Not throwing in the towel just yet

The football team is about 80 percent of a playoff team. Maybe higher. Not sure we have anyone starting for a final four team

JW isn’t an alpha dog, but he may need to become one. I know Fran wants to get out in transition, but this roster is made up of dudes who don’t run the floor very well.
We forced at least three live ball turnovers in the first half at half court and couldn't get a numbers advantage in transition on any of them. And we wouldn't until Joe T entered the game.

I saw more red flags last night than I can keep track of.

Last night was painful, awful, terrible, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet as it appears some might. I’m not saying people are wrong to either this could go south like two years ago just as easy as it could turn around.

Anyway early season losses do happen in college basketball. We don’t know for sure how good or not good Depaul will be. I personally think they are going to be pretty solid team and go dancing this year. I also mentioned early in the day that playing 3 games compared to Iowa’s 1 was an advantage for them, which I still believe was true.

5 of our top 11 guys who played either hadn’t played much more than a game at this level either ever, or for Nunge and Pemsl basically since 2017. That doesn’t include Bohannon who is clearly playing at something less than 100%. Depaul on the other hand had quite a bit of experience in their rotation including the 3 games played to Iowa’s 1.

So what gives me reason for optimism:

-Garza and Wieskamp played about as bad as they could. Potentially the worst game of Wieskamp’s career at Iowa. We know they can and will play better. They should both be all conference type players.

-I’m pretty high on CJF at this point. I think he’s a quality SG for us. I think compared to Moss he will be an upgrade in terms of ball handling and setting up others (we haven’t seen a ton of that just yet though). He will take some lumps just like any freshman.

-There is no way in my mind Nunge can be as bad as he’s played thus far. As I mentioned elsewhere the sample size is still small (only 25 minutes played in two games). He had some decent performances as a freshman and he didn’t just crack the starting lineup for no apparent reason. If for some reason he can’t get it figured out I think Kriener and Pemsl can be average players at that spot. They’ve got enough experience.

-Perimeter defense / team footspeed. This was the big one from last night. In my estimation if Jbo gets shut down this will improve by default. I think Toussaint, Evelyn, and Frederick can all be average defenders with at least a chance in terms of footspeed. Overall we are going to always be a slower team with Nunge, Kriener, and Pemsl playing the 4, but I don’t think it will be as bad as we saw last night if Toussaint and Evelyn get more minutes going forward.

What say you?
Little early for me to throw in the towel as painful as that was to watch.

Have not thrown in the towel at all on the season. I hope that this team is good. I want Fran to succeed at Iowa. Monday's loss more then anything was an eye opener for me w/ Fran and the future. I've always maintained that Fran is a good coach. I think you have to be to win at Iowa. He's won. But Monday was SOOO similar to the 17 season. SOOO similar. It immediately put me in the mood that season got me in. When Iowa is bad, it ruins my entire college basketball watching experience. When Iowa is decent, I watch every single team and game I can find. When Iowa gets their doors blown off I literally don't care about any other team. Which sucks cause i love college hoops. My friends consist of Creighton and Nebraska fans....when Iowa isn't in contention for the dance, I have nothing to boast about. I don't care if CU or NU are down, just that we're up.

I am hoping for the best. I can tell you that I don't want this team to fail so we can move on from Fran. I can tell you that I don't revel in the misery like a lot of people do. Ya know, the ones that can't wait to come on here and dunk on people. I don't call out any of the guys and IMO, Fran's kids being on the team is one of the smaller issues I have with the current status of the team. They are 2 ships of 13 and the juries still out on Pat and I think Connor can be serviceable.

But I'm telling ya.....if we're in store for another season like 17/18..... I just can't do it. Not with Fran. Can't continue to support him with that kind of deal. I just can't. His teams need to be good and competitive this far into his tenure. If they aren't....just like my support for the team when they are good, I will be loud AF about getting him out of town. Why? Because I want my Hawkeye hoops to be good. Period. If Fran can't accomplish it, let's get someone who can. I can sit thru a season or 2 of getting our doors blown off with hope that things will change. When it's the current staff, I feel like all I get to watch is re-runs of the worse show in the history of TV.

So.... there it is. Fran can win me or lose me here and frankly, after Monday I am leaning wayyyyy to one side.

Last edited:
Cook got nba interest by his quick step and move which was very hard to handle.

Cook has to know where he is going to be quick. That's why he can't improvise on offense or play defense. The game always seemed too quick for him. The exact opposite of Baer.

Have not thrown in the towel at all on the season. I hope that this team is good. I want Fran to succeed at Iowa. Monday's loss more then anything was an eye opener for me w/ Fran and the future. I've always maintained that Fran is a good coach. I think you have to be to win at Iowa. He's won. But Monday was SOOO similar to the 17 season. SOOO similar. It immediately put me in the mood that season got me in. When Iowa is bad, it ruins my entire college basketball watching experience. When Iowa is decent, I watch every single team and game I can find. When Iowa gets there doors blown off I literally don't care about any other team. Which sucks cause i love college hoops. My friends consist of Creighton and Nebraska fans....when Iowa isn't in contention for the dance, I have nothing to boast about. I don't care if CU or NU are down, just that we're up.

I am hoping for the best. I can tell you that I don't want this team to fail so we can move on from Fran. I can tell you that I don't revel in the misery like a lot of people do. Ya know, the ones that can't wait to come on here and dunk on people. I don't call out any of the guys and IMO, Fran's kids being on the team is one of the smaller issues I have with the current status of the team. They are 2 ships of 13 and the juries still out on Pat and I think Connor can be serviceable.

