North Endzone Construction

I remember when the student section was in that North end zone, above and to the left of where the band used to sit. Botas, body passing, the scramble section (a big dogpile in the bleachers after every score) those were great times. When Harbaugh kept complaining about crowd noise in 1985 he was going toward that North end zone every time. The students were just beyond the end line.

Another venue with a steep upper level is the soon to be replaced Milwaukee Bradley Center. I've been to a couple Bucks games there. Iowa played Marquette there about three years ago.

I was in that section for that 1985 Michigan game (actually, ALL the games). Much as I hated it, the Harbaugh "flip pass" TD to Gerald White was pretty cool to see. Harbaugh still sucks, though.

This gives a nice impression of the size:

Dk14eB1UUAAVAlU.jpg:large

Does anybody else think the next step would be to close in the gaps on the South end zone corners?
I'd like to see a photo shop of that.

Does anybody else think the next step would be to close in the gaps on the South end zone corners?

The main problem is,they f-ed up the angle of the South End Zone. The "fill in " seats...were they to do such a thing...would have terrible site lines. It should have been constructed steeper and tighter...similar to the North end zone...and fully enclosed. Still can't believe how they choked on this project.

Last edited:

I certainly hope not. I am a big fan of the south end zone, though I am aware of the critics. I love having the walkway and the open areas similar to the Alamo Bowl and the Outback Bowl. Fans can watch the warmups, up close; we often stand around on the open areas and visit about the game at hand. There are some concessions available in these areas. When Kinnick starts to serve beer, we will be sitting out on these concourses enjoying the day, as we can do in the stadiums mentioned above. I have said this before, and understand that many disagree, but I do not like very steep seating in football stadiums. If, IF, they have railing to assist those of us who are senior citizens, then, OK. In the south end zone, I have that advantage. They need to do the same in the north end.

The price tag on this project should absolutely include a black and gold Hawkeye cover over that large incomplete scoreboard eyesore on game days....

Kind of like the guy/gal who "chases" a shot by spitting most of it back into an empty beer bottle. Oldest trick in the book.

The guy who foiled the ruse you mentioned must have felt like James Bond when he discovered that Goldfinger's henchwoman was reading his opponent's card hand via binoculars and relaying this information via hidden earpiece.

Kind of how I fake inhaling/ingesting significant quantities of totes legit weed when I'm in Rocky Mountain High country.

Allegedly.

I certainly hope not. I am a big fan of the south end zone, though I am aware of the critics. I love having the walkway and the open areas similar to the Alamo Bowl and the Outback Bowl. Fans can watch the warmups, up close; we often stand around on the open areas and visit about the game at hand. There are some concessions available in these areas. When Kinnick starts to serve beer, we will be sitting out on these concourses enjoying the day, as we can do in the stadiums mentioned above. I have said this before, and understand that many disagree, but I do not like very steep seating in football stadiums. If, IF, they have railing to assist those of us who are senior citizens, then, OK. In the south end zone, I have that advantage. They need to do the same in the north end.
I sure hope the U is smart enough not to have “retirement home” in mind when they’re considering updates to facilities.

Football games should be raucous, somewhat rowdy, loud as hell, and give the best view possible to each seat. It should not be about how best to accommodate blue hairs, it should be about how best to create excitement and a hostile environment for the away team.

Last edited:
I sure hope the U is smart enough not to have “retirement home” in mind when they’re considering updates to facilities.

Football games should be raucous, somewhat rowdy, loud as hell, and give the best view possible to each seat. It should not be about how best to accommodate blue hairs, it should be about how best to create excitement and a hostile environment for the away team.

I get that you want Matlock on the jumbotron in between quarters, but a time comes when you make yourself adapt to the situation rather than expecting it to stay the same for your sake.

I love live music and concerts, and do you know why I stopped going to heavy metal concerts? Because I’m too goddamn old for that and I wouldn’t be able to walk for a week after being on the floor at 38 years old. I accept that I had my good run and I happily encourage the young folks to get out there and do some slammin.

Same thing with that football stadium. I want it to be in your face, loud as hell, and a place that other schools don’t want to come to. When I get too old to handle the stairs or the environment I’ll stop going to games.
You just never quit.

Latest posts