***OFFICIAL HAWKS CRAP IN PURPLE KITTIES LITTER BOX GAME THREAD***

I do think we focus too much on Cook when he is in. Tonight we played as a team great sets, good ball movement via pass and dribble. Cook being out required total movement and boy they executed well.

Last year I would agree. This year I don't. He is our best player, so yeah you get him the ball. At the same time this year he isn't forcing it as much, and gives the ball up, and moves the ball much better.

The "we're better without Cook" nonsense can stop right now. Yes the ball moved well last night. It's been moving better, with exceptions, since the MSU loss.

We have Michigan, MSU, Indiana and Maryland ahead. Do you want to take your chances with Cook on the floor or Cook on the bench?

Chris Kuehl can sit and spin.

The "we're better without Cook" nonsense can stop right now. Yes the ball moved well last night. It's been moving better, with exceptions, since the MSU loss.

We have Michigan, MSU, Indiana and Maryland ahead. Do you want to take your chances with Cook on the floor or Cook on the bench?

I’d like a cook in my kitchen, Lol

All joking aside I total agree.

It’s time for McCaffery to either start or get equal minutes to Bohannon. Bohannon is a liability with his totally ridiculous shot choices, and when he gets defended he turtles up and gets stupid with the ball.

McCaffery will actually drive the ball like a point guard, or better yet not bury himself at the top and let himself get swarmed. If Bohannon doesn’t get a screen to bail him out might as well just hand the other team the ball, and when he does get a screen it’s two steps out and launch another one of his dumb threes. He may score more points per minute on average, but he gives up a whole bunch more on his misses and the fast breaks they cause. And let’s not even talk about assists between the two.

I’d rather have a kid who plays like Mike Gessell than one who scores 20 once in a blue moon and stinks the place up the rest of the time.

Man... some nights I feel like I can’t find many positives.

Tonight, Joe was great. Garza gave their bigs all kinds of trouble. JBo helped close it out. Connor was more involved and had some good feeds to Garza. Moss was good again. Baer rebounded and hit a 3. Dailey was disruptive on D. Fran called a timeout and Fran getting heated with the team seemed to work.
You can't say enough about how hard Garza worked in the post. He moved and fought for better position, constantly. That's what a big has to do to get the most out of their game. Connor did some nice things to help him get position too. All of that weaving in and around the FT line with his dribble was meant to get Garza a better angle for the post feed. or better position for a post move.

Best in game coaching in a while. That timeout was key and pounding it inside was a winning formula
This^^. Everyone wants to see 3 pt shots these days. They think it's the only way to win. Our strength is inside - out. We played to our strengths and they chucked 3 pt shots. We won.

It’s time for McCaffery to either start or get equal minutes to Bohannon. Bohannon is a liability with his totally ridiculous shot choices, and when he gets defended he turtles up and gets stupid with the ball.

McCaffery will actually drive the ball like a point guard, or better yet not bury himself at the top and let himself get swarmed. If Bohannon doesn’t get a screen to bail him out might as well just hand the other team the ball, and when he does get a screen it’s two steps out and launch another one of his dumb threes. He may score more points per minute on average, but he gives up a whole bunch more on his misses and the fast breaks they cause. And let’s not even talk about assists between the two.

I’d rather have a kid who plays like Mike Gessell than one who scores 20 once in a blue moon and stinks the place up the rest of the time.
JBo scored the last 6 big points of the game for us. 4 of them were on drives to the basket... I get what your saying he didn't play a great floor game last night. I give Northwestern some credit for that. They and other teams now are adjusting to how they play him. CMs game isn't without fault either. He threw some bad passes that were tipped and stolen I believe too. I love his fearlessness and tough play. If he could be a little more aggressive with taking open jumpers and hitting them he'll be a dangerous player for sure. I like having them both.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but the one I noticed on defense last night was Maishe Dailey. Just wish he was as good on offense.

I dont think anyone will blast you for that. He looked great on defense last night. He and Wieskamp are the only 2 on the team that can get in front of their guy and stop them once they start driving.

You can't say enough about how hard Garza worked in the post. He moved and fought for better position, constantly. That's what a big has to do to get the most out of their game. Connor did some nice things to help him get position too. All of that weaving in and around the FT line with his dribble was meant to get Garza a better angle for the post feed. or better position for a post move.
Absolutely cannot agree more. Connor is not only setting up his man, hes setting up the defender guarding him. And getting them into foul trouble. And forcing to go zone more they would prefer. Getting to the line and hitting 80% doesn't hurt either.

JBo is no slouch at this either. Last night with the game still in the balance around the 1:30-2:00 mark, Northwestern was in no mood to put us on the line. We ran two excellent possessions, got a break wirh the kicked ball, and JBo finished inside.

