Offense issues Talent or Coaching?

Im
OK we don't have great speed at Wide receiver and at this point we don't have a difference maker at RB but a good scheme can make players more effective. We just don't get separation with the wide outs. Even the catch made by Smith had to be a perfect throw. Just have to believe a good part of the problem is our schemes. I remember when Woody Hayes recruited great wide receivers and ran a Jr High pass offense with no success. Iowa State has good corners but we just didnt get anyone open. They ain't that good. Hopefully we come out throwing on first down when we hit the big games (Wisconsin) and we get receivers open like we did last year against Ohio State

I'm convinced the coaching staff never changes anything up. We run the same patterns that have been run for years making it far too easy for a defense scheme a game plan to stop our offense. I think we have the appropriate speed and talent which leaves coaching as the culprit.

It all comes back to coaching. But before we wholesale slam the coaching, they do, do an excellent job in some areas such as developing overlooked players into outstanding NFL caliber players.

However, when it comes to receivers, Iowa just doesn't recruit the talent they need. Illinois had Geronimo Allison. Iowa State had Allan Lizzard. Still have Hakim Butler. Purdue has a excellent passing offense. Those programs until late, (excluding Illinois, still on the bottom) have been on the bottom of their respective conferences.

Iowa has some talent, Nick Easley is a good WR. Smith Marsette is developing into a decent WR. yet I wouldn't say either of them are better than Butler, Lizzard or Allison. So it all comes down to coaching, recruiting, offensive philosophy, and talent.

This has happened too many years now to be talent. The schemes and routes obviously suck and I think Iowa really needs to take a look in and re-evaluate in the off season and maybe make some play changes. Most other teams find a way to get receivers in space or have deception getting receivers open. You watch UNI Saturday. They will find a way to get receivers in space downfield. Iowa seems to struggle with this.

I put most of the blame on the play calling. It was a really poorly called game. We barely took any deep shots and I don't recall seeing much play action. And don't even get me started on that draw play on 3rd and 9. However, there were quite a few times where Stanley threw a bad ball to an open receiver, or a receiver dropped a catchable pass. That's two games in a row now where both of those have happened which is concerning. I think our offense would have looked a lot better if Stanley and the receivers weren't killing drives.

If you NEVER take deep threats, then you are NEVER a deep threat. So, the Ferentz's have to learn that it is in the best interest of the team and offensive production to take some deep threats every now and then, even though a catch is not made. You still have to show you are willing to go deep to keep the defense honest!

The Ferentz's have proven to NOT BE the best at playing the mental game within a game, and rely too much on just fundamental's and that the players will perform better than their opponents on plays. This is just another aspect of the coaches doing all they can to put the team in position to succeed. For cripes sake, HELP YOUR PLAYERS by bringing some diversity to keep the D honest and out of the box.

OK we don't have great speed at Wide receiver and at this point we don't have a difference maker at RB but a good scheme can make players more effective. We just don't get separation with the wide outs. Even the catch made by Smith had to be a perfect throw. Just have to believe a good part of the problem is our schemes. I remember when Woody Hayes recruited great wide receivers and ran a Jr High pass offense with no success. Iowa State has good corners but we just didnt get anyone open. They ain't that good. Hopefully we come out throwing on first down when we hit the big games (Wisconsin) and we get receivers open like we did last year against Ohio State

I’d say 70% - 80% of the problems over the last 3 seasons is talent

Merry Christmas

If you NEVER take deep threats, then you are NEVER a deep threat. So, the Ferentz's have to learn that it is in the best interest of the team and offensive production to take some deep threats every now and then, even though a catch is not made. You still have to show you are willing to go deep to keep the defense honest!

The Ferentz's have proven to NOT BE the best at playing the mental game within a game, and rely too much on just fundamental's and that the players will perform better than their opponents on plays. This is just another aspect of the coaches doing all they can to put the team in position to succeed. For cripes sake, HELP YOUR PLAYERS by bringing some diversity to keep the D honest and out of the box.
Iowa recruited Charley Jones, Keagan Johnson, Arland Bruce and Kaleb Brown. Bruce didn't see many deep balls but the other three did. I suspect Kaleb B will see many more deep balls next year. It's kind of an obvious place to start.

Of course, 2 of 4 of the QBs throwing to them had sub .500, and the other two only accuracy and those wild off direction throws cost the receivers a lot of opportunities. Took the time to look. Cade was 51.1%, Hill 49.4%, Petras 55.9% and Padilla 48.8%. This is where the problem starts.

Latest posts