Olaseni is visiting

And I'm sure ISU recruits know every front office person in the NBA to? You think they are like "man Freddy Hoiberg is recruiting me, he once worked in the front office in the NBA, all be it in one of the worst franchises in the NBA but hey he still worked there"? Both programs have good selling points as of right now. Fran can offer an open competition for minutes for maybe up to 3 spots. Fran also has a history in college BB and can tell his stories of recruiting, coaching, winning, losing, how he develops a family atmosphere inside the program.............all of which Freddy can't do. I get that both coaches have their selling points but do not sell Fran short!!

That's not what I'm saying at all. Making sure they see a path to the pros is something that is vital to the recruitment of the vast majority of high major recruits.

That's something that Fred sells very well, apparent if you read any interviews with Iowa State recruits and commits. It's something he hammers on. Sure, a lot of other coaches can point to their connections to the pros and they past success in sending players to the NBA, and that's great, but not all programs can do it. It helps to offset Fred's lack of experience.

On the other side, you've got a career midmajor coach who waited until he was in his 50's to make a move to power conference basketball. That family environment you describe is all well and good, and I'm sure it's served him well, but how many other coaches do you think play that same card? Pretty much all of them. Not too many recruiting visits start with, "Well the thing about our school is that we don't believe in a family environment."

Granted, I'm biased, but in my opinion Frantastic's job is much tougher. Fred is gaining coaching experience with every game, eliminating his biggest weakness as time goes on, and cashing in on his NBA background to make up for it in the meantime. Fran's getting a nice facility this summer, and has some coaching experience to his name, but he really needs a player to step up and be a star to not only get some wins, but also provide that path to the pros that is sorely needed in today's recruiting game. Hopefully, that guy is already on campus in Basabe or Cartwright.

Fran has one of his first recruits at Siena currently in the NBA.
Fran has actually put a player in the NBA,while Fred can talk about doing it someday.
I do not dislike Freddy,when he was a Bull, I rooted for him,but only time will tell on the value of this NBA cache.
Maybe a bunch of NBA players will start being hired as major college head coaches if Freddy works out? I wanted Reggie Theus to be hired,but he did coach college and NBA ball. Again, I am surprised that Clyde Drexler was not the best recruiter evah with his NBA cred.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Making sure they see a path to the pros is something that is vital to the recruitment of the vast majority of high major recruits.

That's something that Fred sells very well, apparent if you read any interviews with Iowa State recruits and commits. It's something he hammers on. Sure, a lot of other coaches can point to their connections to the pros and they past success in sending players to the NBA, and that's great, but not all programs can do it. It helps to offset Fred's lack of experience.

On the other side, you've got a career midmajor coach who waited until he was in his 50's to make a move to power conference basketball. That family environment you describe is all well and good, and I'm sure it's served him well, but how many other coaches do you think play that same card? Pretty much all of them. Not too many recruiting visits start with, "Well the thing about our school is that we don't believe in a family environment."

Granted, I'm biased, but in my opinion Frantastic's job is much tougher. Fred is gaining coaching experience with every game, eliminating his biggest weakness as time goes on, and cashing in on his NBA background to make up for it in the meantime. Fran's getting a nice facility this summer, and has some coaching experience to his name, but he really needs a player to step up and be a star to not only get some wins, but also provide that path to the pros that is sorely needed in today's recruiting game. Hopefully, that guy is already on campus in Basabe or Cartwright.
I stay on Iowa Hawkeye boards and don't troll around to ISU board because to be honest with you I don't care about ISU.

Fran REBUILT them programs to, he dind't step into a good situation at any of his stops. Once again your selling Fran short because he has tons of experience that matters compared to Freddy. I'm sorry but just because Freddy knows the ins and outs of the NBA front office doesn't mean that any of his recruits will play in the league. I'm a college BB guy and don't pay much attention to the NBA, sure it's nice when Iowa players go on to have pro careers but I would much rathar them worry about winning games at my school. Frans job might be tougher in the short run because he doesn't have a group of big 12 players transfering in and starting after they sit a year. Fran has a solid base as of right now, if and when he lands a big and a shooter that can see the floor next year Iowa BB will be on the map. Iowa's team has experience on the floor, just because ISU is so darn talented doesn't mean they will play together on the floor and your going to be missing the most important piece in college BB, a PG like BC.

