Olaseni is visiting

It's pretty obvious he'll tell these kids anything. After all, he played the Kevin Love card with this New Hampshire kid. It's pathetic, manipulative and unethical.

I'll take the Kevin Love card over the taking a kid up to the suites to meet with Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore card.

If coaching doesn't matter, then why do two-thirds of the first round NBA picks in the last 6 years come from power-6 conference schools?
Because 2/3 of the first round NBA talent committed to play basketball for power-6 conference schools. They're the power-6 conference schools for a reason.

If you come to ISU, with my connections, I can give you exposure to NBA execs that you wouldn't get at other schools, like Iowa.
That is patently ridiculous.

Hollins from Minnesota is projected as a 1st round talent in the NBA after his senior year. Can someone tell me what he has done aside from blow momentum changing dunks while attempting to make them look cool? Sure he's got good leaping ability, but he's not a great team player

oh please, welcome to college basketball recruiting. First off, there are no angels, and if you believe that there are, your head is in the sand. Second, if you think telling a recruit he reminds you of Kevin Love is pathetic, manipulative and unethical, then your head would explode if you came within 10 feet of Scott Drew.

Nice to see clone fans are using Scott Drew as the measuring stick.

Nice to see clone fans are using Scott Drew as the measuring stick.

Nice to see your head is still in the sand. If you want to be naive about the way recruiting works and pretend that coaches don't sell their programs by playing to the egos of their recruits, that's fine. I'm sure you, Greg McDermott, and Todd Lickliter will be very happy together.

I was simply stating that playing for Hoiberg gives a player no better chance at playing in the NBA than playing for any other coach.

I have no doubt Hoiberg will try to lie to the kids and convince dumb 17 year-olds that he offers a path to NBA greatness.

I also doubt he will have a problem preying on dumb kids.

So I guess we agree.

Playing for Fred does give you a greater chance to be in the NBA, IMO. Any superstar kid is going to be drafted, no matter who he played for. However, if you have a mid-tier talent (Garrett for example), I would say a GM is going to trust what a guy who has been in the NBA has to say.

I'm not arguing the top-tier talent. Its the mid-tier talent that makes it to the NBA when coaches have connections.

Playing for Fred does give you a greater chance to be in the NBA, IMO. Any superstar kid is going to be drafted, no matter who he played for. However, if you have a mid-tier talent (Garrett for example), I would say a GM is going to trust what a guy who has been in the NBA has to say.

I'm not arguing the top-tier talent. Its the mid-tier talent that makes it to the NBA when coaches have connections.

As much as I don't want to agree with the Clone on this one, I have to. It is the same way in football. That is why NFL teams are willing to take a gamble on someone who has played under KF because they know they are going to get someone who is fundamentally sound, and was well taught. I don't know how much of an advantage it is for Fred right now, because he has to prove himself as a coach first, but down the road it could be helpful for them. Personally, I still like Fran more than Fred because I like the style of basketball he wants to play, and I like how he isn't afraid to light a fire under his players @$$ to get them to play better.

First of all ISU is called little sister for a reason. Kids choose colleges for many reasons, but that being said. Nobody is picking ISU because they have a better basketball program, they have a better coach, they have a better town, they have a better football program, or a better school.

If you ask 100 bball recruits they had their choice of schools I would be willing to bet Iowa wins 75% of that vote. That being said "The ambulance chaser" might make great connections with some kids and sway them to ISU, but he has his work cut out for him recruiting at ISU.

First of all ISU is called little sister for a reason. Kids choose colleges for many reasons, but that being said. Nobody is picking ISU because they have a better basketball program, they have a better coach, they have a better town, they have a better football program, or a better school.

If you ask 100 bball recruits they had their choice of schools I would be willing to bet Iowa wins 75% of that vote. That being said "The ambulance chaser" might make great connections with some kids and sway them to ISU, but he has his work cut out for him recruiting at ISU.

You keep telling yourself that. Hubris is a *****.

LOL. Dream on.

