything. After all, he played the Kevin Love card with this New Hampshire kid. It's pathetic, manipulative and unethical.

Last edited:

So I guess we agree.

and whether or not that is true has absolutely no bearing on his ability to sell that to a recruit at this point, because all that matters is if the recruit believes it. If guys like Chris Allen and Royce White end up getting drafted, it will add additional credibility to the pitch. If they flop, he'll lose credibility. time will tell.

and whether or not that is true has absolutely no bearing on his ability to sell that to a recruit at this point, because all that matters is if the recruit believes it. If guys like Chris Allen and Royce White end up getting drafted, it will add additional credibility to the pitch. If they flop, he'll lose credibility. time will tell.

so it's more about selling it to a recruit than it being true? isn't that lying?

It's pretty obvious he'll tell these kids anything. After all, he played the Kevin Love card with this New Hampshire kid. It's pathetic, manipulative and unethical.

oh please, welcome to college basketball recruiting. First off, there are no angels, and if you believe that there are, your head is in the sand. Second, if you think telling a recruit he reminds you of Kevin Love is pathetic, manipulative and unethical, then your head would explode if you came within 10 feet of Scott Drew.

Latest posts