Oglesby: Public Intox

Gone are the days of the officer giving the kid a ride home and telling him to be smarter next time.

Right along with "to protect and to serve" ... Common sense and most situational, rational thought has been pressured right out of society by the hypocritical, "no tolerance" groups.

While I'm sure most are great, well-intended men and women, their m.o. gets a bit twisted away from the above human characteristics and more toward the black and white, once their in blue.

It's not the cops' fault that they have no leniency to use their own judgement. The second they give a white basketball player some leniency, and bust some other "non-famous" kid in town, is the day they get sued for discrimination. They're just covering their own *****.

It's not the cops' fault that they have no leniency to use their own judgement. The second they give a white basketball player some leniency, and bust some other "non-famous" kid in town, is the day they get sued for discrimination. They're just covering their own *****.

It would be easier if they impounded the moped and called Fran to pick them up.

Gone are the days of the officer giving the kid a ride home and telling him to be smarter next time.

Haha this reminds me...

My first job out of college was in Omaha and I lived there for two years. I worked downtown and lived in West O, and my car broke down on the way home from work one day during the summer when it was damn near 100 out. Fortunately I was able to get my car pulled into a Target parking lot. At the time I didn't have a lot of money and I didn't want to call a cab because I was only about 4 or 5 miles from home so I started walking.

I get a couple blocks and at an intersection there was a cop stopped at a red light. I knocked on his passenger side window and said "Excuse me officer, my car broke down and I only live a few miles away. Would you mind giving me a quick ride? It's freaking hot out." In a smart *** tone of voice he said "That's not our job". So I politely pointed to a sticker on the side of his car and said "Then what part of Protect and SERVE don't you understand?". The a-hole said "Call a cab" and drove off.

You bring up some interesting points. Cops are human. In today's society, they have more power. If you give someone more power, it tends to get used and sometimes abused, whether a person is good, bad, or indifferent. If the use of power is encouraged by authority figures in a community, the abuse happens more frequently. As it pertains to the basketball players, the coaches and family have to address how much infractions like JO's or PJ's reflect behavioral trends that need to be corrected, or youthful indiscretions which, although disturbing, are more indicative of the vigilance level of the local police force than ongoing problems.

Power corrupts undoubtedly, not always, but it is a fact from the bouncers at the door of a nightclub to the police, which seems to be getting worse as time goes on.....

It is a different world than what I grew up in. I remember cops looking at me and saying Just go home and stay there. Also heard a lot of stories about the Wrestlers at Iowa getting a quick ride home when they would knock someone silly in Iowa City

It is a different world than what I grew up in. I remember cops looking at me and saying Just go home and stay there. Also heard a lot of stories about the Wrestlers at Iowa getting a quick ride home when they would knock someone silly in Iowa City

We live in a different world that it was thirty or forty years ago. The world is getting sicker every day, and the police have a different perspective now. Just look at all the mass killings occurring in the United States. I would rather have someone disciplined if it protected someone else in the long run. Anyone that is paying attention can see the United States is getting more Godless every day.

We live in a different world that it was thirty or forty years ago. The world is getting sicker every day, and the police have a different perspective now. Just look at all the mass killings occurring in the United States. I would rather have someone disciplined if it protected someone else in the long run. Anyone that is paying attention can see the United States is getting more Godless every day.

Is it that much different or are we just more aware of these incidents due to the instant media coverage of all things today?

My Grandpa told me when he was 19 he put his Hudson in the ditch after a long night of drinking. The town cop found him and simply gave him a ride home. That's pretty crazy to think about now days.

6a00d8341bfae553ef019b025f78af970d-pi

Is it that much different or are we just more aware of these incidents due to the instant media coverage of all things today?

When I went to college they didn't have the internet yet. There weren't any mass shootings, ect. The United States has changed dramatically. People are getting used to garbage more every day by television, internet, ect. It really changed when they outlawed prayer in schools, and allowed abortions. Who would of thought that twenty years ago they would make homosexual marriages legal.

Last edited:
There weren't any mass shootings, ect.

Not entirely true:

Charles Joseph Whitman (June 24, 1941 – August 1, 1966) was an American engineering student and former U.S. Marine, who killed 16 people and wounded 32 others in a spree shooting in and around the Tower of the University of Texas in Austin on the afternoon of August 1, 1966. Three people were shot and killed inside the university's tower and eleven others were murdered after Whitman fired at random from the 28th-floor observation deck of the Main Building. Whitman was shot and killed by Austin police officer Houston McCoy.

Last edited:
I don't know if we have more mass killings or not. We may. But I know the 24 hour news cycle puts it in front of us a lot more. I also think it encourages copycats. I do know there is a great divide in this country that is going to destroy us if cant learn to have to discuss our differences in a civil manor I think the internet has made that worse. Cudos to this board I think it does a better job that Robs board at handling disagreement

I don't know if we have more mass killings or not. We may. But I know the 24 hour news cycle puts it in front of us a lot more. I also think it encourages copycats. I do know there is a great divide in this country that is going to destroy us if cant learn to have to discuss our differences in a civil manor I think the internet has made that worse. Cudos to this board I think it does a better job that Robs board at handling disagreement

Totally agree about the great divide. One's political leanings can destroy life long relationships. We have to learn to recognize our friends for who they are, not whether or not they belong to a particular political party.....

:rolleyes:

Latest posts