Not The Only Ones Lacking Optimism

Every team trends up and down through time, albeit at different levels and through different time periods. Identifying recent KF led Hawkeye trends it seems to be we're ready for a bounce back season baby. The rubber ball has hit the floor and is starting to bounce up again.

Look, I'm not writing this year's team off before the season even starts, but we're currently riding a 6 game losing streak, the worst since KF's early days at Iowa. Things won't rebound just because of the "3 year pattern". The coaching staff and players are going to have to go out and earn it. Whether that happens or not, we can only wait and see.

If Iowa gets to 4-1, 5-1, 6-0, or something like that, which I don't think is that ridiculous of a prospect IF the team is indeed better this year, then I'll agree with your last statement.

Yeah, my glass is half empty, maybe less. But I thought last year's team should start 5-0 as well, so I'm in wait-and-see mode.

11-2
8-5
7-6
4-8

I'm sorry, but I don't know how you can say things aren't trending downward. I guess if you try hard enough, you can convince yourself that the sky isn't blue either - but I have to call it how I see it. That doesn't mean that this year's team won't play better than they did a year ago, but up to this point, to deny that his program has been in a downward spiral the last few years, is, well... denial.

Ok...so your thoughts then are that this years team ends up at 3-9 or 2-10...just to continue the downward spiral. Last years team was the youngest team in the Big Ten and the youngest team KF has put on the field...they were 4-2 and 2-0 in the Big Ten when Scherff and Donnal went down. I'm not saying they would have won 9 games, but they would have won at least two more. I'm looking forward at personnel, not historical records, and if you believe older and more experienced players play better and win more, well, then I'm just not sure how you can say this team is trending down. They will be better, IMO, at every position except the right corner, ie Hyde's position. That's not trending down. We aren't going into this year with nearly as many, "how the hell is he going to do" type of discussions. There are many more knowns in the trenches. Maybe I'm awash in koolaid, but I believed what I saw in East Lansing. MSU was still playing for something...the OL was coming together.

Ok...so your thoughts then are that this years team ends up at 3-9 or 2-10...just to continue the downward spiral. Last years team was the youngest team in the Big Ten and the youngest team KF has put on the field...they were 4-2 and 2-0 in the Big Ten when Scherff and Donnal went down. I'm not saying they would have won 9 games, but they would have won at least two more. I'm looking forward at personnel, not historical records, and if you believe older and more experienced players play better and win more, well, then I'm just not sure how you can say this team is trending down. They will be better, IMO, at every position except the right corner, ie Hyde's position. That's not trending down. We aren't going into this year with nearly as many, "how the hell is he going to do" type of discussions. There are many more knowns in the trenches. Maybe I'm awash in koolaid, but I believed what I saw in East Lansing. MSU was still playing for something...the OL was coming together.

New QB and Wrs. Cant run the ball if you cant even make teams think you can catch it. The Oline was okay when they lost to Central Michigan.

Youre just saying what you want to happen. A lot of people on here are just trying to forget last seasons offensive problems and think this years going to be different. If Vandenberg cant understand that offense you are going to have a ton of problems with a new QB.

That's incorrect. Indiana and Minnesota were younger.

New QB and Wrs. Cant run the ball if you cant even make teams think you can catch it. The Oline was okay when they lost to Central Michigan.

Youre just saying what you want to happen. A lot of people on here are just trying to forget last seasons offensive problems and think this years going to be different. If Vandenberg cant understand that offense you are going to have a ton of problems with a new QB.

I acknowledge and accept last years problems and I think we'll still see some issues. Questions will be answered in about 4 months.

There are two big unknowns..QB and DLine. If we get average play from these 2 I think we could be decent...but I still think 7 or so wins might be the ceiling.

I'm just saying what I want to happen? I'm saying we have a ton of young talent returning (with some experience) on the OL...and prior to the injuries, the OL was starting to get their groove. They pushed Central Michigan, Minnesota, and MSU around. The win at MSU was because our OL kept a very good defense at bay, and Weisman rushed for over 100yds. That entire line, minus Tobin, is back...a year older and stronger...plus more depth. That's trending up.

