******Official Big Ten (and ISU) in Bowls thread********

Sparty outgains Ducks 159 yards to 37 on the ground and loses7-6? Are they taking a page from the Iowa playbook where they think about passing but don't really commit to it?

Here's something to ponder.
B1G
3 Ws
3 Ls
All the wins came from the west division!

giphy.gif
Now you've really put the onus on Iowa to come through tomorrow.;)

Remember the 2010 Orange Bowl vs Georgia Tech? Iowa was playing for more than itself that night. They were the last big ten team to play their bowl game that year and the conference sat at .500. It was up to Iowa to give the B1G a winning bowl season.

Gee, if Kirk knew that, and he probably didn't, he might have really tried to sit on that early 14-0 lead.

Don't believe this has been brought up.

All those Hawkeye fans who were clamoring for new bowl destination, somewhere different, like Sunny California?

It looked a lot like 1984 Freedom Bowl weather out there. A steady drizzle built into pretty good downpour, by San Diego standards, by game's end.

It didn't look very warm, either.

I hate to break it to you, but Purdue plays in the West too and they lost big time.

So really so far its...

West 3-1
East 0-2
Nothing he said in his post was inaccurate. Just incomplete. Yes Purdue resides in the west. He just noted that they reside in the B1G.

Probably my last post of 2018. Happy new year and enjoy the remaining bowl games.

Last edited:
Ranking the best B1G wins thus far:

#1--Wisky
#2--NU
#3-- Minny

Worst losses ranked:

#1--Purdue
#2--Michigan
#3--Sparty

To be continued.....

(Ohio State and PSU should roll. Iowa's going to get like 150 total yards and lose 10-6).....;)

Sparty outgains Ducks 159 yards to 37 on the ground and loses7-6? Are they taking a page from the Iowa playbook where they think about passing but don't really commit to it?
They couldn't punch it into the end zone. Then they couldn't make a field goal. Then they couldn't even get one off. Then they couldn't get into FG range.

It was a grisly progression into the abyss. Where few timid souls dare to tread.

They couldn't punch it into the end zone. Then they couldn't make a field goal. Then they couldn't even get one off. Then they couldn't get into FG range.

It was a grisly progression into the abyss. Where few timid souls dare to tread.

Are you sure you're not replaying the NW game to me? Swine!

Michigan was a disappointment. That is not a very good Florida team.
No doubt! Of course it wasn't a real great florida team that beat the shit out of us a couple years ago either. Michigan was definitely overrated. If they would of gotten in the playoffs i bet they would of gotten rolled by bamma like their instate rival state did when they got in in 2015.

I didnt watch NW vs Utah but I saw Utah was ahead 20-3 then Utah ended on 20 points, I saw Utah outgained NW by about 50 yards but had 6 turnovers to only one for NW. That must have been the game and should have been.

So was Utah just soft with ball? Did NW just muscle the ball away from Utah?

I just saw some replays, not only turnovers but one was 86 yards for a fumble return td and another INT gets returned 50+ yards to set up short td drive. That is one way to win a game

I didnt watch NW vs Utah but I saw Utah was ahead 20-3 then Utah ended on 20 points, I saw Utah outgained NW by about 50 yards but had 6 turnovers to only one for NW. That must have been the game and should have been.

So was Utah just soft with ball? Did NW just muscle the ball away from Utah?

Utah threw an INT which turned the tide. NW had a 50+-yard play to first and goal, then threw a short TD. Then, as Utah was in the red zone, NW forced a fumble and returned it for a TD. Then ANOTHER Utah TO (WR fumbled after converting a first down) with a return to Utah 35-yard line or so, and NW subsequently scored to take the lead. Ball game.

Let's just say NW's defense, couple with some timely Utah TOs, spelled doom for the Utes. Whatever Fitz said at halftime worked to perfection...

I just saw some replays, not only turnovers but one was 86 yards for a fumble return td and another INT gets returned 50+ yards to set up short td drive. That is one way to win a game
How many times over the years has Ferentz won games like that?
Giving up more total yardage but winning the turnover battle and consistently setting the offense up with short fields? That's vintage Kirkball.

Holding Utah to field goal attempts when the Utes could have put the game out reach was a monumental factor in Northwestern winning the game. You could see in the shots of Fitz on the sideline that he was happy to see his defense succeed in keeping Utah out of the end zone.

Utah probably felt like they were in control even as Northwestern was chipping away, that they just needed one more drive. It didn't happen. How many times have we seen Fitz, or Kirk, lull B1G teams to sleep over the years with that same false sense of security?

Latest posts