Not throwing in the towel just yet

Got to admire your optimism, but mentioning this Iowa team and the NCAA tourney in the same sentence is lunacy. (unless that sentence says that Iowa has 0% chance to play in the NCAA tourney.)
Teams lose head scratching early season games all the time and end up in the dance. I’m not saying Iowa is one of those teams, but I’m not saying they can’t be either. Maybe their deficiencies are too much to overcome. Like I said we will find out more about this team in the weeks to come.

If you’re so certain they are going to be terrible and have absolutely zero chance to make the tournament I would suggest to just not watch the games. Save yourself the heartache.

Going back to the original statement it is too premature to bail out on the team or the season. I do think the fact that DePaul had three games under their belt influenced the outcome. The first ten minutes of the second half provided a better assessment period than the first half or the last 10 minutes of the second half. In that 10 minute period Iowa was able to hang with DePaul and occasionally cut into the lead. I discount the last ten minutes where Iowa did cut the lead but the game intensity dropped off.

I hope Conner M and Joe T get on the floor together. Connor has the toughness attitude that I wish I could see in Joe W. These guys need to use their fouls. Kreiners not afraid to mix it up. Nunge needs to get aggressive.

If your goal was to find posts of me "ripping on Cook" you did a terrible job. When I saw all those quotes I thought "this might not look good". But then I read them and they were all fine. Especially the ones that I actually remember the context. Like the one guessing on if we will be better or worse and I laid out how both were possible. The one that said "winning players" even said that Cook was probably on the winning side slightly.

I had no goal, I did a search for what you had said about Cook, and these popped up. Heck one of the most interesting things you said was the Nunge could play the 3 being 25 pounds heavier now. All I will say is we couldn't have more polar opposite opinions on BB PC.

I had no goal, I did a search for what you had said about Cook, and these popped up. Heck one of the most interesting things you said was the Nunge could play the 3 being 25 pounds heavier now. All I will say is we couldn't have more polar opposite opinions on BB PC.

I'd like to see that post. I don't remember saying that or thinking that at all. We are far from polar opposites. You are just blinded by your hatred for "Cook bashing" right now and are attacking someone who mentioned one small thing that you probably agree with if you weren't so concerned with fighting the good fight.

I'm getting less and less concerned about the other night after watching other scores. Like Jon Miller said once, it takes time to get back into the basketball mindset.
NW lost at home to Merrimack and bounced back to beat Providence.

Wisconsin was losing for much of the 1H last night against McNeese, had some struggles with Eastern Illinois and lost to St Mary’s. Rutgers has struggled with Drexel and Bryant. Purdue and Minny both have two losses, granted to P5 teams but nonetheless losses.

Remember the one year Iowa lost their exhibition game to St Norbert I believe they ended up dancing that year.

I'd like to see that post. I don't remember saying that or thinking that at all. We are far from polar opposites. You are just blinded by your hatred for "Cook bashing" right now and are attacking someone who mentioned one small thing that you probably agree with if you weren't so concerned with fighting the good fight.

I am not blinded by anything. I think lots of Hawk players get a false narrative that somehow takes over by Hawk fans. Cook is just one of many.

I'll have to dig for that Nunge quote. I think it was something about he COULD play the 3, or has 3 man skills, or some such stuff. I just thought to myself where in the heck do you see 3 man skills? Is it because he is super slow, and can't dribble the ball? I mean just cause a guy can shoot the 3 doesn't give them guard/wing skills.

Wisconsin was losing for much of the 1H last night against McNeese, had some struggles with Eastern Illinois and lost to St Mary’s. Rutgers has struggled with Drexel and Bryant. Purdue and Minny both have two losses, granted to P5 teams but nonetheless losses.

Remember the one year Iowa lost their exhibition game to St Norbert I believe they ended up dancing that year.

I totally agree, it could be a one off, and I even brought up the Bryant game last year. Sure we won that game, but like by 6, and we looked awful. I hope that is the case.

I am not blinded by anything. I think lots of Hawk players get a false narrative that somehow takes over by Hawk fans. Cook is just one of many.

I'll have to dig for that Nunge quote. I think it was something about he COULD play the 3, or has 3 man skills, or some such stuff. I just thought to myself where in the heck do you see 3 man skills? Is it because he is super slow, and can't dribble the ball? I mean just cause a guy can shoot the 3 doesn't give them guard/wing skills.

Well believe me when I say this now. I so NO 3 man skills in Nunge.

I totally agree, it could be a one off, and I even brought up the Bryant game last year. Sure we won that game, but like by 6, and we looked awful. I hope that is the case.

The guys have a long climb ahead. But it sounds like they have the right attitude with all these stories about staying so late they turn the lights out on them. I still believe we all parts necessary to be a really tough team. It's just a matter of how quickly and how well they can come together.

Agaustina I believe it was. We also needed a huge comeback against Garner Webb one year. List to Nebraska Omaha bad. Memphis had their way with us and best us on a good shooting night and with Jok putting up 40. Fran's teams have horrible losses all the time and almost always have respectable seasons after the first year. With last year being the one exception.

I tell you what has me scared for Iowa hoops. This new trend of any player with a pulse leaving early to go pro. Teams like Iowa are going to get screwed by that pretty bad probably. This year was supposed to be a good year but we lose our best player. We are already assuming we will lose Wieskamp early. It's going to be tough to compete if we lose out on the senior years of all of our good players. Imagine not having Marble, White, Uthoff, and Jok for their senior years. Last year might have been Fran's first tournament appearance.

The guys have a long climb ahead. But it sounds like they have the right attitude with all these stories about staying so late they turn the lights out on them. I still believe we all parts necessary to be a really tough team. It's just a matter of how quickly and how well they can come together.

I think this season is going to come down to how fast can Joe T force himself into this lineup. Hopefully by the beginning of Dec. Joe will be starting and playing 25+ MPG.

More of a stretch 5.

Found it.

I know it's made fun of (and rightfully so) about Fran thinking Nunge could play the 3. But truth be told, he can play the 3 better than most guys his size. Now he's 2 years more experienced and 25 pounds heavier. Even if he can't play the 3 successfully, we still have a guy that's 7 foot and pretty thick with some decent 3 skills. I'm hopeful for big things from him.

Evansville beat Kentucky Tuesday night. Northwestern--after losing to Merrimack!--comes back and beats Providence.
O$U does a beatdown on Villanova. We may just be in for one of those years.

Frankly, if the Hawks play in the NIT, I won't consider a "failure", but more a hope that it keeps JW here another year. And frankly, JBo should just redshirt. Let the younger players cut their teeth this season, then bring back a fully healthy JBo next year and go for broke.

Found it.

That doesn't mean what you thought it means. I even said it was rightfully made fun of. The point was that he had enough skills to make a D1 coach think he could play the 3. Now clearly he was wrong. But that thought process came from somewhere. He was quicker, had a better shot, and was a better ball handler than most guys his height. Those are skills you need to play the 3, he just wasn't good enough at those skills to make it work. My hope was that a bigger Nunge "with some 3 man skills (that aren't good enough to actually play the 3) would be a good player. So far it hasn't translated at all. He looked more like a 3 two years ago than he does now.

Latest posts