Not enough Ferentzes

It was quick because it should have been handled this way from the start. It really is no big deal, however KF should have seen this coming and been smarter.

I agree that Barta doesn't need to know everyone's personal business, but this is something completely different and KF should have seen that. This was something that should have never ever gotten to this level.

No conflict-of-interest review was done for Barnes, even after his engagement. Ferentz said he didn’t think he needed to tell Athletics Director Gary Barta about the change in Barnes’s personal status.

“I didn’t see any reason to,” Ferentz told The Gazette/KCRG.

KF should have been much smarter about this. Sorry but that is the Truth. Like I said no big deal. Ferentz doesn't report to anyone, I guess..

Thank you for common sense...

this is a non story....if we were winning. But alas, we did not last year so this kind of non-story becomes yum yum for the haters.

I believe BF was a good hire...if his name was different no one would question it.

The KF haters do have some decent reasons for the hate, and wanting a change, although I think he is still capable of turning things around. This stuff is a little dumb.

Idk this guy from a ham sammich but $38,000 to handle the twitter account and what were his 2 majors? A few years ago I always saw him at Spoco working so this is news to me.

This is such a non story ... Well, anywhere outside of Iowa this is a non story. So what ... a kid is hired for $32,000 a year doing grunt work ... Now if Kirk hired him as a coach (with no credentials) then we might have a story. It's the local media trying to pretend it is real journalists ...

Lute could coach is one big difference

A dirty secret of Iowa basketball is that a lot of donors and alums didn't mind seeing Lute Olson leave in 1983, due to his "inability to win the big game". For example:

On March 15, 1981, the Hawkeyes led Wichita State 36-25 at halftime of the second round of the NCAA Tournament. But Wichita State rallied to outscored Iowa 35-20 in the second half to beat the Hawkeyes 60-56. Iowa had the ball with 17 seconds left and the score tied 56-56. Iowa Coach Lute Olson then called a timeout, which the Hawkeyes didn’t have. The Shockers converted and scored the game’s final four points. It cost Iowa the game and its season. Live from Cancun: Iowa vs. Wichita State notes | TheGazette

They pretended otherwise, of course, after Lute turned Arizona into a perennial power and national champion.

A dirty secret of Iowa basketball is that a lot of donors and alums didn't mind seeing Lute Olson leave in 1983, due to his "inability to win the big game". For example:

They pretended otherwise, of course, after Lute turned Arizona into a perennial power and national champion.

I dont think thats a secret Billso, But you right they tuned out to be wrong

All this is a none story. The time out isn't what beat Iowa. Carr and Livingston took care of that. The time out sealed the deal. Without the timeout the game was over really anyway do to rules then. People remember what they want to.

As far as boosters wanting Olson gone, that is really silly. Yes they lost to Toledo and yes they lost to WSU. And they lost to Idaho. That was by no means a sign of not winning the "big" game.

The problem was that everyone thought the Big 10 was so strong that little sisters couldn't beat the Big Ten....wrong. Iowa didn't have an answer for Carr and Livingston. That is why they lost. As big a fan I was of Olson, Fran seems to beat him hands down on ft coaching.

Olson left because of personal reasons and living in Iowa City was too personal. I never saw a guy look so relieved after a loss as after the Villanova loss. Not knowing anything, I told people....he looks like he's checked out of IC.

Iowa lost a lot of class when they lost Olson and Fry.

I have no idea how some of this stuff gets started.
About as silly as the way people complain about the Toledo loss. Right call. Wrong guy. Lute did play into it though and was one of his biggest pr mistakes at Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scanned, but didn't fully read, the entire thread and didn't see this posted. If it was, I apologize in advance. Adam Jacobi at Bleacher Report totally lays Ferentz and his seeming nepotism out flat:

Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz Needs to Stop Hiring Family | Bleacher Report

It seems pretty cut-and-dried that in a highly competitive field like college football, the one overriding impetus for all coaches is to win by any means necessary. Sure, there are rules handed down by the NCAA to corral some of that behavior, which gives us a nice framework within which the coaches can operate, but their motivation remains the same: win, win, win.

That philosophy informs every move these coaches make, including—one would think—the hiring of their assistants. You hire what you believe to be the best, most qualified staff possible and go from there. On the flip side, then, to eschew qualifications for other personal concerns seems almost antithetical to the win-at-all-costs mentality, and that doesn't seem like a great way to keep a good record.

All of which is to say, Kirk Ferentz should probably chill out on this whole "hiring the family" business.

Ferentz named his son (and former Hawkeye center) Brian Ferentz the offensive line coach prior to the 2012 season, and while Brian had the qualification of having been a member of the New England Patriots coaching staff, it still raised some eyebrows in Iowa City. Eventually, Iowa athletic director Gary Barta issued a less-than-plausible statement saying that he, not Kirk, had pursued and hired Brian. The credulity, it is strained.

Iowa's offensive line struggled in 2012, but largely due to injury (which you can't really lay at a coach's feet), so it's way too soon to start drawing conclusions about that hire. Plus, Kirk Ferentz won't be firing his son anytime soon. Did we say Kirk Ferentz? We meant Gary Barta. What a typo that was.

Fresh off that hiring, Ferentz decided to go "future family" up in here, and hired an administrative assistant who just so happens to be engaged to his daughter. He saw no problem with this...

...The one thing working in Barnes' favor is that he's been involved with the program in various low-level assistant jobs for a while now. This will be his fifth year at Iowa, according to the Iowa staff page (his official bio says fourth, but that's as of the 2012 season). And sure enough, he's now going to report to a member of the sports information department to avoid any conflict of interest. So his job's probably safe.

But look. That's two very recent hiring decisions by Ferentz that have prompted the university's attention and forced extraordinary supervising decisions to avoid a conflict of interest. The school can't keep doing this just to keep its head coach happy—especially when the football team's trotting out there and losing to the likes of Central Michigan and Indiana.

Ouch.

zing! brilliant. So could KF but now he can't i guess....

be mad all you want about the last couple seasons...I am too...but offer something new for cripes sakes.

We learned Norm was holding the program together and that KOK was a lot better than most thought. KF is not a good coach and people are finally seeing that.

Your post and Your conclusion are
BS

Last edited:
Your post and Your conclusion are
BS

No clue what influential people thought back then but there was (as I recall) a great deal of frustration when Iowa couldn't get over the hump a win a championship. Lute too, was frustrated it seemed to me (from way afar). I had a friend with the same name as a starter on the team in those days and the hateful calls this poor innocent guy would get was something else. It just wasn't working out. Iowa basketball was the highest rated show on TV in the state and I think Lute decided to change scenery.

No clue what influential people thought back then but there was (as I recall) a great deal of frustration when Iowa couldn't get over the hump a win a championship. Lute too, was frustrated it seemed to me (from way afar). I had a friend with the same name as a starter on the team in those days and the hateful calls this poor innocent guy would get was something else. It just wasn't working out. Iowa basketball was the highest rated show on TV in the state and I think Lute decided to change scenery.

Change scenery, yes he did. Not working out? 79 - Tied 1st. 80 - final 4 No.. 81 - 1 game out of first. 82- two games out of first. 83 2 games out of first. That's just not working out. Before losing in 83 didn't they soundly beat a Mizzou team that was a title contender?

Scanned, but didn't fully read, the entire thread and didn't see this posted. If it was, I apologize in advance. Adam Jacobi at Bleacher Report totally lays Ferentz and his seeming nepotism out flat:

Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz Needs to Stop Hiring Family | Bleacher Report

Bleacher Report? Really?

julien-shaking-head.gif

Latest posts