But I'm telling ya.....if we're in store for another season like 17/18..... I just can't do it. Not with Fran. Can't continue to support him with that kind of deal. I just can't. His teams need to be good and competitive this far into his tenure. If they aren't....just like my support for the team when they are good, I will be loud AF about getting him out of town. Why? Because I want my Hawkeye hoops to be good. Period. If Fran can't accomplish it, let's get someone who can. I can sit thru a season or 2 of getting our doors blown off with hope that things will change. When it's the current staff, I feel like all I get to watch is re-runs of the worse show in the history of TV.

So.... there it is. Fran can win me or lose me here and frankly, after Monday I am leaning wayyyyy to one side.

By your own words, Fran cant win you this year. You say every year he needs to make the tournament or you want him gone.

This team is very much like the football team, where there are some good players but mismatched for the style of play. The basketball team is basically playing a bunch if Nate Stanley's, save Toussaint, and Fran still wants to run up and down the floor and not play defense.

Want to play a bunch of big white guys that can shoot? Sure, it works, Wisconsin did a lot of that, but you better play defense. Want to get out on transition and out score the other team, you better get some athletes and we.dont have enough.

LOL the basketball program isn't anything like the football program.

Cook has to know where he is going to be quick. That's why he can't improvise on offense or play defense. The game always seemed too quick for him. The exact opposite of Baer.

Did you actually watch Cook for 3 years? I simply can't believe some of the stuff people say about Tyler on here. Tyler is on an NBA roster, and that ain't because the college game was "too quick" for him.

LOL the basketball program isn't anything like the football program.

The football program is currently ranked in the top 25 of the college football playoffs and has spent a lot of times in those rankings over it's first 6 seasons of existence. I know it's not rosey and great, but I don't get the constant need to compare the 2. One is very very healthy and competitive. Now, basketball may turn out to be just fine, but if you're basing it off of Monday's game, that's a dumpster fire.

The football program is currently ranked in the top 25 of the college football playoffs and has spent a lot of times in those rankings over it's first 6 seasons of existence. I know it's not rosey and great, but I don't get the constant need to compare the 2. One is very very healthy and competitive. Now, basketball may turn out to be just fine, but if you're basing it off of Monday's game, that's a dumpster fire.

If you actually believe that the ailing BB program is anything like the top 20 football program, you are either 1) Stupid or 2) a Troll.

Have not thrown in the towel at all on the season. I hope that this team is good. I want Fran to succeed at Iowa. Monday's loss more then anything was an eye opener for me w/ Fran and the future. I've always maintained that Fran is a good coach. I think you have to be to win at Iowa. He's won. But Monday was SOOO similar to the 17 season. SOOO similar. It immediately put me in the mood that season got me in. When Iowa is bad, it ruins my entire college basketball watching experience. When Iowa is decent, I watch every single team and game I can find. When Iowa gets their doors blown off I literally don't care about any other team. Which sucks cause i love college hoops. My friends consist of Creighton and Nebraska fans....when Iowa isn't in contention for the dance, I have nothing to boast about. I don't care if CU or NU are down, just that we're up.

I’m going to pick one small part out of this post because I saw you post it elsewhere. I don’t think it’s so much that the McCaffery’s are on the team. I think Pat could turn out and I’ve pretty much always maintained that Connor was a mid major player. The thing is every B1G team has mid major level players on scholarship, it happens.

I think many feel that bringing those two guys in has killed us on the recruiting trail. It’s likely every coach that we are up against in recruiting is using that against them. He’s going to play his kids over you. There was some recent stat about us not landing a player with a P5 offer since Fredrick. That’s pretty telling. So while that’s kind of a tough situation for both Fran and the two sons, it can be argued it’s a reason we are where we are today.

I’m going to pick one small part out of this post because I saw you post it elsewhere. I don’t think it’s so much that the McCaffery’s are on the team. I think Pat could turn out and I’ve pretty much always maintained that Connor was a mid major player. The thing is every B1G team has mid major level players on scholarship, it happens.

I think many feel that bringing those two guys in has killed us on the recruiting trail. It’s likely every coach that we are up against in recruiting is using that against them. He’s going to play his kids over you. There was some recent stat about us not landing a player with a P5 offer since Fredrick. That’s pretty telling. So while that’s kind of a tough situation for both Fran and the two sons, it can be argued it’s a reason we are where we are today.

Totally agree with you on Connor @NikeHawk21. I have said many time you need the kids that are ok with being role players, and not getting starting minutes. A Connor, a Kriener, a Baer, a Pemsl, etc. You need those guys.

And I get that argument and it very well could be the case. I just don't know that there's really a way to prove that. Garza, Cook, Nunge, Touissant, they've all committed to Iowa since Connor. It's a theory tho and one that I would certainly give at least some credence to. But, Fran might have came in 2nd place with these guys either way. I am sure it's used against him on the recruiting trail though, so I wouldn't really argue against that. It's not like his kids are just dominating the minutes and playing time since they arrived on campus. But I get it. It's just an argument that has no real evidence so it's hard for me to really substantiate. They are 2 players of 13 scholarships so IMO a lot of that is overblown because again, it's low hanging fruit. Either way it's Fran's bed.

Latest posts