Offense issues Talent or Coaching?

Offense goes through the qb. It starts and ends with Stanley. With Stanley, I’m starting to see similarities between him and Rudock and Vandenburg. I think he is uncomfortable in a leadership role. He still overthrows his deep routes and throws behind guys on intermediate routes and throws passes into the dirt on short routes. More often than not, he throws too hard without touch. I think he worries more about throwing an interception or getting sacked than making a completion. Needs a gunslinger mentality and you just cant teach that. He also makes some questionable reads on the defense. You just do not check down to your rb when there are 8 men in the box! Dont get me wrong, Im not putting this all on our qb. The receivers gotta learn to make their cuts and get some seperation. They need to use their hands to make catches instead of catching the ball in their numbers. These guys need to develop more swagger and toughness to their game. I watched Purdue’s Black and Gold Days special and something Brohm told his qb’s kinda stuck with me. “Throw to the receivers helmet and let him make the adjustment” (to catch the ball). Good advice. I just hope the offense can get it figured out soon so we dont get embarassed on national tv, in our own backyard, vs. Wisconsin. If we beat them, it will because the defense puts them in short yardage situations all day and creates more turnovers. Its not impossible, but highly unlikely. Through thick and thin, I love my Hawks and will always support them. And just like the coaches, we fans cannot suit up and play the game for them. I hope they get it done.

90% coaching, 10% talent. More specifically, coaching in terms of number of schemes and Attempts to throw downfield. By downfield I simply mean 10, 15 yard passes. Plenty of teams throw go routes for no other reason than to get a PI or back up the safeties...hey...if its caught..great. yes, the qb needs to be able to throw it where only the wr can get it... more attempts can develop that.

It doesn't need to be risky to throw deeper.

No one really knows if our wrs arent solid, we dont get to see enough attempts to know that. And the "separation" argument is overplayed, wrs are "thrown open" every week, all over college football..by teams with less talent than Iowa.

Again...ONE 10+ yard pass in the first half...to a mismatch....it was clear PI...it worked(it should have anyway).

ONE go route to B Smith in the 2nd half...It worked. Was pretty risk free as long as not underthrown.

Not. Enough. Attempts. You know how you develop WRs and give them confidence, you give them reps...in a game.

Also, still Far to predictable at times. There were at least 6-7 times yesterday on 2nd and 3rd downs where ISU absolutely Knew not only that it was a run, but Where it was going. Execution can only do so much with guys simply crashing 2 gaps.

I still hold out hope BF is waiting to unleash it...

Last edited:
I put most of the blame on the play calling. It was a really poorly called game. We barely took any deep shots and I don't recall seeing much play action. And don't even get me started on that draw play on 3rd and 9. However, there were quite a few times where Stanley threw a bad ball to an open receiver, or a receiver dropped a catchable pass. That's two games in a row now where both of those have happened which is concerning. I think our offense would have looked a lot better if Stanley and the receivers weren't killing drives.

Maybe the coaches think they can play vanilla offense and win until they open up the playbook when Wisconsin comes to town. They’ve had this game circled for so long, maybe they want Wisky to worry more about our defense than our offense. Haha!

And they moved that OL coach from that season to a position he's never held, OC. And then they hired a proven FCS OC as their new OL coach.

This is a true statement. I think these coaches need to be swapped. Although, coach P. seems to have the o-line a little more figured out.

Maybe the coaches think they can play vanilla offense and win until they open up the playbook when Wisconsin comes to town. They’ve had this game circled for so long, maybe they want Wisky to worry more about our defense than our offense. Haha!

I sincerely hope this is the case.

The biggest issue isn't talent or coaching it is execution. When you drop the ball and cannot accurately throw the ball it hurts a lot. When you couple that with "lazy" route running you get what we have seen so far.