As much as I don't want to agree with the Clone on this one, I have to. It is the same way in football. That is why NFL teams are willing to take a gamble on someone who has played under KF because they know they are going to get someone who is fundamentally sound, and was well taught. I don't know how much of an advantage it is for Fred right now, because he has to prove himself as a coach first, but down the road it could be helpful for them. Personally, I still like Fran more than Fred because I like the style of basketball he wants to play, and I like how he isn't afraid to light a fire under his players @$$ to get them to play better.

Wrong. The NBA and the NFL couldn't be more different. The NBA is a league where stars win. The NFL is a league where teams win. NBA teams are looking for potential stars. NFL teams are looking for guys that can be a good fit on their team.

Seriously, is anyone ACTUALLY stupid enough to think that "connections" matter to an NBA GM? This is the NBA, not getting an internship and your dad's buddy's law firm. A connection might get you an invite to camp as an undrafted free agent, but it ain't getting you a roster spot if you're not good enough to hold it down regardless of who your college coach has on speed dial.

Seriously, is anyone ACTUALLY stupid enough to think that "connections" matter to an NBA GM? This is the NBA, not getting an internship and your dad's buddy's law firm. A connection might get you an invite to camp as an undrafted free agent, but it ain't getting you a roster spot if you're not good enough to hold it down regardless of who your college coach has on speed dial.

Nobody in this thread has made a statement even remotely disagreeing with that. You must have been reading another thread. Thanks for your comment though, as ill informed and out of place as it might be.:eek:

Wrong. The NBA and the NFL couldn't be more different. The NBA is a league where stars win. The NFL is a league where teams win. NBA teams are looking for potential stars. NFL teams are looking for guys that can be a good fit on their team.

Signed,

Kyle Korver
Kendrick Perkins
Delonte West
Rodrigue Beaubois
Nene
Derek Fisher
Udonis Haslem
Hedu Turkoglu
Nenad Cristic
Antonio McDyess

Those guys are all where they are because they play specific roles for their teams. Several were first round picks, but their careers haven't been first round material. They've stuck because they fill important roles for their teams.

What's funny about this subject of NBA this or that is that Iowa has a guy on their staff that like Fred played a good number of years in the NBA and was one of the more respected players by coaches and GM's around the league. His name? Ryan Bowen. Trust me, Ryan Bowen has connections as well. He's just not the head coach at Iowa, but is on staff.

What's funny about this subject of NBA this or that is that Iowa has a guy on their staff that like Fred played a good number of years in the NBA and was one of the more respected players by coaches and GM's around the league. His name? Ryan Bowen. Trust me, Ryan Bowen has connections as well. He's just not the head coach at Iowa, but is on staff.

Oh yeah? I didn't realize that a team's video coordinator/administrative assistant was that heavily involved in recruiting. :rolleyes:

Iowa must be trendsetters in that regard. I'm sure he's on phone with all kinds of NBA execs when he's not splicing together practice tape or getting coffee for the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
Oh yeah? I didn't realize that a team's video coordinator/administrative assistant was that heavily involved in recruiting. :rolleyes:

Iowa must be trendsetters in that regard. I'm sure he's on phone with all kinds of NBA execs when he's not splicing together practice tape or getting coffee for the rest of the staff.

That kind of work record qualifies him for your head coaching job.

You're right, experience is everything. Hell, if Fran had racked up another 50-100 wins at (insert directional school) Iowa may have cracked the 12 win barrier this season.

Honestly, all of this bashing on Hoiberg being a part of the NBA for as long as he was is nothing but sour grapes. I'm sure it won't stop until Iowa gets pounded by 20 points next season at the Hilton, which unfortunately means there will be 9 more months of this.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Bowen's skill set qualifies him for a lot bigger gigs than that. He types 85 words per minute, picks up Fran's dry cleaning, and has a real knack for dealing with annoying salesmen and telemarketers. Plus, how many secretaries can say they averaged just over a field goal per game in the NBA? Forget Hoiberg. He should replace Pollard.

Latest posts