Ohio St suspends Tressell for 2 games

So the questions of the day are:
* when, exactly, did the AD find out?
* what else does Tressel know that he hasn't shared with his AD?

The video is must-see-TV. Tressel struggling with certain questions, actually being cut off from answering at least one... the dynamics are fascinating and indicate to me at least one more shoe to drop.

And Gee deserves to be absolutely crucified for his comment.

These are definitely interesting questions, if they knew when he did it would show that the whole athletic dept. and University were not only complicit but aided in a cover up of what they knew and when. The next question is how hard would that be to prove? I don't know if that info would ever come out.

Bottom line for me:

The players' actions gave no competitive advantage, and they're paying a 5-game price (which should have included the bowl game). What Tressel did - lying to investigators and withholding information from his own boss in violation of his contract - is significantly worse and he should pay a significantly higher price.

Bottom line for me:

The players' actions gave no competitive advantage, and they're paying a 5-game price (which should have included the bowl game). What Tressel did - lying to investigators and withholding information from his own boss in violation of his contract - is significantly worse and he should pay a significantly higher price.
I agree with this. Tressel's penalty should actually be steeper than the players. But then again I think selling your stuff is a silly thing to get in trouble for. Tressel's act was more deliberate, however he will not be dismissed for it. I could see him resigning, but Gee won't fire him.

I agree with this. Tressel's penalty should actually be steeper than the players. But then again I think selling your stuff is a silly thing to get in trouble for. Tressel's act was more deliberate, however he will not be dismissed for it. I could see him resigning, but Gee won't fire him.

Fufred yesterday: I think OSU has a pretty good idea what the NCAA reaction to their sanctions will be. If you think this incident will cost Tressel his job you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Today: I could see him resigning.

Changed your tune a little bit today I see. Tressel saw that Pryor, Herron, Posey and the other guys were breaking NCAA rules and would be ineligible and he tried to cover it up, then lied to the NCAA when he got caught. This is not a minor violation.

Of course Gee won't fire the lying Vest. According to Gee the Vest is actually running things.

I agree that selling these things are pretty minor and many things the NCAA sees as a big deal aren't in my mind but they make the rules and I'm sure the Vest knew it was a problem.
It was a pretty dumb idea thinking that this would stay quiet when the Attorney chasing after a drug bust let him know a about it. This was pretty clearly going to come out in the public once the investgation reached an end point.
Very poor decision making by the Vest. Kids could have easily gotten a simple slap on the wrist, served a little suspension and he'd be clean.

Would anyone else not be surprised if the NCAA comes out and announces "because OSU was cooperative and self reported...we are reducing the player's penalties as well to 2 games"

I know it probably won't happen, but it would not surprise me at all....OSU is DIRT.

Would anyone else not be surprised if the NCAA comes out and announces "because OSU was cooperative and self reported...we are reducing the player's penalties as well to 2 games"

I know it probably won't happen, but it would not surprise me at all....OSU is DIRT.

I would be very surprised. i think the NCAA comes down hard.

I agree that selling these things are pretty minor and many things the NCAA sees as a big deal aren't in my mind but they make the rules and I'm sure the Vest knew it was a problem.
It was a pretty dumb idea thinking that this would stay quiet when the Attorney chasing after a drug bust let him know a about it. This was pretty clearly going to come out in the public once the investgation reached an end point.
Very poor decision making by the Vest. Kids could have easily gotten a simple slap on the wrist, served a little suspension and he'd be clean.

I think the NCAA does have some dumb rules but I definitely see why this rule is in place. Without this rule you are opening the door to allow boosters to basically legally pay players.

Who's to say some Buckeye practice shorts aren't worth $5000 to some booster, or that a pair of cleats isn't worth $1000 to another booster. Without this rule in place, all of this would be allowed.

I'd be very surprised if the NCAA doesn't come out with a pretty stiff penalty for the Vest and likely the tOSU. The U found this out post their first investigation so it makes them look negligent and of course the Vest lied in more ways than one. This whole deal certainly suggests there was more to this than we have heard already.
Potentially a very bad situation for tOSU but I'm certain their lawyers and influential boosters have been making phones calls for some time now calling in favors.
It will be interesting to see how things play out here.

I think the NCAA does have some dumb rules but I definitely see why this rule is in place. Without this rule you are opening the door to allow boosters to basically legally pay players.

Who's to say some Buckeye practice shorts aren't worth $5000 to some booster, or that a pair of cleats isn't worth $1000 to another booster. Without this rule in place, all of this would be allowed.
Well lets not fool ourselves that this does not still occur. Clarett is far from the only kid to experience these perks. I had a Hockey player from ISU working for me getting payouts and they weren't even very good.

When OSU self report these violations in December he signed an NCAA Certificate of Compliance form which among other things said, "(Tressel) has reported any knowledge of possible violations to the institution."

Which obviously is not true.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, that is pretty much lying to the NCAA.

Wow, I used to have a lot of respect for that guy. I understand mistakes are made, poor judgement is used. I'm guilty of it myself. But lying to those guys is asking for serious trouble. Its not a matter of if they'll find out, its when.

Fufred yesterday: I think OSU has a pretty good idea what the NCAA reaction to their sanctions will be. If you think this incident will cost Tressel his job you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Today: I could see him resigning.

Changed your tune a little bit today I see. Tressel saw that Pryor, Herron, Posey and the other guys were breaking NCAA rules and would be ineligible and he tried to cover it up, then lied to the NCAA when he got caught. This is not a minor violation.
not changing my tune. I'm just saying he won't be fired. Could he resign? I guess but I don't see it happening, and besides the worst is over. The story basically goes away for the most part after this week, if he was gonna step down I think it woulda been last night. I see him leaving in 2014 like it was thought all along he would....

not changing my tune. I'm just saying he won't be fired. Could he resign? I guess but I don't see it happening, and besides the worst is over. The story basically goes away for the most part after this week, if he was gonna step down I think it woulda been last night. I see him leaving in 2014 like it was thought all along he would....

No, it doesn't. What happens now is the NCAA gets involved. If it took a Yahoo Sports investigation to uncover what OSU's own internal investigation should have discovered in the first place, what else do you think they missed?

If Dez Bryant can have his college career ended for having lunch with Deion Sanders - and then lying about it - surely Jim Tressell can have 3 games added on to his suspension. Jim Tressell/Ohio State is no different than any of the sleazeball coaches and programs in the SEC that Ohio State has continuously looked down at over the years.

Its out of sight out of mind for awhile, thus the media beating OSU is currently taking will subside. Make no mistake the NCAA didn't find anything, OSU self reported. Yahoo didn't find anything, they just leaked the details before it was to be made public.

I have a feeling this isn't the case.

Woody Hayes is rolling in his grave. He may have been a surly curmudgeon but at least he ran a clean program. tOSU should have to give up all last year's wins for using illegal players period. It will be interesting to see if the Big Ten or NCAA have any stones to let them have. Poor judgement is easily understood, lying, no way.

Its out of sight out of mind for awhile, thus the media beating OSU is currently taking will subside. Make no mistake the NCAA didn't find anything, OSU self reported. Yahoo didn't find anything, they just leaked the details before it was to be made public.

This guy is the definition of an Ohio State apologist. The investigation that Ohio State did on itself this past winter didn't find out that Tressell knew about the tattoo and whatnot way back in April. Despite Tressell e-mail account being public record - available to anyone who wants to look at it - the Buckeye investigators weren't able to find them. Interesting indeed.

Jim Tressell is 9-1 against Michigan. Nothing to see here, folks!

Latest posts