Nunge Rumor

NikeHawk21

I was reading on the other site and some folks were claiming that Nunge was strongly considering transferring. I don’t have any inside scoop other than just reading it so it very well could be a rumor. Has anyone else heard similar? To me he seems like one of the last guys I would expect to transfer.

I think this would be a huge loss as I saw Nunge, along with Weiskamp and Garza as kind of the future to get this thing going again. With a potential Cook departure looming it could really be a double whammy.

Sounds like just silly rumors, but these days who knows.

After the season Iowa had I almost wish they had just redshirted Nunge. I think he's going to be really good, but he needs another year or two to develop. Uthoff didn't really put it all together until his 4th and 5th years of college and I could see Nunge being the exact same.

Going into next season Nunge is probably behind Cook and Kriener at the 4, but the 3 spot is pretty weak. Lets face it, Baer had a terrible season, so if Nunge wants to start at the 3 spot he really needs to work on his perimeter defense and using his size to his advantage like Uthoff did.

Sounds like just silly rumors, but these days who knows.

After the season Iowa had I almost wish they had just redshirted Nunge. I think he's going to be really good, but he needs another year or two to develop. Uthoff didn't really put it all together until his 4th and 5th years of college and I could see Nunge being the exact same.

Going into next season Nunge is probably behind Cook and Kriener at the 4, but the 3 spot is pretty weak. Lets face it, Baer had a terrible season, so if Nunge wants to start at the 3 spot he really needs to work on his perimeter defense and using his size to his advantage like Uthoff did.
I’d take Nunge over Kriener at the 4 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. At the 5, Kriener has a case. Look at the guys playing the 4 position in the league right now (Vince Edwards, Jaren Jackson, Lamarr Stevens, Isaac Copeland, Jaesean Tate, etc.) from a pure footspeed standpoint Kriener has very little chance to defend any of those guys.

He was a boatload of potential so I hope this isn't true. I do think Fran really mismanaged his skill set this year though so I could understand it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he left. The coaching staff spent an entire year jerking him around between the 2, 3, and 4 spots....
The weird part was they started him at his natural spot the 4 early in the year for a couple games and he seemed to play well. Back to back games of:

@ Indiana 12/6
@ ISU 16/8/4

Then Fran yanked him as a starter and started playing him at the 3 with way less minutes. Finally they insterted him back into the starting lineup at the 3 but he would still only get like 10-15 minutes a game even as a starter.

Maybe he doesn’t want to play 3 and realizes he is a better player than Pemsl, Kriener, and Wagner who are ultimately eating into his minutes at his natural spot.

Uhhhhhhh...wut?
Kriener has a case he’s a better 5 man than Nunge. I thought he did a pretty good job defending true post players. We never really saw Nunge given that opportunity. At the 4 Kriener has a really tough time defending quicker guys.

The weird part was they started him at his natural spot the 4 early in the year for a couple games and he seemed to play well. Back to back games of:

@ Indiana 12/6
@ ISU 16/8/4

Then Fran yanked him as a starter and started playing him at the 3 with way less minutes. Finally they insterted him back into the starting lineup at the 3 but he would still only get like 10-15 minutes a game even as a starter.

Maybe he doesn’t want to play 3 and realizes he is a better player than Pemsl, Kriener, and Wagner who are ultimately eating into his minutes at his natural spot.

Nunge is a microcosm of Fran's coaching this year. Can't decide who to play where, who to sit, etc. I can understand why Nunge would be frustratred. (thinking "this guy has no idea how to use me")

I really thought Fran mismanaged Nunge. He has a lot skills but this jerking him in and out of the lineup and rotation was ridiculous. I love Baer but he was really bad this past season in several areas and Jack has twice the offensive skills if not more.

Losing Jack would be a big blow. Losing Cook is bad enough but understandable and unpreventable. Jack was a building block.

This idea of redshirting him was not going to happen either ever. Those discussing it forget the player has to agree to it and Jack wanted and knew he could play day 1. He never wanted to RS.

Bottom line is Fran’s concern about playing everyone really cost this team during the season and now may cost it dearly after. You can’t keep that many guys happy but Fran seemed to care more about it than winning games. It turns out no one was happy - big surprise. Go with the best guys and which was about 7-8 guys max on this roster not 10-11.

I’d take Nunge over Kriener at the 4 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. At the 5, Kriener has a case. Look at the guys playing the 4 position in the league right now (Vince Edwards, Jaren Jackson, Lamarr Stevens, Isaac Copeland, Jaesean Tate, etc.) from a pure footspeed standpoint Kriener has very little chance to defend any of those guys.

Nunge played zero defense though...that was his main problem. For an entire team that played horrible defense, Nunge was king. The last time we really saw him on the season he got embarrassed by Mo Wagner.

I think the 3 is where Nunge has the best chance of sticking because Fran loves himself some Pemsl and you know Garza/Cook are gonna get 30 minutes each next year.

Nunge played zero defense though...that was his main problem. For an entire team that played horrible defense, Nunge was king. The last time we really saw him on the season he got embarrassed by Mo Wagner.

I think the 3 is where Nunge has the best chance of sticking because Fran loves himself some Pemsl and you know Garza/Cook are gonna get 30 minutes each next year.
I firmly disagree. Maybe it was because he was playing out of position that you thought that.

Jack was 8th on the team in minutes played but ranked T-3 in steals and 2nd in blocked shots. Of the regulars he ranked 2nd in Defensive Box +/- and 3rd in Defensive rating.

I’ve said in a few other threads, but I believe if Jack plays his natural spot of the 4 next season, he will be our best defensive player.

Also Garza and Cook won’t get 30 minutes because they won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble that long.

Nunge trying to guard the 3 when he is a 4 is dumb by Fran.

Nunge trying to guard the 3 when he is a 4 is dumb by Fran.

Well like I said, his last play of the season was him getting completely embarrassed by Mo Wagner. He dribbled around him like he wasn't even there. Mo Wagner isn't a 3 either. Fran took him out and he never again saw the court.

Well know fact skinny tall white guys bloom way late at Iowa...and there is another one coming soon.....

I firmly disagree. Maybe it was because he was playing out of position that you thought that.

Jack was 8th on the team in minutes played but ranked T-3 in steals and 2nd in blocked shots. Of the regulars he ranked 2nd in Defensive Box +/- and 3rd in Defensive rating.

I’ve said in a few other threads, but I believe if Jack plays his natural spot of the 4 next season, he will be our best defensive player.

Also Garza and Cook won’t get 30 minutes because they won’t be able to stay out of foul trouble that long.

I don't disagree, I just don't see how Nunge gets that many minutes playing the 4 or the 5. Garza and Cook are going to get 27+ minutes each next year. Factor in 15 minutes for Pemsl (for some reason), 10 minutes for Kriener and Wagner...there's not that much left.

Meanwhile Baer became a massive liability at the 3 this year. Maybe Wieskamp can take some of those minutes next year, but the 3 seems like the best place for Nunge to get minutes.