Our defense wasn't the reason we lost the last 6 games. It was because our offense couldn't move the damn ball because our OL was decimated...and guys weren't ready to step up. The DL wasn't that bad outside of the inability to get a pass rush. This year, guess what, we return a ton of young talent and we have a few guys that look like they are ready to step in as well (Ekatite / Johnson / Ott / Hardy). We lost one guy that is going to really hurt on D...Hyde. How's that not trending up.

In any good offense you need an offensive line that can dictate what its going to do, execute it even when you know it's coming. After game 6 last year, we didn't have the experience with a couple of guys playing out of position to dictate anything on offense. That's going to change and it helps the defense tremendously. Honestly, people have us losing at Minnesota...I just don't see that happening if we are healthy. Their defense is horrible and we are going to run the ball up their arses.

Youre just saying what you want to happen. A lot of people on here are just trying to forget last seasons offensive problems and think this years going to be different. If Vandenberg cant understand that offense you are going to have a ton of problems with a new QB.[/QUOTE]

And you're just saying what you think will happen. It isn't any different except he's more optimistic. Don't act like you know something everyone else doesn't.

Vandenberg is a very intelligent young man. However, even if he was comfortable with the offense going into last season (which I don't think he was no matter what he or GD said) that doesn't mean the rest of the offense was. His intelligence doesn't have anything to do with his split second decision making ability when the play breaks down. His intelligence doesn't have anything to do with what route his WR's decide to run 10-15 yards down the field. Davis said himself that his offense has already been opened up more since last season because the players are more comfortable.

Most importantly his intelligence doesn't have anything to do with the intelligence of the 3 QB's battling for the starting spot right now. Heck, I'm pretty sure Jake Rudock is in the same realm as James academically if intelligence is what you're measuring. Is James smarter than they are, maybe. But they've had a lot more time to adjust to the system before being thrown into the frying pan and so have their receivers. Not to mention, one of the current guys might have a much better ability to make decisions on the fly in order to make plays when things break down. James was awful at that. It will also help tremendously to have formations with different combinations of Weisman, Bullock, Canzeri, CJF, Hamilton, KMM, T. Smith, and J. Cotton. While there isn't one player there who is a superstar there is a lot of differing types of talent that the defenses will need to account for. Injuries and lack of preparation put a huge dent into that capability last year.

My point is, you don't know anymore than anyone else so to act like you're up on your soap box preaching to people who are being optimistic is a bit much. You don't know what's going to happen anymore than the next fan. I sensed some quiet optimism from the players and coaches that were interviewed yesterday. Is that natural? Of course it is, but there's no reason to rule the team out before we actually see them on the field.

Last edited:

Youre just saying what you want to happen. A lot of people on here are just trying to forget last seasons offensive problems and think this years going to be different. If Vandenberg cant understand that offense you are going to have a ton of problems with a new QB.[/QUOTE]

And you're just saying what you think will happen. It isn't any different except he's more optimistic. Don't act like you know something everyone else doesn't.

Vandenberg is a very intelligent young man. However, even if he was comfortable with the offense going into last season (which I don't think he was no matter what he or GD said) that doesn't mean the rest of the offense was. His intelligence doesn't have anything to do with his split second decision making ability when the play breaks down. His intelligence doesn't have anything to do with what route his WR's decide to run 10-15 yards down the field. Davis said himself that his offense has already been opened up more since last season because the players are more comfortable.

Most importantly his intelligence doesn't have anything to do with the intelligence of the 3 QB's battling for the starting spot right now. Heck, I'm pretty sure Jake Rudock is in the same realm as James academically if intelligence is what you're measuring. Is James smarter than they are, maybe. But they've had a lot more time to adjust to the system before being thrown into the frying pan and so have their receivers. Not to mention, one of the current guys might have a much better ability to make decisions on the fly in order to make plays when things break down. James was awful at that. It will also help tremendously to have formations with different combinations of Weisman, Bullock, Canzeri, CJF, Hamilton, KMM, T. Smith, and J. Cotton. While there isn't one player there who is a superstar there is a lot of differing types of talent that the defenses will need to account for. Injuries and lack of preparation put a huge dent into that capability last year.