Offense goes through the qb. It starts and ends with Stanley. With Stanley, I’m starting to see similarities between him and Rudock and Vandenburg. I think he is uncomfortable in a leadership role. He still overthrows his deep routes and throws behind guys on intermediate routes and throws passes into the dirt on short routes. More often than not, he throws too hard without touch. I think he worries more about throwing an interception or getting sacked than making a completion. Needs a gunslinger mentality and you just cant teach that. He also makes some questionable reads on the defense. You just do not check down to your rb when there are 8 men in the box! Dont get me wrong, Im not putting this all on our qb. The receivers gotta learn to make their cuts and get some seperation. They need to use their hands to make catches instead of catching the ball in their numbers. These guys need to develop more swagger and toughness to their game. I watched Purdue’s Black and Gold Days special and something Brohm told his qb’s kinda stuck with me. “Throw to the receivers helmet and let him make the adjustment” (to catch the ball). Good advice. I just hope the offense can get it figured out soon so we dont get embarassed on national tv, in our own backyard, vs. Wisconsin. If we beat them, it will because the defense puts them in short yardage situations all day and creates more turnovers. Its not impossible, but highly unlikely. Through thick and
thin, I love my Hawks and will always support them. And just like the coaches, we fans cannot suit up and play the game for them. I hope they get it done.

Stanley is reminding me of Jake Christiansen

What does it mean when they say a player is cerebral? Does it mean that they think he’s a smart player What it tells me is he thinks too much! I want guys that have football IQ! I want guys who react naturally to the ball. Give me guys that play with reckless abandon and play like their hair is on fire. A guy that has a motor, never stops attacking and never takes a play off. Thats a football player! I’d take that guy everytime over a “cerebral” guy. If you want cerebral, then you need to go to Northwestern.

It seems the ONLY game we played 'to win' under BF, was OSU last year. Pushed the ball down the field, on FIRST DOWN, and pedal-to-the-metal. Loosened up the defense and made them play honest.

Every other game, play 'not to lose'....run to short side of field on first down for maybe a yd or two, and play 'behind the sticks' and predictable all game (Defense pretty much knows EXACTLY what we are doing every play). Defenses pretty much keeping all 11 guys within 8 yds of LOS. Suffocating us.

As great as Wadley is, last year I think he averaged less than 4 yds per carry!:( That's hard to do. Only a BF coached team can accomplish that...

My bet is the opposite, we pour on even more plain vanilla against Bucky. Set the record for fewest yards in a game ever. Stretch short side all day baby.

What does it mean when they say a player is cerebral? Does it mean that they think he’s a smart player What it tells me is he thinks too much! I want guys that have football IQ! I want guys who react naturally to the ball. Give me guys that play with reckless abandon and play like their hair is on fire. A guy that has a motor, never stops attacking and never takes a play off. Thats a football player! I’d take that guy everytime over a “cerebral” guy. If you want cerebral, then you need to go to Northwestern.
Drew Tate used up all his eligibility, unfortunately.

I think the plays called are fine (except for the horizontal passes... hate that crap! ) ... They're just usually called at the wrong times! :)

Hate to always go back to the OSU game, but that's one of the only games I remember when you couldn't predict before we even lined up what kind of play was coming. Fix that crap and we'll at least have a respectable offense.

Every year we say the same thing “Iowa is playing vanilla offense till big10”, and at least my perception is Iowa becomes even more conservative in conference play. We definitely do not open the offense up except one game a year, and it leaves us wondering what could have been.

This is a scheme issue. Yeah we didn’t have the greatest WR here at Iowa but under KOK we always had that go to WR, and TE to count on. 10-15 yard crosses and Seam routes.

Now all we see are 3 yard outs where the defender is all over our player as soon as the ball hits them. How many 4 yard passes did Hockensen catch against ISU?

You know what would help this offense, besides the aforementioned deep passes to back off the safeties .....
Screen passes
Roll outs
PLAY ACTION
Curl routes

Something easy for Stanley to get into a rhythm. Instead his first passes of the game are 40 yards across the field for a 3 yard gain if it’s caught.

This will play out like every year. Our defense is stout, but will tire out as the season goes on. We will have one game where the offense breaks tendencies and half the fan base will say “See, Brian gets it!!” And the other have will wonder where the @/&$& has this been (and rightly so)

It’s time to stop talking about BF time with the Patriots, and his talk of adapting is BS. We’ve shown nothing of the sort.

BF only knows KF football. And that’s what we will see until the family is gone from Iowa. Which appears to be after I’m dead (I’m 39)

Latest posts