OFFICIAL 2020 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

Can we just win every game and give us the trophy? I fucking hate STL, MIL, oh I forgot the Dem's (whoops)........sorry ;)[/QUOT

I can't stand St. Lois and then the Cubs are bringing in one of them to be a DH. Cubs start a 5 game series with the birds starting this Friday.

Cubs made history today. The only team to have all 3 outfielders hit 2 HRs each! Schwarber. Happ and Heyward! GO CUBS GO!

I'm by no means a baseball historian and honestly rarely watch if the Cubs aren't playing, but I can't remember a game in which 3 teammates each went yard multiple times in a game. Again I may be off base, but definitely a rarity.

I admit to not following the Cubs as closely this season as I normally do. I have watched a handful of games, but when they ran out to a 13-3 start and the announcers kept talking about history, I knew they were playing with fool's gold. They've hung on to first place all season but now, when the chips are down, they fold up like a cheap suit dropping an important "home" weekend series to, of all people, the Cardinals. The obvious reason is their anemic offense. Only Happ and Hayward are hitting worth a damn and their "stars," Contreras (.240), Rizzo (.223), Schwarber (.222), Baez (.191) and Bryant (.188) have sucked all season. I realize that this season is a serious aberration for the players too, but these guys are just not getting it done anymore and it appears that the prospect of perhaps multiple WS appearances is a pipe dream gone up in smoke. For a guy that has lived and dies (mostly died) with the Cubs for over six decades, it looks like the club has returned to the norm rather than the exception that was so thrilling for us Cub fans for such a brief, shining moment.

It appears as though the Epstein/Hoyer magic has run it's course in Chicago. Hopefully, ownership, who I grudgingly admire for actually doing what they said they would do, will swallow hard and put up enough of their ample fortunes to see if they can get it done again. Otherwise, it would appear that I will go to my grave having experienced just that one thrilling season that ended with the prize all Cub fans have prayed for their entire lives.

Cubs have got to be the WORST team in baseball with the bases loaded. Not just this year. It's been going on for 3 years. Rizzo's last 10 HRs have all been solo. Are Happ and Heyward enough to pull this clunker to the finish line?

Cubs have got to be the WORST team in baseball with the bases loaded. Not just this year. It's been going on for 3 years. Rizzo's last 10 HRs have all been solo. Are Happ and Heyward enough to pull this clunker to the finish line?

Their only hope is that Darvish and Hendricks continue to excel and they can get a few decent starts from Lester, Mills, and a cast of 100's. Maybe Alzolay will provide some help. It would also help if Bryant returned to some semblance of the perennial All-Star player we were so excited about when the Cubs drafted him. And if El Mago once again decided that pitches a foot off the plate are not good balls to swing at and every hit is worth running out instead of waiting to see the result. Maybe it's time to hire yet another hitting coach. o_O

I see the Cubs signed Billy Hamilton. His bat won't light any fires, but he is an exciting player and might be just what this staid group needs to get going. Someone needs to tell this team that baseball is supposed to be fun. The Cubs also signed Pedro Strop to a minor league contract, so that should put a flutter in all Cub fans's hearts.

In any event, with the Dodgers looking like eventual champions, the Cubs are really just vying for a playoff spot.

Alec Mills tossed a NO HITTER!!!! Cubs win 12-0 and got back to back wins against the Brewers!
He is really solidifying his case to be a rotation mainstay. He's shown flashes for a couple years. Hopefully he can build on it with consistent outings.

Bryant is in a tough spot. He hasn't looked mentally engaged all year and probably would have been better off just opting out. Bote in my opinion has beat him out of his job. Bryant's bat looks slow and he is expanding his strike zone. There is precedent for his career path. Anyone remember Jeff Burroughs?

He is really solidifying his case to be a rotation mainstay. He's shown flashes for a couple years. Hopefully he can build on it with consistent outings.

Bryant is in a tough spot. He hasn't looked mentally engaged all year and probably would have been better off just opting out. Bote in my opinion has beat him out of his job. Bryant's bat looks slow and he is expanding his strike zone. There is precedent for his career path. Anyone remember Jeff Burroughs?

Bryant hasn't played for 2 days and he's cost us big time early in this game. Wish they'd just leave him sitting! A terrible fielder!

Bryant hasn't played for 2 days and he's cost us big time early in this game. Wish they'd just leave him sitting! A terrible fielder!
Another concern is Ian Happ. He's been striking out a lot since that batted ball in Pittsburgh freakishly bounced up and hit him in the eye.

I do see that Baez went deep tonight.

Lester probably pitched his game at Wrigley in a Cubs uniform tonight.

Are you saying his "last" game at Wrigley? Maybe so. He won 76 games with the Cubs. Back when it seemed as though every move Epstein made for the Cubs turned out well, obtaining Lester was probably the best (with Arrieta being second). Ah, the good old days!

Last edited:

Latest posts