My point is, you don't know anymore than anyone else so to act like you're up on your soap box preaching to people who are being optimistic is a bit much. You don't know what's going to happen anymore than the next fan. I sensed some quiet optimism from the players and coaches that were interviewed yesterday. Is that natural? Of course it is, but there's no reason to rule the team out before we actually see them on the field.

I like optimism so keep it rolling. My question for you is what makes you think this year will be any different regarding the bolded comment? Injuries and lack or preparation always have been a problem, even when Iowa has good years. What do you see so far this spring that makes you think they won't be a problem again.

I'm just saying what I want to happen? I'm saying we have a ton of young talent returning (with some experience) on the OL...and prior to the injuries, the OL was starting to get their groove. They pushed Central Michigan, Minnesota, and MSU around. The win at MSU was because our OL kept a very good defense at bay, and Weisman rushed for over 100yds. That entire line, minus Tobin, is back...a year older and stronger...plus more depth. That's trending up.

Our defense wasn't the reason we lost the last 6 games. It was because our offense couldn't move the damn ball because our OL was decimated...and guys weren't ready to step up. The DL wasn't that bad outside of the inability to get a pass rush. This year, guess what, we return a ton of young talent and we have a few guys that look like they are ready to step in as well (Ekatite / Johnson / Ott / Hardy). We lost one guy that is going to really hurt on D...Hyde. How's that not trending up.

In any good offense you need an offensive line that can dictate what its going to do, execute it even when you know it's coming. After game 6 last year, we didn't have the experience with a couple of guys playing out of position to dictate anything on offense. That's going to change and it helps the defense tremendously. Honestly, people have us losing at Minnesota...I just don't see that happening if we are healthy. Their defense is horrible and we are going to run the ball up their arses.

Just because a couple guys are back from injury does not mean we are "trending up." And because we have "a lot of young talent" (every team does) does not mean we are trending up.

Trending means a series of results over time. Over time, the results of the Hawkeye football program are in a definite downward spiral. How this isn't obvious to some is baffling.

I acknowledge and accept last years problems and I think we'll still see some issues. Questions will be answered in about 4 months.

There are two big unknowns..QB and DLine. If we get average play from these 2 I think we could be decent...but I still think 7 or so wins might be the ceiling.

The BIG unknown is the WR group. Actually, it is a known - they cannot catch. We are going to have to rely on the 5+ newcomers to have any type of passing game. And using a read system, that is not going to be good situation to be in.... You cannot just have TE and call it a passing game.... the QB position will be judged by how good the WRs do(gulp)... as for the DL, they will get better throughout the season. They will not be the same group by the end of the year. That group will go from below average to good(not great), by the end of the season.

I like optimism so keep it rolling. My question for you is what makes you think this year will be any different regarding the bolded comment? Injuries and lack or preparation always have been a problem, even when Iowa has good years. What do you see so far this spring that makes you think they won't be a problem again.

Fair question and good point. I haven't seen anything this spring besides all of the press conference and player interviews. I'm not sure if I'll make it to the spring game on Saturday because it's a bit of a drive for me. Thinking about it now though because it's actually a full scrimmage!

As far as your question goes... I'm optimistic by nature. Although injuries have plagued Iowa so much that it's becoming a trend, I just can't see how they could possibly suffer the same number of injuries at the same position yet again. So I'm just counting on luck bouncing our way in that dept. this year. So far so good (knocking on wood right now).

My comment about lack of preparation was more in regards to trying to learn a new offense. Greg Davis said in his interview yesterday that the ability for the WR's to adjust their 12-15 yard patterns based on how they read the defense is only something that can fine tuned by reps, reps, and more reps. So essentially last year every WR was a freshmen regardless of the amount of experience they had. I think that showed up on the field. When James was rushed or flushed out of the pocket he panicked. He didn't know whether or not he could count on the WR's who were running deep routes to actually be on the same page as him so he constantly bailed out and threw it underneath. The QB's and WR's have had a lot more reps in the offense this year. Although the QB's reps haven't been in a live game.

In general, I believe KF is a great teacher. I think he has the ability to bring people together. We all know he has shown the ability to create a team that surprises people. Sounds like Marshall Yanda was at practice yesterday and gave the team a pep talk. I sense some optimism out of the players that I didn't really feel last year, and it sounds like the coaches have acknowledged things that needed to change. Whether or not we see a difference on the field remains to be seen. Ultimately I have to see it to believe it. Hopefully Saturday will give us all a nice little peek.

