NORM! Chant: Officially Embraced by Iowa

This from the HR thread that this thing initiated from. The kid that made the facebook page just posted this:

Message I received

"Hello there, I'm Norm's daughter Suzy. This chant idea is fantastic. Thank you for cheering Norm on and promoting this chant. It's sure to lift his spirits."

Awesome!

As the release said, there are third down traditions Iowa has, and things they do to amp up the noise. I think its a good idea to leave those alone. Iowa is embracing something the fans came up with. i dont think its a bad thing. And the more the word gets out the next day or so, it won't be a fail.

Everyone just do their part. I am doing a standup in the morning for the BTN pregame show, and I will try to work in the mention there as well as my sports casts tomorrow on WHO...so we all do our part, and it works fine.

Aside from the 'Noise Dial' Graphic that plays on the JumboTron can anyone name what those traditions are? I've hit 90% of the home games since KF was named coach and no third down traditions come to my mind.

Aside from the 'Noise Dial' Graphic that plays on the JumboTron can anyone name what those traditions are? I've hit 90% of the home games since KF was named coach and no third down traditions come to my mind.

You don't count "the chop" and the playing the Emperors March as tradition? Surely these things are not to be trifled with. :D

This has fail written all over it.

Facebook group with over 6,000 people along with thousands of message board readers from the last 3 days have all been told 3rd down.

University sends an email to season ticket holders saying 1st down.

FAIL

I remember the Black n Gold game had fail written all over it as well by some posters. We all know how that turned out.:D

It's the advertisements Pez.

Of course it is, but I don't consider those 'traditions'...the cool thing is the crowd will do what it wants too...Iowa Corn Growers, Coke and Quad Cities Airport be damned...lol

Honestly I said this elsewhere, but Klatt and Co. could screw up a wet dream. An organic/grass roots movement comes up with an idea that blows them out of the water and rather then embracing it, they quasi-embrace it and try to put conditions on it and make it their own.

How about everyone whisper "Norm" as Wisconsin comes onto the field instead of booing.;)

And another message from His Daughter:

Another from her

"I hope he hears that in droves on Saturday. Thank you again, my whole family is so touched by this."

Its not a good idea to try chanting anything on 3rd downs. That down is for pure noise...after all if the fans want to make a difference in the game it would be best to interrupt Wisconsin's ability to hear anything on the field. Especially on 3rd down. The Norm chant as they break the huddle on 1st down is a better idea.

Its not a good idea to try chanting anything on 3rd downs. That down is for pure noise...after all if the fans want to make a difference in the game it would be best to interrupt Wisconsin's ability to hear anything on the field. Especially on 3rd down. The Norm chant as they break the huddle on 1st down is a better idea.

This...

I love the idea of a Norm chant but I absolutely cringe at the idea of no noise on Wisconsin 3rd down plays. Kinnick has had a rich history of the crowd making a difference because of the noise. Especially during 2:30 games.

I agree with this to an extent...but it just annoys me that the University has to put their sticky paws on this.

This reeks of Rick Klatt getting wind of this about 2 hours before they put out the release and realizing some random on Facebook is outperforming him and his department at their job, so he jumps into it, so not to offend the Learfield folks ( who sell advertising at the stadium).

This...

I love the idea of a Norm chant but I absolutely cringe at the idea of no noise on Wisconsin 3rd down plays. Kinnick has had a rich history of the crowd making a difference because of the noise. Especially during 2:30 games.

The Norm chant will start the game, but I have no doubt when push comes to shove, if need be, Kinnick will support the team as needed, they always have, always will.

If the AD can get the message out about what color to wear they can get the message out about what down to chant "Norm". I don't think this is a fail, and I don't think they screwed up. I think they took a half baked idea created by the fans, enhanced it, and embraced it.

I like the first down idea for only one reason i think it would be great to motivate on 1st down and we dont really do alot on first down right now. I can tell you that when the vistor is on a 3rd down usually its not any words being said just one load annoying roar that has to bother the opposition. I think the roar is more devastating to the snap count than Norm Norm Norm.

Use Norm on first down and yell like a mad man on 3 downs.

I totally agree. The roar will definitely be more disruptive to the opposition on 3rd down than chanting "Norm." I always thought it was stupid of them to do the Norm chant 3rd down, and I am pleased that the University of Iowa is trying to change it to 1st down only. I wish the Facebookers would just relent and change their page to say do it on first down, but it sounds like they are resisting.

In my opinion, the marketing department has taken a grand and heartfelt gesture by concerned fans and @#&$ed it up. This would be forgivable if they had sent this out earlier in the week but now they've jacked it up and confused people. Don't these jack balls have any actual "fans" working there? How can they be so late to this party?

Those of you that think people yelling NOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRMMMMMMM won't be loud enough are crazy. People who don't normally yell would be yelling.

The reg posted 3rd down. Hearing a mezmorizing chant 70,000+ strong would be enough to screw up a lot of people on ANY down. Either way this will be sick!

Actually it states this

"Hawkeye fans are encouraged to shout “Normâ€￾ every time the Badger offense approaches the line of scrimmage for a first down play."

That's every play!!!!

I actually think what they meant to say that when the Badgers line up for a 1st down play on 3rd down but they failed to make this clear. It should be done on every 3rd down play to get the D energized.

Latest posts