Noah Fant

Why is that pertinent to how we used him? I'll admit i remember them trying not to overuse him early that year, because he hadn't played...but after they rested him in the first half at Illinois they realized they had to ride the horse and hope he didn't break down.
It's only pertinent if you know that Shonn Greene was the best RB on the team, pretty much the minute he first stepped foot on campus.

This is his HS coach. Not sure of relation.

The more I think about this Tweet, the worse it portrays Chris Fant. He's a high school football coach that's complaining about how his family member was used in a game that they won comfortably. I know how Chris would take that from one of his high school parents, in the same situation. He would NOT like it. Not one bit.

Chris should know that you don't coach your kid (or brother) from the side line! I'm sure he just loves it when parents do it at his games.

Folks should go back and watch the game. Just a couple things go differently and Fant has a huge game. From re-watching it's obvious that Iowa puts in a lot of stuff every week to get Fant in favorable matchups. Random bad luck that this week weird stuff happened on several of them, and Fant still caught 4 balls and scored a TD.
  • First half, the drive that ends with the fake FG, Iowa is lined up 3rd and goal, Stanley in gun. The whistle blows right as Iowa snaps it, the play is a bubble screen to Fant in the right flat, 2 other receivers are blocking and one safety against Fant in lots of space. More than likely an easy score for Fant there. After the TO Iowa goes to a different formation and play (not surprising). They had caught Gophers in a bad matchup and if not for Fleck calling TO would have scored (likely).
  • First half, 2nd quarter. Iowa motions to get Fant single coverage against a safety running straight down the field. He is 2 steps beyond the defender, Stanley underthrows the ball and it's batted away. If he lofts it or just throws it ahead of Fant it's a long TD.
  • First play of 4th quarter, 2nd and 4 at the Iowa 40. Play-action, Stanley drops to pass and Fant has run a wheel route (or out and up) matchup against a safety or LB (can't tell). Entire side of the field is cleared out so Stanley can put the ball way out in front of him. As Stanley goes to throw the DE has beaten Jackson and hits Stanley as he throws. The ball falls way short.
What it shows is that a lot has to happen on a given play for a guy to get the ball, even plays designed specifically to get him the ball. If Iowa snaps the ball 1/10h of a second sooner down on the goal line, Fant gets the ball on the bubble screen and likely scores. If Stanley throws a better ball to Fant down the seam it's a very long TD. If Jackson makes a better block on the wheel route...we don't know what happens but I like Fant matched up in that situation.

In terms of snap counts, I have no idea how they determine who is in on what play, but for obvious reasons that should be left to the coaches. But it's obvious Fant is a huge part of the game plan every week. If even 1 of the above plays works out (and they all easily could have), the discussion is completely different.

Why is that pertinent to how we used him? I'll admit i remember them trying not to overuse him early that year, because he hadn't played...but after they rested him in the first half at Illinois they realized they had to ride the horse and hope he didn't break down.

Good grief. Greene was on campus one year (as a freshman). Was behind Albert Young and Damian Sims, 2 very good backs in 2006. Played some. Next year he had to go to Kirkwood for academic reasons (2007). Then returned in 2008 and rushed for 100+ in every game and won Doak Walked Award. I cannot understand how Greene is an example of Iowa not playing the best guy.

Someone is smelling "NFL contract." Kind of pathetic.

The thing is the NFL does not care really very much about college numbers. They do to a degree, but it's all about the film. What Fant is putting on film is tremendous. You can see him running by guys, even if the ball is underthrown.

If I'm Noah, I'm calling this guy and saying "What the hell are you doing? Shut up or I'll come home and kick your ass".

This.

As of now, he is still the 1st or 2nd TE off the board. He will get his money. His numbers project out well, 40 to 50 receptions, 10 or 11 TD(s). Noah needs to squash this, tell his brother to chill.

Agreed. Fant gets a lot of attention now from defense. They definitely are aware of him running down the middle of the field. I too have been perplexed about the number of snaps Fant gets in the TE rotation. The coaches obviously consider Hockenson the best in-line TE they have. I suppose they rest Fant some due to the number of routes he is running where he runs a long way down the field. Iowa has a very nice situation at TE. Both guys got TD's yesterday. I'm betting Fant has a huge game either against Indiana or Maryland.

I can’t understand why fant isn’t getting more snaps as a slot style receiver, but I also have to agree with the coaches, I think hockenson is the better player. I don’t even think fant would be a high draft pick after this year. I see his physical gifts, but I can’t see those translate onto the field with dominating play.

