• 33%

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • 50%

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You don't think that fans constantly talking about a game in November when it's only June won't affect the team? It's all anyone wants to talk about. When the players are constantly surrounded by people talking about OSU, and asking the players about it, it's inevitably going to put it in the back of their minds. It's no different than players buying into hype from outsiders (see: Drew Tate). Everyone is affected by their environment. And it would be easier for the team to focus if we didn't constantly create a potential distraction.

I've never understood this logic and it always sounds stupid when I hear it. Do the players and coaches hear people talking about the big game against OSU? Sure. Does it affect their play when they line up against any opponent prior to that game? Hell NO!!! You must have zero faith in the Hawkeye players and coaching staff if you think this way. If these guys are thinking about OSU while they're lining up against Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arizona, etc then we're in for a really crappy season. Just stupid logic to think this way.

I've never understood this logic and it always sounds stupid when I hear it. Do the players and coaches hear people talking about the big game against OSU? Sure. Does it affect their play when they line up against any opponent prior to that game? Hell NO!!! You must have zero faith in the Hawkeye players and coaching staff if you think this way. If these guys are thinking about OSU while they're lining up against Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arizona, etc then we're in for a really crappy season. Just stupid logic to think this way.

It'd be stupid if it wasn't true. If it didn't actually happen before.................too bad it has and does to a lot of teams every year.

But I get why you and a lot of fans don't understand. You just don't see it that way.

It doesn't have anything to do with their physical play. It's all mental. Hayden in his prime was great at getting his team prepared from a mental aspect.

At the same time, you hear about teams buying into the hype and not pushing themselves as hard as they could or getting frustrated because they were "supposed" to be able to beat somebody and are having a tough time or aren't.......yeah the fans CAN affect that aspect of the players' mentality as well.

But like I said, you just don't see it that way. For every positive effect (crowd cheering team on, getting them pumped) there's an equally negative effect (crowd booing) and sometimes you can hurt them without even meaning to (overhyping).

Then again, if you went onto collegefootball.rivals.com to post on the CFB board that Iowa was the greatest and was guaranteed to win the national title, you're basically inviting everyone to flame you and the team and then point and laugh at the rest of us if and when they lose.

THAT doesn't affect the players but makes US look bad, when we get these idiot newcomers who think it's totally safe to say whatever they want without repercussions. There are always repercussions, just the degree varies.

But those last two paragraphs are for another argument........

I've never understood this logic and it always sounds stupid when I hear it. Do the players and coaches hear people talking about the big game against OSU? Sure. Does it affect their play when they line up against any opponent prior to that game? Hell NO!!! You must have zero faith in the Hawkeye players and coaching staff if you think this way. If these guys are thinking about OSU while they're lining up against Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa State, Arizona, etc then we're in for a really crappy season. Just stupid logic to think this way.[B/]

And what better way to get them thinking about OSU than to talk about that game non-stop for 6 months?

I've been saying for awhile now that the game I'm most concerned about is Eastern Illinois. One game at a time, folks, one game at a time.

Last edited:

Latest posts