***OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD***

Real nice weekend for the Cubs. Take 2 out of 3 in DC and then lock Rizzo up for 7 years with club options for 2 additional years. Average salary of the 7 years isn't even 6 mil per year!

Chicago Cubs lock in Anthony Rizzo with 7-year, $41 million deal - ESPN Chicago

I like it!

Yes, nice weekend for the Cubs by the way. Gregg 6/6 in save opportunities - hopefully the Cubs can catch lightning in a bottle like the Rays did with Fernando Rodney last year, and Gregg can be an effective closer.

The Cubs run differential this year is -13.. Several MLB teams are actually worse, so the Cubs have just been losing lots of close ones and not getting blown out much. Makes me hope that they are not as far from being competetive as it might seem on the surface.

That is an awesome deal for the Cubs. Jon Heyman has tweeted the 2 option years are club option and are worth 14.5 million each year.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m
Rizzo: $2M sign bonus, $750K in ’13m $1.25M in ’14, $5M in ’15 & ’16, $7M in ’17 & ’18, $11M in ’19, cubs option $14.5M in ’20 & ’21

I like it!

Yes, nice weekend for the Cubs by the way. Gregg 6/6 in save opportunities - hopefully the Cubs can catch lightning in a bottle like the Rays did with Fernando Rodney last year, and Gregg can be an effective closer.

The Cubs run differential this year is -13.. Several MLB teams are actually worse, so the Cubs have just been losing lots of close ones and not getting blown out much. Makes me hope that they are not as far from being competetive as it might seem on the surface.

Hopefully Gregg pitches well enough to trade him at the deadline and get a decent prospect in return.

FWIW, Stewart was my least favorite Cub last year. I literally can't remember one single thing he did to win a game last year and I watch a lot of Cub games.

And while I didn't greet Gregg's return to the Cubs with a lot of enthusiasm, I must admit that he's been pretty solid so far. I just can't quite forget his 2009 stint with the blown saves and the era of almost 5.

Looks as if the new brain trust have two pieces of their final puzzle put together with Castro and Rizzo. Still thinking I would give Castro a shot at third base, but that's just me.

Hopefully Gregg pitches well enough to trade him at the deadline and get a decent prospect in return.

Hopefully. I just look at Fernando Rodney's 2012 season, an ERA around 0.60 or something ridiculous, and there had never been anything previous to that in his career that indicated anything like that was coming, and it appears so far this year that he has returned to earth. So you never know - get production out of Gregg and he should be tradeable. Strike while the iron is hot.

That is an awesome deal for the Cubs. Jon Heyman has tweeted the 2 option years are club option and are worth 14.5 million each year.
I think its a steal. Locking him up through his 20s for that amount is impressive.

Too bad the mental midgets who serve as team correspindants are so bad at their jobs. Wittenmeyer said he was not sure it was wise and sullivan thinks cubs are over protective of rizzo.

Cubs are rollin' ladies and gents!! Time to lock Wood up to a long term deal now. This team is going to win more games than people thought this year. Garza set to make his AAA start this week and hopefully he will be back in Chicago next week.

Cubs are rollin' ladies and gents!! Time to lock Wood up to a long term deal now. This team is going to win more games than people thought this year. Garza set to make his AAA start this week and hopefully he will be back in Chicago next week.

Wood has been awesome this year. Most Cub quality starts to start a year since 1919
Also shocked we signed Rizzo to that deal. I like it a lot. Can we waive Carloa yet?

Still a lot of work for Theo to do yet, but the Cubs are playing solid ball right now. I'm cautious not to expect too much from this team, but it looks like the Cubs are not the 100 loss team everyone expected. They've lost a lot of close games and would be about .500 right now if not for some blown saves.

I agree on locking up Wood for a while. He's just 26 years old and is pitching pretty well as he heads towards his prime. Hopefully we'll get some good news on that front.

The earliest Wood can be a free agent is 2017 so there is no need to over react and lock him into a long term contract. Wood still projects as a #3/4 starting pitcher and I would wait until he has had sustained success before throwing a bunch of money at him.

The earliest Wood can be a free agent is 2017 so there is no need to over react and lock him into a long term contract. Wood still projects as a #3/4 starting pitcher and I would wait until he has had sustained success before throwing a bunch of money at him.

LOCK HIM UP NOW!!

Kane County plays in Cedar Rapids over the weekend, would be a good opportunity to see some of the Cubs top rated prospects in action. Vogelbach, Rock Shoulders, and Jeimer Candelario to name a few are on this team. Dillon Maples is pitching tonight and Pierce Johnson starts tomorrow night.

Castro with two more misplayed balls already today and we're only in the second inning. They have got to find a different position for him.

Only at a Cubs game ... :)

Cut 4 | MLB.com: News

beer_dump_8ujtjic4_jjdd2oc2.gif

Nice first start. Too bad the bullpen blew it for him.

I think the Cubs are trying to see how many games they can lose by 1 run this year.

Honestly, if they're not going to compete for a playoff spot, I'd just rather them lose a bunch of games and get a better draft slot (which also brings more money to spend in the draft and the international market)

Honestly, if they're not going to compete for a playoff spot, I'd just rather them lose a bunch of games and get a better draft slot (which also brings more money to spend in the draft and the international market)

I think even if this team were to start playing better and winning these close games, it *might* be able to get to .500. But .500 isn't going to get you in the playoffs anyway. I hate to root for the Cubs to lose, but you are probably right.

Latest posts