Folks should go back and watch the game. Just a couple things go differently and Fant has a huge game. From re-watching it's obvious that Iowa puts in a lot of stuff every week to get Fant in favorable matchups. Random bad luck that this week weird stuff happened on several of them, and Fant still caught 4 balls and scored a TD.
  • First half, the drive that ends with the fake FG, Iowa is lined up 3rd and goal, Stanley in gun. The whistle blows right as Iowa snaps it, the play is a bubble screen to Fant in the right flat, 2 other receivers are blocking and one safety against Fant in lots of space. More than likely an easy score for Fant there. After the TO Iowa goes to a different formation and play (not surprising). They had caught Gophers in a bad matchup and if not for Fleck calling TO would have scored (likely).
  • First half, 2nd quarter. Iowa motions to get Fant single coverage against a safety running straight down the field. He is 2 steps beyond the defender, Stanley underthrows the ball and it's batted away. If he lofts it or just throws it ahead of Fant it's a long TD.
  • First play of 4th quarter, 2nd and 4 at the Iowa 40. Play-action, Stanley drops to pass and Fant has run a wheel route (or out and up) matchup against a safety or LB (can't tell). Entire side of the field is cleared out so Stanley can put the ball way out in front of him. As Stanley goes to throw the DE has beaten Jackson and hits Stanley as he throws. The ball falls way short.
What it shows is that a lot has to happen on a given play for a guy to get the ball, even plays designed specifically to get him the ball. If Iowa snaps the ball 1/10h of a second sooner down on the goal line, Fant gets the ball on the bubble screen and likely scores. If Stanley throws a better ball to Fant down the seam it's a very long TD. If Jackson makes a better block on the wheel route...we don't know what happens but I like Fant matched up in that situation.

In terms of snap counts, I have no idea how they determine who is in on what play, but for obvious reasons that should be left to the coaches. But it's obvious Fant is a huge part of the game plan every week. If even 1 of the above plays works out (and they all easily could have), the discussion is completely different.
I don't think they under utilize Fant. Not at all. I think Hockinson is good enough that he deserves his minutes. It's unusual to have two TEs like we have, at the same time. Which is why I would prefer to see Fant in the slot. I wouldn't be upset to see him playing some outside WR. He's a mismatch where ever you put him. If you put him on the outside, the Safety has to stay wide to help. If you put him in the slot, he gets a LB or a Safety in coverage.

The thing is the NFL does not care really very much about college numbers. They do to a degree, but it's all about the film. What Fant is putting on film is tremendous. You can see him running by guys, even if the ball is underthrown.
No doubt. And his combine numbers will be off the charts. I'd be more concerned about him getting hurt, than anything else.

Good grief. Greene was on campus one year (as a freshman). Was behind Albert Young and Damian Sims, 2 very good backs in 2006. Played some. Next year he had to go to Kirkwood for academic reasons (2007). Then returned in 2008 and rushed for 100+ in every game and won Doak Walked Award. I cannot understand how Greene is an example of Iowa not playing the best guy.

You got to it before me. I couldn't remember the school Greene was attending in fall 2007. I remembered he had a job moving furniture in Cedar Rapids.

My god...this is where I kind of shake my head at a coach saying that. I'm not saying Fant wouldn't be a great player elsewhere...but Iowa's system has obviously showcased him. He led the country in TDs last year for TEs. He's a first round draft choice lock...and he's got 5 TDs now and will break the TD record he set last year.

Chris...shut your freaking pie hole.

The NFL does look well beyond statistics, but, the way the CBA is set up, rookies are paid according to a formula that includes draft position. Fant will be a first-rounder, but, if he were to have a big year statistically, and all the extra exposure that affords him, it could mean the difference of 10 or more draft slots. That's especially the case with a player like him, whom has nothing to worry about when it comes to his combine numbers.

All of the above are accurate. I noted the same as well. The seam pass was a TD for sure. People like to bitch. I often times find the ones who bitch the most know the least about what they're saying.

I assume he's referring to the amount of plays he's on the sideline. Not so much how often he's used on the plays he's actually in the game. Still a douchey thing to say, but I kind of agree he's on the sideline too much.

Good grief! You not only watched the game but did some kick ass analysis. Of course, this will be ignored by the usual suspects. Anyway, thank you.

Latest posts