Oglesby: Public Intox

Thanks. Seems like redundant charges but helps convey he was causing some trouble.

So Pete and Josh definitely aren't character leaders of the team, who is the best role model on the team then? Uthoff? Woody? Gesell?
SHSSSSSSSSSS

Is it really that much of a mental challenge for youngmen to come to know their limitations? A beer or two shouldn't affect a persons ability to act in a responsible way. Seven or more could be an issue so these youngmen need to learn what their limitations are and not cross over them unless they are staying over at a friends house (preferably not in Iowa City) and know they won't be going out on public roadways or public locations where they can get into trouble. This isn't rocket science. Duh, what if C A T really spelled dog. As long as players demonstrate this level of stupidity then they have no business starting on any University of Iowa athletic team. Not likely that they would start anyways but are they trying to seal the deal in writing with blood alcohol counts? Have fun enjoy college life but be responsible.

The cops seem to think by arresting Hawkeye players it will lead to the general student body curbing their drinking. What is actually happening is more students see the athlete out drinking and then they go out thinking it's ok. They also might be going out hoping to run into one of them.

This has been a problem since the 80s when the ic police department started hiring most of their staff from outside of the area. They make their quota tickets and arrests and care more about their paycheck and advancement than the city.

The public intox charge is ridiculous, given he was at a bar.....it's not like he was staggering about down the street. I'm more curious what he did to get the interference with official acts and disorderly conduct. Seeing as our constitution says you can't be charged for the same crime twice, he must have done something else otherwise some of the charges will be dropped.

The public intox charge is ridiculous, given he was at a bar.....it's not like he was staggering about down the street. I'm more curious what he did to get the interference with official acts and disorderly conduct. Seeing as our constitution says you can't be charged for the same crime twice, he must have done something else otherwise some of the charges will be dropped.

I'm assuming the charges will be dropped, but in most cases the interference with official acts and disorderly conduct charges are the result of the drunk individual not listening to the cops. For instance, he could have given them someone else's name instead of his own and then argued with them when they were trying to arrest him.

Or when I was in college a buddy of mine was getting arrested for smoking weed in an alley outside of a bar. Another one of my friends, who was pretty intoxicated, started arguing with the cops for arresting our friend. He told them that he was his lawyer and that he'll help him fight the charges haha. Genius! So they proceeded to arrest him as well for public intox and interference with official acts. He deserved it. You won't hear me say he didn't. They warned him multiple times to stop. I just stayed inside the bar and watched through the window as he made himself look like an idiot.

Anyways, the additional charges usually indicate the individual was really drunk and acting like a moron. In my friends case, he only ended up getting charged with the public intox. They dropped the other charges because he had a clean record, and when he wasn't completely trashed he was a good kid.

I'm assuming the charges will be dropped, but in most cases the interference with official acts and disorderly conduct charges are the result of the drunk individual not listening to the cops. For instance, he could have given them someone else's name instead of his own and then argued with them when they were trying to arrest him.

Or when I was in college a buddy of mine was getting arrested for smoking weed in an alley outside of a bar. Another one of my friends, who was pretty intoxicated, started arguing with the cops for arresting our friend. He told them that he was his lawyer and that he'll help him fight the charges haha. Genius! So they proceeded to arrest him as well for public intox and interference with official acts. He deserved it. You won't hear me say he didn't. They warned him multiple times to stop. I just stayed inside the bar and watched through the window as he made himself look like an idiot.

Anyways, the additional charges usually indicate the individual was really drunk and acting like a moron. In my friends case, he only ended up getting charged with the public intox. They dropped the other charges because he had a clean record, and when he wasn't completely trashed he was a good kid.

Cops don't like to be showed up no matter how nazi they are. Kiss their *** and let them go.

Cops don't like to be showed up no matter how nazi they are. Kiss their *** and let them go.

I "showed a rent a cop up" once. Guy kicked my friend out of the bar for passing out at a table then proceeded to shove him in the back repeatedly on the way out the door. I started talking loudly to my friends about how ridiculous it was so he came over and told us to get out of there. I pulled my phone out and called for a cab and he said to get in our car and drive away I dont care just get out of here. I repeated myself that im on the phone for a cab and he tackled me and cuffed me. I dropped my phone in the process so I asked another friend who had no part in any of it to pick it up for me and the cop tackled him and arrested him for interference of a police act.

You can definitely say I deserved what I got but my friend got arrested for doing nothing wrong at all. Cops are human and they are like anyone else. Some are good and some are bad. Who knows what Josh did to get himself singled out in a bar full of drunks but it could have been just getting in the way of a cop on a power trip.

What will we do now that the best 3-point college basketball "practice" shooter ever won't be in the starting lineup!? :) ... Seriously though, come on Josh ... You're a senior ... Need to be making smarter decisions ...

I "showed a rent a cop up" once. Guy kicked my friend out of the bar for passing out at a table then proceeded to shove him in the back repeatedly on the way out the door. I started talking loudly to my friends about how ridiculous it was so he came over and told us to get out of there. I pulled my phone out and called for a cab and he said to get in our car and drive away I dont care just get out of here. I repeated myself that im on the phone for a cab and he tackled me and cuffed me. I dropped my phone in the process so I asked another friend who had no part in any of it to pick it up for me and the cop tackled him and arrested him for interference of a police act.

You can definitely say I deserved what I got but my friend got arrested for doing nothing wrong at all. Cops are human and they are like anyone else. Some are good and some are bad. Who knows what Josh did to get himself singled out in a bar full of drunks but it could have been just getting in the way of a cop on a power trip.
You bring up some interesting points. Cops are human. In today's society, they have more power. If you give someone more power, it tends to get used and sometimes abused, whether a person is good, bad, or indifferent. If the use of power is encouraged by authority figures in a community, the abuse happens more frequently. As it pertains to the basketball players, the coaches and family have to address how much infractions like JO's or PJ's reflect behavioral trends that need to be corrected, or youthful indiscretions which, although disturbing, are more indicative of the vigilance level of the local police force than ongoing problems.

Gone are the days of the officer giving the kid a ride home and telling him to be smarter next time.

Latest posts