Offense Now Ranked Below NMSU

ssckelley

If you do not recognize the acronym that's New Mexico State, one of the worst football programs in FBS if not thee worst (flip a coin between NMSU and UMass). So now there are only 3 teams ranked below Iowa in PPG, oddly one of them is another P5 schools (Colorado) and they have zero defensive touchdowns so if you take those away Iowa would be the worst offensive scoring team in P5. In case you are wondering the other 2 schools each have 2 defensive touchdowns so Iowa wouldn't be ranked below them.

Through 7 games Iowa has scored 98 points, the defense has scored 21. The offense has score 7 touchdowns (in 7 games) and 8 field goals, which if we are being honest, a number of those were a direct result of the defense giving the offense good field position. The last time Iowa was this bad on offense was 1999, KF's first team that finished 1-10. That team averaged 14.7 PPG but got no defensive touchdowns with 1 punt return. So this offense is thee worst in KF's tenure and likely thee worst offense since 1978, the last year of Bob Commings (11.4 PPG with 1 defensive touchdown).

What really stands out in the clip below is the allowed points per game (16.1) and so many of those points were directly impacted by offense putting the defense in terrible field position.

I can't wait to watch Iowa play Northwestern this Saturday!

capture.jpg

If I'm not mistaken we finished 121st in total offense in 2021. Staying within 10 slots of that with an admittedly more difficult schedule is pretty good and really consistent. Consistency is very important and we have achieved it. I haven't read the contracts of the staff, but I sure hope that they get consistency bonuses on top of the other bonuses they can earn.

Through 7 games Iowa has scored 98 points, the defense has scored 21. The offense has score 7 touchdowns (in 7 games) and 8 field goals, which if we are being honest, a number of those were a direct result of the defense giving the offense good field position.

I've been kind of wondering about how much the defense has impacting the scoring offense so I looked it up quick. Here are the scoring drives by Iowa starting beyond the 50 yard line:

Nevada:
10 play, 69 yard drive, FG
1 play, 55 yard run, TD

Rutgers:
12 play, 87 yard drive, FG
9 play, 75 yard drive, TD
9 play, 42 yard drive, FG

Michigan:
5 plays, 75 yards, TD

Illinois:
10 plays, 69 yards, FG

OSU:
10 plays, 44 yards, FG

Basically the offense has only generated 3 touchdowns over greater than 50 yards, one being a 1 play run against Nevada and the other being the garbage time TD against Michigan.

I mean this sincerely I don't think there is an example of a team ever with a defense this good and an offense this bad. It's incredibly bizarre.

I've been kind of wondering about how much the defense has impacting the scoring offense so I looked it up quick. Here are the scoring drives by Iowa starting beyond the 50 yard line:

Nevada:
10 play, 69 yard drive, FG
1 play, 55 yard run, TD

Rutgers:
12 play, 87 yard drive, FG
9 play, 75 yard drive, TD
9 play, 42 yard drive, FG

Michigan:
5 plays, 75 yards, TD

Illinois:
10 plays, 69 yards, FG

OSU:
10 plays, 44 yards, FG

Basically the offense has only generated 3 touchdowns over greater than 50 yards, one being a 1 play run against Nevada and the other being the garbage time TD against Michigan.

I mean this sincerely I don't think there is an example of a team ever with a defense this good and an offense this bad. It's incredibly bizarre.
Without taking the time to look this up I’m guessing this is thee worst in FBS as none of those other teams Iowa is ranked with has a defense like Iowa’s.

If I'm not mistaken we finished 121st in total offense in 2021. Staying within 10 slots of that with an admittedly more difficult schedule is pretty good and really consistent. Consistency is very important and we have achieved it. I haven't read the contracts of the staff, but I sure hope that they get consistency bonuses on top of the other bonuses they can earn.
Brian got a bonus last year for finishing 121st.

If we were ranked 121st this year Iowa would be averaging over 18 points per game and they'd probably be sitting 5-2 right now.

I, for one, appreciate a good dose of sarcasm. I bet you are a load of fun after 5 beers with tequila chasers!

You're going to hear variations of this theme from me until you're sick of it. Kirk thought he could lean completely on defense, special teams, and field position to win this year. Basically tell the offense to not turn it over. It works when you minimize penalties, turnovers, and bad luck. Iowa has had an abundance of all three this year.

Kirk thinks he can win this way and time has borne him out. Think '09 Penn State, '16 Michigan, Outback Bowl vs Mississippi State, and last year's Penn state and Nebraska games.

If KenPom used their metrics to rank football teams Iowa would be no KenPom darling. Ironically its almost the opposite of basketball, where our record seldom matched our KenPom.

Here's something else I'm not sure has been brought up. Our offense has to practice against our defense every day.

You think most game day defenses would be easier that what we go up against in practice every day.

If you do not recognize the acronym that's New Mexico State, one of the worst football programs in FBS if not thee worst (flip a coin between NMSU and UMass). So now there are only 3 teams ranked below Iowa in PPG, oddly one of them is another P5 schools (Colorado) and they have zero defensive touchdowns so if you take those away Iowa would be the worst offensive scoring team in P5. In case you are wondering the other 2 schools each have 2 defensive touchdowns so Iowa wouldn't be ranked below them.

Through 7 games Iowa has scored 98 points, the defense has scored 21. The offense has score 7 touchdowns (in 7 games) and 8 field goals, which if we are being honest, a number of those were a direct result of the defense giving the offense good field position. The last time Iowa was this bad on offense was 1999, KF's first team that finished 1-10. That team averaged 14.7 PPG but got no defensive touchdowns with 1 punt return. So this offense is thee worst in KF's tenure and likely thee worst offense since 1978, the last year of Bob Commings (11.4 PPG with 1 defensive touchdown).

What really stands out in the clip below is the allowed points per game (16.1) and so many of those points were directly impacted by offense putting the defense in terrible field position.

I can't wait to watch Iowa play Northwestern this Saturday!

View attachment 9425
At this point, does it matter though? It's just a rinse and repeat.

Basically this is like a contest to see who can whisper the loudest

And I'm sorry to all the people who'll get butthurt by this, but wanting Iowa to finish this year strong are nearsighted at best, and ignorant at worst. If we go and win 3 or 4 of these next 5 games, It'll buy Brian a couple more years with boosters and Kirk will have more ammo to keep him. Sometimes you have to realize that the long term goals are bigger than the current team.

At this point, does it matter though? It's just a rinse and repeat.

Basically this is like a contest to see who can whisper the loudest
No, I’m just making discussion points on a forum. I can’t come up with anything that really does matter. I’m not that creative.