Offense issues Talent or Coaching?

longtimer

OK we don't have great speed at Wide receiver and at this point we don't have a difference maker at RB but a good scheme can make players more effective. We just don't get separation with the wide outs. Even the catch made by Smith had to be a perfect throw. Just have to believe a good part of the problem is our schemes. I remember when Woody Hayes recruited great wide receivers and ran a Jr High pass offense with no success. Iowa State has good corners but we just didnt get anyone open. They ain't that good. Hopefully we come out throwing on first down when we hit the big games (Wisconsin) and we get receivers open like we did last year against Ohio State

Tired of seeing the WRs' bashed, Marsette (sp?) is as fast as anyone out there. You could put Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there and get the same results in this scheme. Three yard routes, it is like Greg Davis never left.

Such a premium on flawless execution......one dropped pass or one missed blocking assignment and it ruins everything for an entire drive. I just wish there was a larger margin of error.

2016 coaching with national OL of year award = brilliant

2017 coaching with freshman OT = bad

talent + experience + good coaching = good coaching

Tired of seeing the WRs' bashed, Marsette (sp?) is as fast as anyone out there. You could put Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there and get the same results in this scheme. Three yard routes, it is like Greg Davis never left.

Yeah, I don’t know Easley’s stats, but I don’t think he has had a decent ball thrown to him yet. He has been open, not a ton, but every time they go his way Stanley is way off. What is frustrating it seems like they set something up for a quarter and a half and Stanley whiffs on the throw.

Such a premium on flawless execution......one dropped pass or one missed blocking assignment and it ruins everything for an entire drive. I just wish there was a larger margin of error.

When can flawless execution push back a top 15 defense if that D pretty much knows what's coming? I do believe the "execution" thingy is way overhyped.

When can flawless execution push back a top 15 defense if that D pretty much knows what's coming? I do believe the "execution" thingy is way overhyped.

When this debate comes up the defenders of Ferentz go to the “execution” reason a little too much, imo. That being said, if you see something that has been perfectly designed, has been set up for the right moment in the game and it is not executed it is hard to put on the coaches. Most Iowa games come down to those 3 or 4 plays.

2016 coaching with national OL of year award = brilliant

2017 coaching with freshman OT = bad

talent + experience + good coaching = good coaching

And they moved that OL coach from that season to a position he's never held, OC. And then they hired a proven FCS OC as their new OL coach.

When this debate comes up the defenders of Ferentz go to the “execution” reason a little too much, imo. That being said, if you see something that has been perfectly designed, has been set up for the right moment in the game and it is not executed it is hard to put on the coaches. Most Iowa games come down to those 3 or 4 plays.

The problem is partly due to what you describe as "most" games come down to that. There are too many that come down to 3 or 4 plays. Those plays due tend to be quite predictable, therefore the execution doesn't matter as much.

I"m more concerned about games like the Rose Bowl, the Florida game, Wisky, and so on where it's just plain out disaster that most decent level teams don't show that poorly.

I agree that teams get dismantled. How oft though do you see better programs look that bad at times?

Even the OSU game last year most would have thought that Iowa had a great game and OSU a really poor game. Few came away thinking OSU was just totally a screw up team.

Yep, most of twenty years of evidence would point to a scheme/coaching issue. We had receiver separation issues before Davis ever got here.

OK we don't have great speed at Wide receiver and at this point we don't have a difference maker at RB but a good scheme can make players more effective. We just don't get separation with the wide outs. Even the catch made by Smith had to be a perfect throw. Just have to believe a good part of the problem is our schemes. I remember when Woody Hayes recruited great wide receivers and ran a Jr High pass offense with no success. Iowa State has good corners but we just didnt get anyone open. They ain't that good. Hopefully we come out throwing on first down when we hit the big games (Wisconsin) and we get receivers open like we did last year against Ohio State

Its coaching and talent.

I have it in the back of my mind that this OLine coach is not effective. Notice Brian is down on the field now? I saw kirk giving instruction to an O lineman yesterday.

Stanley lacks the intangibles. He is all tangibles. He's not a leader, he's easily rattled, he isnt an accurate passer. None of that attitude of Tate and Beathard. He does not have what you can not coach

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-9_13-58-41.png
    upload_2018-9-9_13-58-41.png
    17 KB · Views: 4
Both. Coaching is responsible for all of it though. They cannot recruit talent at the wr position, that falls on the coaching staff. BF is horrendous as an OC, and that falls on KF for hiring his son, who has done absolutely nothing to deserve the job. The offense has never been good at Iowa, but this is getting embarrassing now. 6 points total in the first half against ISU, and NIU. Oh, thats right, they are really good teams this year. Same excuse we hear every single year for this offense. Stanley is not a good qb. He's had how many starts now? How many games has he looked good in outside of the OSU game last year? That's right though, he just needs more time.

Latest posts