I literally forgot what this thread was about. I mean before it became an Iowa/ISU ******* match.

Anyone have any video of Olaseni?

Fran has one of his first recruits at Siena currently in the NBA.
Fran has actually put a player in the NBA,while Fred can talk about doing it someday.
I do not dislike Freddy,when he was a Bull, I rooted for him,but only time will tell on the value of this NBA cache.
Maybe a bunch of NBA players will start being hired as major college head coaches if Freddy works out? I wanted Reggie Theus to be hired,but he did coach college and NBA ball. Again, I am surprised that Clyde Drexler was not the best recruiter evah with his NBA cred.

Who is that? The only Siena basketball player to sign an NBA contract was Kenny Hasbrouck who was waived by Miami without ever playing a game. I'm sure Fran is trotting out his name to all the recruits.:(

I stay on Iowa Hawkeye boards and don't troll around to ISU board because to be honest with you I don't care about ISU.

Fran REBUILT them programs to, he dind't step into a good situation at any of his stops. Once again your selling Fran short because he has tons of experience that matters compared to Freddy. I'm sorry but just because Freddy knows the ins and outs of the NBA front office doesn't mean that any of his recruits will play in the league. I'm a college BB guy and don't pay much attention to the NBA, sure it's nice when Iowa players go on to have pro careers but I would much rathar them worry about winning games at my school. Frans job might be tougher in the short run because he doesn't have a group of big 12 players transfering in and starting after they sit a year. Fran has a solid base as of right now, if and when he lands a big and a shooter that can see the floor next year Iowa BB will be on the map. Iowa's team has experience on the floor, just because ISU is so darn talented doesn't mean they will play together on the floor and your going to be missing the most important piece in college BB, a PG like BC.

Of course Fred's knowledge of the NBA does not guarantee that his players will be pros. There's obviously other factors involved in getting there. The power of the pitch is that Fred can sell that he knows what it takes to get to the pros as he was involved in player evaluation for the T-wolves and was a pro himself. That's not the end all be all of recruiting pitches, but it's something Fran can't say.

Who is that? The only Siena basketball player to sign an NBA contract was Kenny Hasbrouck who was waived by Miami without ever playing a game. I'm sure Fran is trotting out his name to all the recruits.:(

Ok, I thought he was still in the league.
How many of Freddies players have been signed?
I am sure he is trotting all their names out to the recruits.

Oh wait,he has never actually coached a college game or any game til 6 months ago,so he has that track record to sell.

As the poster above said, I never go to ISU boards to argue with ISU fans,and do not understand why anyone ever would do that...why?

You should ask the bevy of Iowa fans that do it. We like discussing college basketball. And I don't try to argue.

Niang doesn't go to Brewster, although that is a very good prep school in the New England area, he goes to Tilton.

As far as the NBA/Fred thing goes, it guarantees nothing for the kids. I do know however that every single kid that has signed with ISU has mentioned it without fail. Both Fred/Fran have angles they can work in recruiting.

As far as the facilities goes, I think they'll be comparable. I don't think the basketball practice facilities will have any features the other one lacks, with the exception of Iowa's being attached to Carver. I'm sure the new TV deal will help ISU take care of some of the degradation in Hilton, it's nothing that can't be fixed easily in an offseason. The players spend 95% of their time in the practice facility anyway, I doubt they care all that much.

I literally forgot what this thread was about. I mean before it became an Iowa/ISU ******* match.

Anyone have any video of Olaseni?
Wanna have a sidebar where we...you know...actually talk about what the title of the thread is?

Anyway, I can't seem to find much video on the guy. Most places list him in the 6'9"-6'10" range.