Iowa will be 6-0 and ranked when they head to Columbus on October 19.

Where do you get your drugs? Seriously. PM me.

And by the way, whar CAARHAWK telling us that everything will be ok next season due to the 3 year up/down trend for the billionth time?

I love the optimism from some of you guys, but seriously, let's be realistic.

1. Some of you keep bringing up that we were good until we lost a lot on the O-line since we beat Minnesota and MSU. Newsflash- we beat those teams because they were horrible last season.

2. We'll have a brand new QB who doesn't have ANY real gametime experience in a major college football game. I know that it probably can't get much worse than last season, but do you really think it'll be that much better?

3. Greg Davis is our offensive coordinator, 'nuff said.

4. We have the most conservative, stubborn HC in the nation, conservative to a fault actually. That works great when you have a dominating defense and Norm Parker. We don't have either of those anymore.

I want to be optimistic about this upcoming season, but I just can't find it. I have lost all of my faith in Kirk Ferentz. I think the game passed him by a few years ago, especially with his inexplicable refusal to have a innovative offense that scores points.

Last edited:

And by the way, whar CAARHAWK telling us that everything will be ok next season due to the 3 year up/down trend for the billionth time?

I love the optimism from some of you guys, but seriously, let's be realistic.

1. Some of you keep bringing up that we were good until we lost a lot on the O-line since we beat Minnesota and MSU. Newsflash- we beat those teams because they were horrible last season.

2. We'll have a brand new QB who doesn't have ANY real gametime experience in a major college football game. I know that it probably can't get much worse than last season, but do you really think it'll be that much better?

3. Greg Davis is our offensive coordinator, 'nuff said.

4. We have the most conservative, stubborn HC in the nation, conservative to a fault actually. That works great when you have a dominating defense and Norm Parker. We don't have either of those anymore.

I want to be optimistic about this upcoming season, but I just can't find it. I have lost all of my faith in Kirk Ferentz. I think the game passed him by a few years ago, especially with his inexplicable refusal to have a innovative offense that scores points.

Well since we are using numbers:

1) I understand what you are saying about Minnesota...they were terrible and we ran the ball all over them...like we should have. I completely disagree with you on MSU. They lost to OSU by 1, Michigan by 2, Nebraska by 4, Iowa in OT, and NW by 3. The other loss was ND. If you watched their games, they couldn't catch anything. Their receivers had as many drops as Iowa...or more. A dropped pass, especially on 3rd down is like a turnover...most people just don't get how crippling that is. Iowa controlled the line of scrimmage against MSU and Weisman ran for over a hundred and it was all earned the hard way. When you discount those injuries it makes me wonder what games you were watching. Guess what, Scherff was playing at an All-American level...and most likely will be a high first rounder. Yeah, losing that doesn't hurt you...it's that the other team sucks....nice logic.

2) Has Iowa ever had a first year QB play well? Hmmm...Tate, Banks, Hartlieb, and Long come to mind. It can happen. Rudock didn't play at a small school Iowa HS...he played with a much higher caliber of HS competition and he excelled. It's not out of the realm that he can manage a game, limit turnovers, and make enough plays. Guess what, he will have a great running game...that makes a huge difference.

3) I get the Greg Davis stuff...the jury is still out there in a big way. That being said, that offense after game six was playing with a swing gate on the left side of the line...with a running game and protection...things have a way of looking much different. I'm optimistic.

4) People ****** and moaned about his coaching staff and now he's made changes. How about giving it another year? I think he's earned that. Aside from Davis, where the jury is still out, all the hires he's made, Reid, Kennedy, BF, White, and others are very good hires. We have improved recruiting, IMO, based on who we have out their competing for talent. This will pay dividends.

I understand your pessimism, but in my humble opinion, we've turned a corner and if we can stay relatively healthy, this is going to be a much better football team than last year.

Yep, just know there are some on here that will not admit this about him even when he's fired.

FreedComanche

Yep, just know there are some on here that will not admit this about him even when he's fired.

FreedComanche

Nor will some acknowledge he may not be as bad of a coach as they say...if the hawks improve....

Its all a mystery...

Latest posts