OFFICIAL 2020 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

Are you saying his "last" game at Wrigley? Maybe so. He won 76 games with the Cubs. Back when it seemed as though every move Epstein made for the Cubs turned out well, obtaining Lester was probably the best (with Arrieta being second). Ah, the good old days!

Yes that's what I meant. Can't believe I left LAST out! Good grief :( ( fixed it )

No problem. I didn't get a chance to watch all of his last start. Were the broadcasters saying he was retiring or just that his tenure with Cubs was over? I thought he had been pitching pretty well since he made some "adjustments."

No problem. I didn't get a chance to watch all of his last start. Were the broadcasters saying he was retiring or just that his tenure with Cubs was over? I thought he had been pitching pretty well since he made some "adjustments."

No mention of retiring. Contract is up and his future with the Cubs unknown.

Being a Cub fan this year is quickly becoming a two edged sword. On one hand, they have led their division the entire season and should make the playoffs. On the other hand, they are the most anemic hitting team I've seen in a long time, getting shut out on a regular basis and seemingly leaving men on base in critical situations with alarming regularity. Is it enough to just make the playoffs this totally wacky year or do they have to at least survive a round or two? And is this the last hurrah for many of the team members?

Bryant injured AGAIN! Cubs play better with him not playing. I'm hoping for the Cubs to at least make the NLCS.

Being a Cub fan this year is quickly becoming a two edged sword. On one hand, they have led their division the entire season and should make the playoffs. On the other hand, they are the most anemic hitting team I've seen in a long time, getting shut out on a regular basis and seemingly leaving men on base in critical situations with alarming regularity. Is it enough to just make the playoffs this totally wacky year or do they have to at least survive a round or two? And is this the last hurrah for many of the team members?
Its puzzling. Many of them have taken steps backward as hitters, especially with strikng out too much. By the time a player has four or five years in the league their strikeouts will usually diminish accordingly. These guys are still striking out at rookie levels. That could be a killer in the postseason, like, it was against the Mets in the 2015 NLCS and the Dodgers in 2017.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's hard to do anything in the post season when every team there has pitchers. The bats have to get going or there's no way they do anything. That said, with baseball being about repetition and timing, as long a lay off as they had I can see how some would struggle to get the bats going, but not an entire team.

As of today, the team batting average is a paltry .224. Only Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are worse. That ain't gonna get it done.

Earlier this season, in a three game series at Pittsburgh, the Cubs scored 18 runs. So far in this three game series at Pittsburgh, they've scored 8 and that included 5 in one game. I keep hearing the players talk about entering the playoffs with reduced pressure on the bats, but frankly, I will be surprised if they can suddenly turn it on and reverse the team slump they've been in all season. You can't have four of your best players hitting 80 points or more under their normal BA and expect good results.

But what do I know? I see defending Champion Washington was eliminated from the playoffs last night and I predicted that with their pitching, they just might repeat.

Last edited:
Cubs lose to the P-Rats 7-0! Boy do the Cubs suck! How can you have the whole team stink at the same time? Weird!

The huge bat flip by Willson ticked off the White Sox causing the pitcher, the manager and the pitching coach all tossed. Cubs blast the Sox 10-0 and Darvish with win number 8! Hope Willson can do it again tomorrow!

Might have been the highest bat flip I've ever seen. Now if we can get all the Cub hitters that are straddling the Mendoza line to the point that they can flip bats after a big hit, maybe we'll have something.

sheeesh it only took KB to wait until the next to last regular season game to do something. He had 5 rbi all season and with a Grand Slam tonight he almost doubled his output. About time he did something other than fall down and hurt himself. Ahhh a third baseman he's not.

I probably have a different take on Bryant than many here. I actually feel badly for him. He has been a success at every level from Little League to the Majors and for him suddenly, for whatever reason, be unable to excel, it must be pretty frustrating for him. From his interviews, he seems to be a genuinely nice guy and instead of having a career year to set himself up for a lifetime contract, he has had a series of injuries that's led to a horrible year. I'm torn as to whether the Cubs should try and retain him or not. Maybe a change of scenery is just what he needs. But either way, it's hard to forget the ROY and MVP seasons he gave the Cubs finally getting that WS monkey off the backs of long time Cub fans.

I've listened to some of his interviews and I don't care for his arrogance. Everybody has a bad year now and then but he sure has a lot of injuries that don't amount to much for most people. He's average at third and seems to be very average with the bat. He better have a very good post season if he wants to set himself for life. Don't forget Lester had a huge hand in that WS and he's having an awful year also. Do you pay them big bucks for something they did 4 years ago? I don't think Lester has his heart in it anymore and Bryant gets hurt every time you turn around. I would give them both a job with the Cubs next year. 1 final chance so to speak. Cubs organization is in love with Bryant so he'll get his big payday.