North Endzone Construction

Yeah that didn't look good. Was that mud or muddy water on the field coming from the tunnel? Or just a weird reflection in the picture?

Look it wouldn't be the first time a construction project got screwed up at the U.

Jon or Rob have you been in the north endzone yet? It almost looks like those seats in the lower corners are obstructed by the brick wall of the existing stadium. People gonna have to stand to see?

I am excited about the noise it should generate. I was at the Michigan game when Harbaugh and Schembechler exploited that stupid crowd noise rule. Can't wait for him to return as a coach on that end of the field.

But architecturally the new endzone looks odd and really crammed in there. Looks out of place with East- West stands. Nothing special to the eye IMO.

These field turf systems aren't supposed to do that. I'm thinking the drainage system got altered somehow during construction. I could definitely be wrong though.
Anyone who has ever seen a shitty contractor work can tell you what probably happened. The concrete guys likely poured their waste water in the drainage system and some concrete solidified down there. This happens with concrete, paint and grout all the time when you hire a shitty contractor. You have to watch their every move because they will have no qualms about pouring excess product or wastewater in the nearest drain. You ain't gonna be able to just snake that shit out, either.

Last edited:
I was at the Michigan game when Harbaugh and Schembechler exploited that stupid crowd noise rule. Can't wait for him to return as a coach on that end of the field.
Well, some jackass rejiggered the Big Ten so Michigan ain't coming back to IC until like 2022 or some shit and I wouldn't count on Harbaugh still being their coach by then unless he can find a QB who ain't some warshed up transfer.

If I was the AD, I'd have one person that's knowledgeable in this area assigned to observe construction every single day. I would think this would actually be standard, but I really don't know much about this topic. Am I wrong?
I don't know if it's possible to do that. You never know what happened, but given that quantity of water, it sure looks like the drain is backed up and a reasonable inference would be that they poured shit into the drainage system. Hopefully the school has a good contract in place so if that is what happened and they are looking at significant repairs they can claw back some serious money from the contractor or against the bond or surety. Given the size of that project there were probably hundreds of guys working on it and it only takes one screw up for something like this to happen.

I don't want to denigrate all the guys working there because doing a project this size between November and August is a massive undertaking and they did a helluva job.

Anyone who has ever seen a shitty contractor work can tell you what probably happened. The concrete guys likely poured their waste water in the drainage system and some concrete solidified down there. This happens with concrete, paint and grout all the time when you hire a shitty contractor. You have to watch their every move because they will have no qualms about pouring excess product or wastewater in the nearest drain. You ain't gonna be able to just snake that shit out, either.
I think that's probably exactly what happened. May need to call Roto-Rooter and send them the bill.

I think that's probably exactly what happened. May need to call Roto-Rooter and send them the bill.
Someone might have forgot to turn on the system, too. Or maybe it was just too much rain at once. Although I think that system has historically been able to handle anything. There was torrential rain during that Tennessee game a few years ago and though they stopped the game, the field didn't flood.

Someone might have forgot to turn on the system, too. Or maybe it was just too much rain at once. Although I think that system has historically been able to handle anything. There was torrential rain during that Tennessee game a few years ago and though they stopped the game, the field didn't flood.
Could be. It might even be remnants of the massive turd that OSU laid in Kinnick last year that caused the clog. ;)

And of course, the ISU game in 2008 relied on a ton of scrambling in the days leading up to the game. Hopefully, though, this gets corrected with minimal "intrusion"...

I thought that 2008 game was the one that made them upgrade the system.

That, and the fact there was huge flooding that year to begin with. But, they managed to get the field ready by game time. Well enough for Jake Christensen to lead the team to a go-ahead TD, and for Brodell to house that punt return, anyway.

Latest posts