What I took out of last night's game, other than the effort, was that at the end we dictated to both teams. Collins was out of options. We closed the trap with our queens and rooks and bishops and checkmated him right on his own floor. Hence his calling off the dogs with fifty seconds to go.

If you have assumed control of the game to the point where it's like you're coaching both teams because you've forced their hand you should seldom lose. Excellent job by Fran as well.

Anyone notice that Northwestern used that game last night to celebrate the B1G west football championship, when they could have chosen Illinois on Sunday?

We shoved it up Fitzy's behind as well last night.

Absolutely cannot agree more. Connor is not only setting up his man, hes setting up the defender guarding him. And getting them into foul trouble. And forcing to go zone more they would prefer. Getting to the line and hitting 80% doesn't hurt either.

JBo is no slouch at this either. Last night with the game still in the balance around the 1:30-2:00 mark, Northwestern was in no mood to put us on the line. We ran two excellent possessions, got a break wirh the kicked ball, and JBo finished inside.

What I took out of last night's game, other than the effort, was that at the end we dictated to both teams. Collins was out of options. We closed the trap with our queens and rooks and bishops and checkmated him right on his own floor. Hence his calling off the dogs with fifty seconds to go.

If you have assumed control of the game to the point where it's like you're coaching both teams because you've forced their hand you should seldom lose. Excellent job by Fran as well.
BIG Stats (5 games):

McCaffery:
17.8 MPG; 2.4 PPG; 2.4 APG; 1.0 TPG; 22% FG; 0% 3P; 66.7% FT; 4.4 PER;

Bohannon:
31.5 MPG; 12.6 PPG; 2.2 APG; 1.2 TPG; 34% FG; 36.7% 3P; 90.9% FT; 14.3 PER

Last night was a tough night for JBo. Without Cook NW could key on our 3pt shooters and it worked as Iowa only ended with 4 made threes. Good Iowa defense, bad NW offense, and Joe Weiskamp were enough for the hawks to get the win.

JBo and Cmac are different players. Cmac is stronger with the ball and can use his size to get places on the court that JBo cannot. I can appreciate what Cmac brings to the table on many nights, but B1G defenses appear to have figured him out.

Both can play better and improve and I hope both do, but I don’t think either need a role change at this point.

I mean....uthoff and jok went from limited minutes to 1st team all conference. I just think this current crop of guys don't have the work ethic of those past groups.

Yep. "Work ethic" ain't as common as it used to be.

Jok's "development" was as much recovery as development. He worked hard to get back to his pre-injury form.

JBo scored the last 6 big points of the game for us. 4 of them were on drives to the basket... I get what your saying he didn't play a great floor game last night. I give Northwestern some credit for that. They and other teams now are adjusting to how they play him. CMs game isn't without fault either. He threw some bad passes that were tipped and stolen I believe too. I love his fearlessness and tough play. If he could be a little more aggressive with taking open jumpers and hitting them he'll be a dangerous player for sure. I like having them both.
Jordan had 2 huge baskets down the stretch to close this game out. He hasn't played as well this season, but you want his ball handling, shooting and experience on the floor at all key moments. Fry's had a hard on for Jordan since day 1 as have most. He thinks Jordan takes bad shots, I think he doesn't shoot enough. He is what he is and I do expect more minutes for CM as he develops, but Jordan played pretty clutch last night.

Jordan had 2 huge baskets down the stretch to close this game out. He hasn't played as well this season, but you want his ball handling, shooting and experience on the floor at all key moments. Fry's had a hard on for Jordan since day 1 as have most. He thinks Jordan takes bad shots, I think he doesn't shoot enough. He is what he is and I do expect more minutes for CM as he develops, but Jordan played pretty clutch last night.
Amen to pretty much everything you wrote here. I'm totally with you on this. Most of the time I want him shooting any open look he can get. I think when he goes long stretches between looks he might force one here and there but I'm glad he's got the green light on all the time. I think he's a little too unselfish if anything at times but that'd be nitpicking. I'm not saying he's the perfect PG or player by any means either. But he's pretty darn good and I'm glad he's a Hawk

I mean....uthoff and jok went from limited minutes to 1st team all conference. I just think this current crop of guys don't have the work ethic of those past groups.

they did that their SENIOR seasons, after maturing and developing their game. Iowa currently only has 1 Sr contributor, who was a walk on. Hard for me to say this team doesn't have the work eithic. I think you've seen a similar, or if not more rapid arch for Cook. In fact, I would say he's ahead of those two at this point, but he had more raw athletic ability to work with so he had a head start. I think Luka is on a similar trajectory. Same with Wiesy.

Iowa has scorers at all 5 spots now. Seriously, every player in the lineup has had at least 1 20 point game this season if not multiple ones. Dangerous for teams to prepare for. Play serviceable defense and who knows how good they can be.

Latest posts