Gabe Olaseni - Yahoo! Sports

Looked him up on ESPN as well. They still have him ranked as a 40, which seems to be their default ranking of players they have no info on:

Gabe Olaseni 2011 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

I would like Iowa to land Gabe, but if ESPN's scouting is correct on Georges Niang, he sounds like a less fat- but still fat, Cougs.

ISU's dreamboat Fred can have him.

Of course Fred's knowledge of the NBA does not guarantee that his players will be pros. There's obviously other factors involved in getting there. The power of the pitch is that Fred can sell that he knows what it takes to get to the pros as he was involved in player evaluation for the T-wolves and was a pro himself. That's not the end all be all of recruiting pitches, but it's something Fran can't say.
Right, because Fran has only coached the game, played the game but doesn't know how to get a player into the NBA! LMAO.

And Freddy can't say I rebuilt this program, then this one and look at what we are doing at Iowa..........we are only a piece or two away from getting this train on the track and rolling.

To the other Cyclone on the board, I just went to the scout site to visit the Clone board and there is nothing there and I'm not going to search for other Clone sites just to go over there and have a ******* match. Obviosly you Clone fans see one way and I see it my way, right or wrong. It's a HAwkeye site that should for the most part be Hawkeye fans not Clown fans worried about big brother.

Right, because Fran has only coached the game, played the game but doesn't know how to get a player into the NBA! LMAO.

And Freddy can't say I rebuilt this program, then this one and look at what we are doing at Iowa..........we are only a piece or two away from getting this train on the track and rolling.

To the other Cyclone on the board, I just went to the scout site to visit the Clone board and there is nothing there and I'm not going to search for other Clone sites just to go over there and have a ******* match. Obviosly you Clone fans see one way and I see it my way, right or wrong. It's a HAwkeye site that should for the most part be Hawkeye fans not Clown fans worried about big brother.

Well, what has Fran ever done to show that he does know what it takes to play in the NBA? The closest Fran has come to NBA talent is a scrub who never played a single minute in the league. What advice can he give? Maybe he can teach them the Euro to dollar conversion rate, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, Fred not only played in the modern NBA but it was actually his job to evaluate players for an NBA franchise. Again, showing players a path to the pros is not all it takes to recruit good players, but it definitely helps, and it's a card that Fran just does not have in his deck.

As far as rebuilding programs goes, that's great. Fran had some success with small schools. But do you think your average high major recruit gives a crap about the success he had at UNC-Greensboro or Siena? They might as well be high schools. High major basketball is an entirely different animal, evidenced by the tenure's of Lick and G-Mac.

Well, what has Fran ever done to show that he does know what it takes to play in the NBA? The closest Fran has come to NBA talent is a scrub who never played a single minute in the league. What advice can he give? Maybe he can teach them the Euro to dollar conversion rate, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, Fred not only played in the modern NBA but it was actually his job to evaluate players for an NBA franchise. Again, showing players a path to the pros is not all it takes to recruit good players, but it definitely helps, and it's a card that Fran just does not have in his deck.

As far as rebuilding programs goes, that's great. Fran had some success with small schools. But do you think your average high major recruit gives a crap about the success he had at UNC-Greensboro or Siena? They might as well be high schools. High major basketball is an entirely different animal, evidenced by the tenure's of Lick and G-Mac.

Just creepin on Hawkeye Nation today? Must be bored.

Just creepin on Hawkeye Nation today? Must be bored.

It's a legit discussion about the talents of Iowa and ISU's respective coaches, brought about by the fact that they are both recruiting Georges Niang. I don't think I'm trolling, just trying to have a discussion.

The entire assumption on your part is absurd. NBA players are largely recruited, not created.

If you are good enough to play in the NBA, the NBA will find you. Outside of Bobby Knight and Landon Turner, a players draft stock is determined by genetics. The NBA would rather select a poorly coached, raw, young athlete, than a polished well-coached senior with limited athleticism. This isn't football, player development is important in building a program, but it isn't as important in making it to the next level. The NBA is such a specific league in what they are looking for in body type and athletic ability.

The idea that Hoiberg has some special NBA key he can give to potential players is absurd, borderline insane.

Last edited:

Latest posts