Oglesby and Uthoff Visits

Is Uthoff a kid of the ISU player from way back? Dean, I think his name was? If not, does anyone know if he is related somehow?

having seen both of these players play numerous times in person, im very skeptical about fran pursing oglesby. To me Oglesby is a slightly taller version of Matt Bohannon (Jr. at Linn-mar). Of the two, uthoff seems to have the game of a d1 player, just not the body/bulk yet. He had some of the best post moves i've seen from a high school player in a long time and is very aggressive around the hoop. If he can hit the weights i would love to see him at iowa!

having seen both of these players play numerous times in person, im very skeptical about fran pursing oglesby. To me Oglesby is a slightly taller version of Matt Bohannon (Jr. at Linn-mar). Of the two, uthoff seems to have the game of a d1 player, just not the body/bulk yet. He had some of the best post moves i've seen from a high school player in a long time and is very aggressive around the hoop. If he can hit the weights i would love to see him at iowa!

Does Oglesby have handles? If he is a 6'5'' and has guard handles (ie: better than Gatens & May) and can shoot he would seem to be an asset, even if he is not the most explosive of players. We just really need more perimeter guys with good Big 10 handles.

I like skilled big men. I think teams need a combination of two different types of big men. You need a mix of athletic, hustle, garbage-bucket big men who influence games with their athleticism. Then you also need some multi-skilled bigs who can hit the mid-range, post-up, and posses a more refined offensive game. If you can find bigs that can do both great, but that is hard to find. Sounds like Uthoff is relatively skilled.

Does Oglesby have handles? If he is a 6'5'' and has guard handles (ie: better than Gatens & May) and can shoot he would seem to be an asset, even if he is not the most explosive of players. We just really need more perimeter guys with good Big 10 handles.

I like skilled big men. I think teams need a combination of two different types of big men. You need a mix of athletic, hustle, garbage-bucket big men who influence games with their athleticism. Then you also need some multi-skilled bigs who can hit the mid-range, post-up, and posses a more refined offensive game. If you can find bigs that can do both great, but that is hard to find. Sounds like Uthoff is relatively skilled.

Oglesby has above average handles for an off guard. it was hard to tell how good they were as he was not Washington's primary ball handler. As for his shooting ability i would have to say he was the best shooter i had seen all year in Iowa HS bball. He seemed to have unlimited range and wasnt afraid to let it fly from anywhere.

As for Uthoff he has a very diverse game. Like i mentioned he is extremely skilled around the basket and is very aggressive on the boards (especially the offensive glass). However, in the few times i saw him play, he showed a decent mid-range game, and had the ability to hit some shots from that 15-18 foot range. He was Jeff's whole team this year, and led them to the state tourney basically on his own.

He must not like Uthoff's game which leads me to believe that he hasn't seen him play.

Perrault thought that he was very close to committing to Creighton before the spring AAU season started but then he blew up. From the sounds if it he is becoming a must get for Iowa in the upcoming class. Daniel Poneman compared him to Gordon Hayward and has some good commentary with him as well on Youtube. The kid seems to have a great feel for the game.

From the sounds of it, Uthoff is a very good player. If he waits long enough, there is probably a good chance that he gets an Iowa offer. However, I don't think you can call a kid without an offer (and Fran has seen him play) a "must get."

From the sounds of it, Uthoff is a very good player. If he waits long enough, there is probably a good chance that he gets an Iowa offer. However, I don't think you can call a kid without an offer (and Fran has seen him play) a "must get."

I just meant that in the sense of the programs who are starting to talk to him. He has been to ND, Butler, Indiana, and Illinois lately. I just don't want another Big Ten program coming into Iowa again and taking the states top prospect.

Uthoff is a little on the slow side and really isn't all that athletic. I mean, he can get up and dunk, but just about an 6-8 kid should be able to do that. His bright spots are his passing and shooting ability. Dan Poneman just put out some new video on him that you can look up. Some people compare him to Hayward from Butler, but he isn't that good.

Fran could afford to pass on Uthoff and Oglesby IMO. Neither are a can't miss Harrison Barnes type of player.

Last edited:
Well, gee whiz, how many ARE like Barnes?

No, I wouldn't put Uthoff and Oglesby in the same category as the NUMBER 1 high school player in the country, but let's think about how many are #1?

Hmmm.

I think both Uthoff and Oglesby are fine players and certainly worth taking a look at; similar to Katenda and Coleman in my opinion.

Re: Well, gee whiz, how many ARE like Barnes?

I think both Uthoff and Oglesby are fine players and certainly worth taking a look at; similar to Katenda and Coleman in my opinion.

Fine players, yes. Similar to Katenda and Coleman, no. Just because a kid is from Iowa doesn't make them option numero uno. Katenda and Coleman are both better players than Oglesby and Uthoff. If Katenda and Coleman lived in Iowa they would be the best players in Iowa's 2011 class.

I simply said they were "worth looking at"

not the number one option for recruiting.

Frankly, I would really like it if Iowa was able to get Katenda and Coleman over Uthoff and Oglesby. I think it really could open up recruiting on the east coast. Getting the best of the Iowa kids (short of the can't miss "Barnes" types) is nice, but won't likely produce Big Ten champions on a regular basis.

Just looking at the top Iowa players for 2011 it looks like a somewhat lean year, and you're probably right that Katenda and Coleman would be the top 2 in the state.

Latest posts